Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2008, 17:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

rear passengers are wearing seat belts?

any hi-resolution pic of this wreckage? when you see what your car can become - you tend to go easy on the pedal.

strict no drunk drivers. i don't even take taxis to/from airports if i could have a driver, a family member or a friend come by to drop/pick me up. and i always offer to drop or pick up family members/friends when driver is not around. mainly because lot of taxi drivers are drunk in the nights.

i was watching some program on tv where the car's computer detects alcohol on drivers fingers,etc. and refuses to start. serious, i think it was by Nissan.
Old 26th February 2008, 18:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Because of morons like these guys who drive cars at 180kmpn when drunk, cities enforce pubs to close to early. One might feel sad at the loss of lives. On the other hand, I would say this is Darwinism at play, since these folks didn't hurt anyone else but themselves.
Old 26th February 2008, 18:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The India gate road from the Gate to the Rashtrapati bhavan is one single well laid out wide stretch (although with multiple intersections inbetween) but at the early hours, its usually deserted and a perfect spot for racing i.e. recipe for disaster.

No doubt this had to happen.
I think this is the hightest profile road in India. Is indian government not competent enough to keep this road safe? no (lawful) cops, cameras, radars? I am sure this happens every other night, just the crashes are avoided.
Old 26th February 2008, 19:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

That is a sad news. May their souls Rest In Peace.

BTW isn't Laura equipped with 6 Airbags ?
Old 26th February 2008, 21:20   #20
BHPian

Aah! Real sad the 2 people lost their lives of no fault of theirs, and a beautiful Lolla destroyed. RIP for both the 2 people and the Lolla. And wishing a get well soon for those 2 injured.

cya
A
Old 26th February 2008, 22:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes Alcohol is the issue which gets lower headlines than the speed part. Its Alcohol that is known to give a false sense of security fuelling need for speeding more than what the place can handle.

Last edited by 1100D : 26th February 2008 at 22:10.
Old 26th February 2008, 22:42   #22
BHPian

very unfortunate incident. the girl who lost her life was my cousins batchmate. hope everyone understands that speed thrills but it also kills especially when you are drunk.

may their souls RIP.
Old 27th February 2008, 09:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The India gate road from the Gate to the Rashtrapati bhavan is one single well laid out wide stretch (although with multiple intersections inbetween) but at the early hours, its usually deserted and a perfect spot for racing i.e. recipe for disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I think this is the hightest profile road in India. Is indian government not competent enough to keep this road safe? no (lawful) cops, cameras, radars? I am sure this happens every other night, just the crashes are avoided.
Guys, this did not happen on Rajpath (which is the stretch that you are referring to) - it happened on the perimeter road that runs around the India Gate area, in front of the National Gallery of Modern Art. The Delhi Police have actually stepped up the anti-drink & drive campaign, in fact just a day before, they were on the roads around Chanakyapuri (diplomatic area with damn good roads to zip around in) in the wee hours of the morning & challaned around 45 people for drunk driving alone & over a 100 more for rash driving (this was around 3 in the morning). Just that they were not at the right place at the right time on Sunday morning.

Also, the general feeling now is that the Police need to be given the power to throw the offenders in jail rather than fine them a paltry Rs 2,000 which really means nothing to these reckless guys & is hardly a deterrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
very unfortunate incident. the girl who lost her life was my cousins batchmate.
Sorry to hear that, its always worse when someone knows a victim personally

Last edited by suman : 27th February 2008 at 09:48.
Old 27th February 2008, 10:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Then I doubt they could have picked up that speed, its a ring around the gate with a very big circumference

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Guys, this did not happen on Rajpath (which is the stretch that you are referring to) - it happened on the perimeter road that runs around the India Gate area, in front of the National Gallery of Modern Art.
Old 27th February 2008, 11:19   #25
Team-BHP Support

Guys don't be too hung up on the speed part.
If you go through recent claims of Delhi police, there have been some Sumo's in Delhi which drive at 150kmph.
I guess they were at 100-120kmph, which in itself is a very very nasty speed to crash at.
couple that with rollover and no seatbelts on rear passengers(the girl was apparently partially out of the side window according to news sources) you have a recipe for disaster.
Old 27th February 2008, 12:08   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If that was Bangalore we would have had a few speed breakers which come up by now.
Old 27th February 2008, 13:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I doubt they could have picked up that speed, its a ring around the gate with a very big circumference
I'm talking about the main road that rings all the way round, known as the India Gate Circle - Rajpath happens to be one of the arteries that feed this road, there are so many others like Dr Zakir Hussain Marg, Pandara Road, Ashoka Road to name a few. In fact the spot is between Sher Shah Road & Zakir Hussain Marg.

Well, you can do 120-130 easily around that entire perimeter, the road curves gently all the way round.

I don't know about 180 but they would have been going at a heck of a pace - I mean, all it takes is a miscalculation even at 50-60 for disaster to strike, why 180? And, my question is, how did they know it was 180?
Old 27th February 2008, 13:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And, my question is, how did they know it was 180?
Maybe the speedo needle got stuck there after the crash.
Old 27th February 2008, 14:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

May they Rest in Peace.

Whats the condition of the front passenger and driver?
Old 27th February 2008, 14:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Delhi Police have actually stepped up the anti-drink & drive campaign, in fact just a day before, they were on the roads around Chanakyapuri (diplomatic area with damn good roads to zip around in) in the wee hours of the morning & challaned around 45 people for drunk driving alone & over a 100 more for rash driving (this was around 3 in the morning).
Yeah, evidently they stood around the area near Hotel Ashok & one of the people challaned was an MP from Haryana.

Quote:
Don't know about 180 in a Laura but a couple of years back I had easily done a round of this road at around 140-150 late at night when there was no traffic around. Due to its huge width the road does allow you to take such liberties but you have to be careful as it can turn ugly very, very fast with the dividers in certain section in place.

Last year I remember seeing an overturned Optra at the same road with 2 girls & 2 boys standing outside it. Evidently, they had hit the side pavement & rolled the car. Luckily, no one was injured.

Most Viewed