Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2005, 09:59   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity
Could someone explain about tubeless tyres getting punctured.. I never knew it would..

Vinsanity,

If you were under the impression that tubeless tires are punture proof, think again.
The deal is that tubeless tires are *less* prone to blowouts when they are punctured.
(and when i say blowout i mean a huge and sudden drop in tirepressure which generally causes a loss of control of the vehicle.)
Tubeless tires are supposed to leak more gradually.

It is also possible that in the vectra accident the tire hit a stone or curb or something...but we will never know for sure.

cya
R
Old 31st January 2005, 11:51   #32
BHPian

Thanks a ton for clearing my doubts on that..
My cousin wanted to put tubeless radial on his lancer GLX d...
The mechani said it would give him better road clearance.... Another uncle of mine said that he read somewhere tubeless tyres are to be used on cars which will be running on very good roads.. So is it not adviced for places where there are unmetaled, with lots of humps etc?!!
Old 31st January 2005, 12:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hey Vinsanity,
any tire can get punctured .in a tube-type tire,the air loss is rapid and u can lose control of the vehicle as there is a gap between the tube and tire.
when a foreign object pierces the tubeless tire,the loss in air could still be there,but it will not be as rapid as the tubetype.
u can have better control than a punctured tubetype .

but the tire bursting in a tubeless tire is something i fail to understand.
also,i fail to understand the logic of people opting for cheap chinese /korean tires which may look cool but suffer on quality.
Thanks for clearing my mind about that....

But hey, that underlined signature of u'rs!! Guess you are talking about me...

But come on, tbhp is all about asking things you dont know and getting them cleared.. Many things I'v learnt from here.. Wish to learn more..

But I guess by keeping quite and pretending to be a guru at stuff wont help you any better.. Now atleast i'l be in a position to help my cousins or uncles about stuff they are not aware of..

_Cheers_
Old 31st January 2005, 12:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for clearing my doubts on that..
My cousin wanted to put tubeless radial on his lancer GLX d...
The mechani said it would give him better road clearance.... Another uncle of mine said that he read somewhere tubeless tyres are to be used on cars which will be running on very good roads.. So is it not adviced for places where there are unmetaled, with lots of humps etc?!!
Hey Vin,

Saw this tv show yday in which Homrazd (ACI editor) was clearing some doubts about tubeless tyres. When he came to the point about tubeless tyres not being suitable for indian potholed roads, he pointed out that tubeless tyres are used on vehicles in africa as well where the roads are much worse than the ones in india. So its jus a mindset thing.
Also, correct me if am wrong... all those rally vehicles, dont they use tubeless tyres???

As for that vectra's tyre burst, is it possible for a tubeless tyre to have a blowout if its sidewall gets ruptured ?

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 31st January 2005, 12:33   #35
BHPian

something to do with speed rating maybe???

But i would have thought the Vectras would come with H rated atleast (good for 210kmph for an hour i think...) Scarey....
Old 31st January 2005, 12:35   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
tubeless tyres are to be used on cars which will be running on very good roads.. So is it not adviced for places where there are unmetaled, with lots of humps etc?!!

Hey Vin,

Let me just say, in contrast to SS's signature - It is better to ask a question and get knowledge rather than keep quiet and remain a fool forever :P

About the mechanic saying it would raise the ground clearance...that was probably because of the tire size of the tubeless tire he must have been offering.

About tubeless not being good for bad roads, the deal is that tubeless tires dont have tubes (uhh..yeah).. so the way the air is contained in the tire is simply by the bead of the tire (edge of the tires sidewall) pressing againt the rim of the wheel, and being held there by the airpressure.
Now on REALLY bad roads, the steel wheels which come stock with most cars can take a real beating and may get dented, and hence that airseal may be ruined. That is the reason. If there were tubesin the tires the air would still be contained even if the rim was bent and not touching the bead of the tire at a point. get it?

With alloy wheels, they are less likely to bend like steel on impact, hence they are better with tubeless tires for that reason. Also the fact that steel wheels tend to rust and corrode a bit, once again ruining that air tight seal, is another reason that alloys are preffered with tubeless tires.

cya
R
Old 31st January 2005, 12:38   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
As for that vectra's tyre burst, is it possible for a tubeless tyre to have a blowout if its sidewall gets ruptured ?
Yes, ofcourse. A large hole or cut being suddenly ripped into a tire will cause the compressed air to rush out at a very fast pace, causing a sudden blowout and making it incredibly difficult to control the car (ESPECIALLY at 160km/h)

R
Old 31st January 2005, 12:44   #38
BHPian

amitoj, rehaan,
Thanks people for that info..
Yup, will always ask stuff and clear my doubts no matter what others think.. Hello, guess tbhp is about educating guys like me about stuff we dont know as well....

_Cheers_
Old 31st January 2005, 12:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

yeah mee too surprised that the head lamps are very much intact & so are the doors.. nice to know he's safe, whoa what a car
Old 31st January 2005, 13:36   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

but nothing should happen on good roads like the ones from here to goa, experessway and all right ...
to tube less tyres
they only burst if the sidewall has been cut oir there is a biog hole right
Old 31st January 2005, 14:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But hey, that underlined signature of u'rs!! Guess you are talking about me...

_Cheers_

hahaha,
no man .its not aimed at anyone. i just came across this line when i was going through some "Quotes site".i liked it thats why i copied it .
no one is a guru over here nor does anyone pretend to be .
Old 31st January 2005, 15:41   #42
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I'll give you a first hand experience of a tubeless tyre blow out.

Happened to me in December last year. Was heading home after a night out and suddely "POOWWW...pfffffsssssssssstttttttttt...". Yup, my rear left Eagle F1 suffered a massive blowout. I was only driving at around 50kmph, so no drama.

When I got the wheel off and saw the cause, I was amused by the irony! The cause of the blowout was half a horseshoe that had probably come off a horse (they give poney rides in that area) and somehow sharpened up to resemble a knife!!

The (half) horseshoe.

I happened to be the unlucky soul to drive over it in such a way that it lodged itself in my tyre, instantly ripping a huge hole that caused the sudden loss of air.

The tyre was useless (atleast to me) and I went in for a new tyre instead of trying to repair the damage, something the tyrewallah's always try to tell you to do.

So, using a tubeless tyre is not a surefire way to ensure no blowouts (that would be run-flat tyres). It is just a further step in safety. They usually withstand nails etc. really well, an area where using a tubed tyre simply cannot. Plus, how often do you run over flattened horseshoes!

Last edited by Rtech : 31st January 2005 at 15:43.
Old 31st January 2005, 17:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech

When I got the wheel off and saw the cause, I was amused by the irony! The cause of the blowout was half a horseshoe that had probably come off a horse (they give poney rides in that area) and somehow sharpened up to resemble a knife!!
RTech dude thats one helluva "iron"ic situation u were in... do u still have that horseshoe? for good luck??
Old 31st January 2005, 19:17   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
do u still have that horseshoe? for good luck??
Yup, sure do. Not sure about the good luck though!! Well, I should atleast get 50% of the considering the circumstances!
Old 31st January 2005, 19:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Holy Mother!! Wot an accident.Now only if this was'nt a Vectra???
This car while racing must've hit some kinda object due to which the tire bursted and the car turtled.Otherwise,it had tube-type tires.
I believe Vectra's come with Goodyear NCT 5,which are tubeless radials.

X

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks