Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2008, 15:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Encourage the use of Public transport, that will reduce the burden a whole lot. To achieve that, improve the public transport & make it usable for the various categories of commuters. Bangalore does have a good transport system, maybe needs to be expanded.
Old 20th March 2008, 15:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Car pooling is ok, but since most IT / Private companies (i think more % of users fall in here) are not like govt offices - meaning, start back @ 5pm, its practically difficult to commute.
How about all car users using ONLY 2 wheelers for one day in a week
Ofcourse, those who have bike & car, can join in this. This should alteast free some space on the road.
If you are the one who hate driving in traffic, then driver can drive you on your bike...
Old 25th March 2008, 11:58   #18
BHPian

More than writing stuff here, can we as a large internet based community with significant presence in Bangalore, do something about the traffic mess with the traffic cops or Times India? Maybe our Admin / mods can write to Times and ask them how we can help with this? We've had multiple threads with the ideas here and I agree with each of them, but is there a way we can show our strength as a knowledgeable community to the rest of Bangalore than just posting on the forum?
Old 25th March 2008, 13:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ok. We should follow what we recommend. So, to begin, i was planing to have a "no-personal-vehicle-week" this week. Meaning, i don't use my vehicle unless its really needed. Since my office is around 20-30 min walk, I was planing to walk to office also. But due to rain, I postponed this for next week.
So, next week i reduce my vehicle space in bangalore road I not sure if this will make any difference, but if there are some other participants to this, then it would make real difference.
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:56   #20
BHPian

Using Indian Railways

All,

I work in Bangalore. My office is in Old Madras Road. I used to drive everyday to work. Thanks to the Metro work travelling time each way was spiralling.It was close an hour and a half each way !!

Thanks to a some folks at work we are now taking trains back home.
Quite a few of the folks live in the North West part of Bangalore

This is what we do
- Take a train either from Krishnajapuram or Byapannahalli (ticket charge INR 3/-)
- Disembark at city station
- Take a train that goes to Tumkur and get off at Malleshwaram (ticket charge INR 2/-)

Total commute time is close to 20 mins.

If we can fix the connectivity to the station nothing can beat this.

For more information on train details check the following links

- eRail.in - Better Way To Search Trains - Indian Railways City Jn.

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Lane discipline! Moving in-out, sticking to them and the sense of moving to left if moving slow and while not overtaking.
Yes no plugging gaps while stuck, just be patient things will clear in hmmm 5 secs!

Most important, P A T I E N C E, this city simply lack it.
I completely agree to Jaggu. The main problem in Bangalore is lack of PATIENCE.

Also the lane discipline has to be enforces strictly. The main reason for jam on the ring road ( ORR ) is the slow moving trucks occupying the right most ( supposed to be the fast ) lane. Traffic cops turn a blind eye to this ( since they are busy in catching two wheelers)
Old 7th April 2009, 12:52   #22
BHPian

Guys - We can go on and on about this whole thing. We can widen roads, build underpasses, overbridges, have lane markings, have better quality roads, get more buses on roads, have campaigns on traffic sense et al.

But at the end of the day if cars, autos, bikers, buses etc do not follow lane / traffic discipline and drive like MAD CAPS and if there are no STRINGENT measures to enforce traffic discipline, everything will come to a nought.
Old 7th April 2009, 13:12   #23
BHPian

As mentioned in some other posts too, it is the driver's attitude, and not poor roads, lack of underpasses, overbridges, 6 lane highways etc. which causes the gridlocks. And dont just blame the auto driver and call center sumo/tavera driver. I can confidently say that almost ALL drivers in Bangalore lack road sense. When is the last time you stopped your car to let someone cross the road? Behind the wheel, we all become devils.
Old 7th April 2009, 14:54   #24
BHPian

I suppose we could all probably formulate a document with some suggested changes and follow this up with TOI.

what say we formulate an end mission to throwing these ideas here. the mission - does not be just to clear the clutter in bangalore. we need to formulate a mission which will help us make a plan to take this forward.

lets target this discussion on how we can take this forward and then come up with what bangalore needs.

chip in with your ideas!
Old 7th April 2009, 15:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
The main problem in Bangalore is lack of PATIENCE.
Add 'Me First Attitude' to that.
Then lane discipline.
Then bus stops.(you should see the pile up opp christ college)
Rickshaw wallas stopping anywhere and everywhere they feel.
Old 7th April 2009, 16:16   #26
BHPian

Try to use public transport (BMTC Volvos, Air suspension buses) as much as possible. I have decided that I will do it atleast for 2 days a week. Used BMTC service yesterday and felt so happy about it. No more tokenisms, I will make it a regular affair
Old 7th April 2009, 16:42   #27
BHPian

I agree with many people here on LACK OF PATIENCE, mostly so the two wheelers and autos.

I experience it every morning while backing up my car to get on to the street. Two wheelers keep brushing by with no regard to discipline. I inch my way out until I can join into the traffic.I don't understand what they lose by slowing down for a few seconds. Is it that hard to brake and go?
Old 8th April 2009, 15:24   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Lane discipline! Moving in-out, sticking to them and the sense of moving to left if moving slow and while not overtaking.
Yes no plugging gaps while stuck, just be patient things will clear in hmmm 5 secs!
Ban phone usage while driving, fine in 1000's
Move those Bus stops few mts ahead from a traffic Jn.
Auto's and cabies, its high time they get some restraining!
Most important, P A T I E N C E, this city simply lack it.

Day in day out i see this. And often look like a fool trying to follow this :(
Saw a Gold (?) OHC with a Team-BHP sticker on the rear windscreen go down the wrong side of the road (cutting across the double white line) on St. John's Church Road and turn right onto St. Johns Road this morning.

Way to go, whoever you are!
Old 8th April 2009, 16:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Saw a Gold (?) OHC with a Team-BHP sticker on the rear windscreen go down the wrong side of the road (cutting across the double white line) on St. John's Church Road and turn right onto St. Johns Road this morning.

Way to go, whoever you are!
Now I understand, why some people are allergic to such stickers
Old 8th April 2009, 16:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Lane discipline is not easy with the amount of vehicles we have on the roads. It will hurt the efficiency. Just the use of common sense like not cutting dangerously in front of faster vehicles, not stopping everywhere and proper sue of signalling will solve a lot of problems.

Most Viewed