Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2008, 09:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

McLeodganj, Dharamsala

In McLeodganj, Dharamsala 2 days ago at 3pm the Dalai Lama's teaching was thru and hundreds of people filled the steep street leading up from the temple. I was walking down the hill toward the temple as were many others. The road was shoulder to shoulder with jostling people. All of a sudden I hear screams behind me, the sound of screeching BRAKES/TIRES and before I can turn to see what is happening I am knocked to the ground by a hard blow to my legs. I and several people have been hit by a Tata Indica Taxi that was coming down the hill behind me. Four Indian people were hit oddly enough in a street full of Tibetans. One Indian woman was hit hard enough to go over the bonnet, dent it and break the windshield. The impact with me broke the headlight, dented the bonnet and sent me thru the air and dumped me face first on the street where I was expecting to get run over but, the car stopped just as it got to me. I sustained bruised and scuffed knees, a sprained ankle, a wrenched back, a minor bump on the head and a bruised hand. No bones broken. The Indian woman is being held for observation. She was badly bruised on the hip and may have broken bones. They are not releasing her just yet. Nobody else was hurt seriously.

The crowd, filled with the Dalai Lama's message of peace and enlightenment, pulled the Indian driver out of the car and beat the living sh*t out of him.

Some people here are saying that the Tata Indica is known for brake failures. This is what the driver claimed. I do not believe it. I do not think Tata would let such a thing go. Any input on this?

I am okay. I have been hurt much worse playing North American basketball. I am feeling very sore and VERY LUCKY today. I am now driving and walking even more carefully.
Old 26th February 2008, 10:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Jeez, glad to hear that you got out without any fractures or other major injuries. Could have been one hell of a mess, it sounds like you are lucky to be alive.

I don't know if brake "failure" could have happened since the car did stop eventually but it may definitely have been a case of worn out brake pads? Wheels locking up as well.

Take care mate. And a speedy recovery as well.

Last edited by suman : 26th February 2008 at 10:06.
Old 26th February 2008, 10:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Shocked to read about this, DirtyDan : the good thing is that you did not get any major injuries. You are very lucky, yes.

Best Wishes for your quick recovery.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear Dan that you are safe and so are the other people who got injured.

As Suman said, these are lame excuses people put up for lack of control, the cab did stop eventually on the downward slope, a brake failure would have caused a havoc with such crowds in the front.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The crowd, filled with the Dalai Lama's message of peace and enlightenment, pulled the Indian driver out of the car and beat the living sh*t out of him.
That was a good one. Shows how much people actually care.

Quote:
I am okay. I have been hurt much worse playing North American basketball. I am feeling very sore and VERY LUCKY today. I am now driving and walking even more carefully.
Get well soon, buddy. It could have been worse if the car didnt actually stop.
Old 26th February 2008, 12:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dan ! Good to know that you were through with the minimal of injuries and hopefully the woman too gets back to normalcy. Damn these cabbies !
Old 26th February 2008, 14:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dan, glad to know that you escaped with minor injuries. Nothing serious. As Suman said, claiming brake failure in an accident, the driver of the culprit vehicle take refuge in this lame excuse.

A few days back I was driving a Land Rover Sports of a friend of mine who had acquired this recently and on the Toll plaza on NH8 I slowed down for the toll and suddenly herad aloud thud from the back and a mild jerk to self. A look in the RVM showed a TATA Indica call centre car.

Got down and the driver with folded hands said - 'sahab, brake fail ho gaya'. I checked the Rover for dmage and it had only a minor scratch on the rear bumper. Parked the Rover on the side and took the wheels of the Indica with the driver. The brakes were fine. Gave him a couple of tight slaps and let him go. His bonnet was crushed and the HLs were damaged.

I was shaking with anger. Get well soon Dan..
Old 26th February 2008, 14:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Parked the Rover on the side and took the wheels of the Indica with the driver. The brakes were fine. Gave him a couple of tight slaps and let him go.
.....I can just imagine you doing that. This was like the Mastercard ad - PRICELESS lol!!
Old 26th February 2008, 14:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got down and the driver with folded hands said - 'sahab, brake fail ho gaya'. I checked the Rover for dmage and it had only a minor scratch on the rear bumper. Parked the Rover on the side and took the wheels of the Indica with the driver. The brakes were fine. Gave him a couple of tight slaps and let him go. His bonnet was crushed and the HLs were damaged.
Although i am for non-violence, i totally agree to this. A perfect example of tailgating.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2008, 14:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good to know you didn't get any major injuries Dan. Unfortunately our roads are filled with careless & callous drivers. Hope you recover soon.

Quote:
LOL that's Indian mob mentality for you!

Quote:
Gave him a couple of tight slaps and let him go. His bonnet was crushed and the HLs were damaged.
Good old Guruji!
Old 26th February 2008, 14:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am not surprised that this has happened - the roads of Mcleodganj are so narrow and full of pilgrims. Maybe they should (a) build bypasses so that the existing roads through teh town are made into pedestrian malls, and (b) cordon off people so that there is enough room for cars to go through. I have myself driven through Mcledganj with my heart in my mouth, so narrow the roads were and dense the crowds.
Old 26th February 2008, 19:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bipass needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am not surprised that this has happened - the roads of Mcleodganj are so narrow and full of pilgrims. Maybe they should (a) build bypasses so that the existing roads through the town are made into pedestrian malls, and (b) cordon off people so that there is enough room for cars to go through. I have myself driven through Mcledganj with my heart in my mouth, so narrow the roads were and dense the crowds.
Most shops and businesses in McLeodganj are owned by Indians sinced Tibetans do not have citizenship, they have refugee status only, and can not own real estate. The shops are rented to many Tibetans giving the impression that they are the owners.

But the local government (H.P.) does not make the kind of commitment to roads and infrastructure because they regard it as a Tibetan enclave and second class. The area brings in a lot of tourist dollars to Indians and it would do even better if they would put in a bipass and fix the roads. Someone will be killed here before too long. Just down the road in Dharamsala 2 busses have gone over the same steep embankment in the last few months on the same deadly curve. NOW they are trying to fix it but they are still going very slow with the work.
Old 26th February 2008, 21:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Praise be to the Lord that you are safe, DirtyDan!

I found this the most curious line in your post! Maybe I understand what you were trying to say.
Quote:
Four Indian people were hit oddly enough in a street full of Tibetans.
Old 26th February 2008, 23:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

good to know you're safe, Dan.

And well, what the driver prolly meant was that normally he stops in that distance, just this day his brakes locked/didn't work as expected.

For him to have just hit four people - its entirely a case of braking like half a second too late, just 2-3m too far. Which explains your minor bruises. Pretty much like tailgating as described by gd.

But then, all's well tonight! Cheers
Old 27th February 2008, 02:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

God be with you,Dan! Glad to know that the injuries aren't too bad.
Wish you a speedy recovery..
Take care.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks