Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 22:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Caution: Little angel/fairy/princess inside (Baby on board signs)

I see dozens of cars with the sign in my office parking lot- Do people bring their princesses/princes/yetis to work?
I have no doubt such people also do not hesitate to speak on phone phone while driving to work.

I really don't think the board serves its purpose except mental satisfaction for a few.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:36   #47
BHPian

I had the exact same question. Most of the cars I've seen with these signs dont really have a baby inside. Just a man driving who maybe wants be called "little princess".

Now is it really that hard to pull out that sign when the baby is physically not present on board.
black_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 12:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

These signs usually warn others about the skill of the driver, in Bangalore, I find most of these stickers are on cars without any kids on board. The baby label is quite appropriate for most of these clowns who are into email/sms/animated conversations while driving.

I dread to think what the situation would be with a baby on board.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:43   #49
BHPian

I am going to get one since my daughter recently turned 1. Although in Pune traffic I do not believe that it will cause any difference.

If either my wife or I notice such a board on any vehicle then we do tend keep a safe distance and allow leeway to the vehicle and I do believe there are other drivers with such driving habits too

OT: On a lighter note, whenever I hear an ambulance siren I instinctively think that the guy is behind me and start searching for it frantically in the RVM. Many a times its an ambulance passing in the opposite direction lost in traffic.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:40   #50
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

This thing is such a farce. Indian's believe in making life statements without understand the true meaning. This concept as far as I understand started in UK, where in case of an accident the rescue team is supposed to be aware that there is a child on board at the time of rescue. It is not suppose the mean anything under normal driving conditions

People make extreme statement that when the see this board, they give space, do not honk etc. This is laughable as in most cases the child is no where in the car, parent could be breaking the law (Eg. talking on mobile), no child seats are used, loud music may be playing in the car etc etc

This is another example of aping one another just to make statement and diluting the very reason why it was put up in the first place. In India as long as we drive the way we do, the road conditions remaining as they are, this will remain just a statement that you are a proud parent and nothing else. If you are a proud parent do you need to advertise?

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 08:37   #51
BHPian

At least people putting those stickers/board could remove them when there's no baby in car. Also, I am wondering why we Indian drivers haven't yet caught up with stick figure meme/mania.
Old 28th August 2013, 15:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
This thing is such a farce. Cheers

KPS
Thanks for the information regarding the correct use of this board. I agree with everything in your post except the part when you mention that it is laughable for people to give space to any car displaying such a board or not honk too much near such a car.

Such behavior like giving space to other cars and not honking are all part of good driving and if any such sign prompts some users to observe good driving practices then I for one will think that the sign has served its purpose.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 13:59   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
This thing is such a farce. ... If you are a proud parent do you need to advertise?
Wow! Truly sad to see such cynicism. Would you feel the same way about people sticking 'Army' or 'Doctor' or 'Team-BHP' or 'AAA' or 'Univ of Timbuktu' etc stickers. Or is this frustration reserved only for 'proud' parents, who have their hands full keeping babies engaged while they drive our tough streets.

The signs don't ask for you to give way or honk less, and they serve no useful 'rescue' purpose here. They just alert others that the driver may be distracted. At least that's the spirit in which I take it. And if new parents plan to fix it - more power to them. And I hope we show them the same consideration and extend the same courtesies we give every fellow motorist.

I believe you get cheaper stickers at most large baby shops, though the MotherCare ones (often on sale) have the advantage of being removable when baby is not on board.
Cheers...Juggy
Juggy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 05:38   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I recently bought a "DOG on Board" stick on for my car. It is not easily available here (at least Ive not seen any available for sale in India) so I bought it online from the UK.
Simply because I liked the visual on it and I do have two lovely pet dogs.

Yes I agree that the Dogs do not come to office with me or anything.
However, I just like leaving the sign on the rear window.

Going by some of the comments here it is almost as if this is Criminal offence!

I do appreciate that these signs are meant to warn other users to be considerate and I know that people outside of India do have some consideration in these situations.

But the whole notion of "consideration" in India, is a completely laughable one in my opinion!

This is because we are generally a bunch of selfish, greedy, inconsiderate and mannerless yokels, when it comes to kindness, consideration and decent behaviour on the roads, while driving.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th August 2013 at 05:40.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:58   #55
BHPian

I have been watching this car in the Tambaram -Velachery main road at least for the last three years. Every time it carried that “Baby Inside” sticker/hanger.

I don’t know about his job and his intentions
Attached Thumbnails
Caution: Little angel/fairy/princess inside (Baby on board signs)-88e4b89616404d2cbfebbd45ee5ace14.jpeg  

Old 25th October 2019, 11:14   #56
BHPian

May be I am wrong. But I remember reading somewhere that Baby on board is not a indication for other drivers to be careful , but it was supposed be an indicator to rescue workers in case of an accident.
When baby seats were not so popular, it was possible for rescue workers to miss a baby in the accident scene especially if the baby is unconscious or difficult weather conditions.

Now it has became more of a feel good gimmick
Old 25th October 2019, 11:27   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
When baby seats were not so popular, it was possible for rescue workers to miss a baby in the accident scene especially if the baby is unconscious or difficult weather conditions.
Not true. This sign is nothing but a novelty item.

Quote:
It is a common belief that the sign was created so that, in the event of an accident, the emergency workers would know to look for an infant.
“I’ve never heard that theory before,” said Paul Maxwell, a paramedic with thirty years experience who runs a child injury prevention organization. “I surveyed my crew and everyone thinks its to warn people to be extra cautious driving behind so as to not crash into them.”
Source

Last edited by Who_are_you : 25th October 2019 at 11:28. Reason: Formatting
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed