Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 15:18   #1
BHPian

I swiped an Auto

I feel sheepish. This is the first time i made mistake in 4 years of driving. I was returning last Sunday from my office by 10PM. I took the Guindy Industrial Estate Road to reach Mount road. Just at the junction, one auto guy was just standing still and not prepared to move on. He is talking to some potential rider. I waited for sometime and then honked. He did not care. By this time there was a big queue of vehicles behind me. I tried to swerve around and accidentally brushed the auto. That guy then moved a little and stopped. With lots of autos around i thought it is better to move on than to explain and apologize to the driver. On reaching home found few lines on the bottom of left back door. Though it is not a big accident but still i am feeling bad that i made the mistake.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vennarbank, sorry to hear about the marks on your door. Don't feel too bad about swiping the auto, you did us all a favour. Drinks are on me whenever we meetcheers:
Old 18th March 2008, 15:40   #3
BHPian

Don't feed bad for that, its an inadvertent mistake

Autowallas have the habit of sneaking into smaller gaps in traffic and brush many a cars in this process. They never stop to apologize and given a chance they even try to get money from the car owners. So leave the matter aside and think what are you going to do with the bruises in the car.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:21   #4
BHPian

Hey Suman stole my words! Each and every scratch on my car are from autorickshaws. And there are quite few.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

I swiped an Auto

When I get myself an all metal clad MM540, I intend to make it a habit.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:24   #6
BHPian

vennarbank, do not feel bad at all.
Auto guys (95% of them) are the most selfish and unruly drivers atleast in Bangalore.

No amount of justification such as 'They drive for long hours, it's their bread... etc is going to make me think the other way).

In addition to the abovementioned qualities, in Chennai, they literally do daylight robbery of the passengers
Old 18th March 2008, 16:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post

In addition to the abovementioned qualities, in Chennai, they literally do daylight robbery of the passengers
So you were a victim of that in the past

Once a foreigner decided to take an auto to reach our office at the other end of the road. He asked how much would he charge for it (expecting Rs.10 as the distance is hardly 300 mts) . The autowalla replied "Just 10 dollars Sir" . Without reacting to him he just walked to our office.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:53   #8
BHPian

One more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
vennarbank, do not feel bad at all.
Auto guys (95% of them) are the most selfish and unruly drivers atleast in Bangalore.

No amount of justification such as 'They drive for long hours, it's their bread... etc is going to make me think the other way).

Actually i thought of stopping and telling him. But reminding about the basic guidelines mentioned in our TBHP forum i went out as fast as i can. Till i entered the house i was worrying that some auto will suddenly appear and the auto guy will immediately quarrel with me.

Also i have a KA registered car with KA in the number plate. I think that will suffice these guys to start 'what are you doing coming from other state ?'
sort of talk. This happened once and these guys did not stop ranting till i spoke to them in the worst possible chennai tamil i can.
Old 18th March 2008, 17:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
I feel sheepish. This is the first time i made mistake in 4 years of driving. I was returning last Sunday from my office by 10PM. I took the Guindy Industrial Estate Road to reach Mount road. Just at the junction, one auto guy was just standing still and not prepared to move on. He is talking to some potential rider. I waited for sometime and then honked. He did not care. By this time there was a big queue of vehicles behind me. I tried to swerve around and accidentally brushed the auto. That guy then moved a little and stopped. With lots of autos around i thought it is better to move on than to explain and apologize to the driver. On reaching home found few lines on the bottom of left back door. Though it is not a big accident but still i am feeling bad that i made the mistake.
Next time make sure u swipe the Auto driver too.

One menace less on our Chennai Roads
Old 18th March 2008, 18:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Your WagonR might have squeezed through, not the Esteem. So, I assume you were riding Esteem. Don't feel bad. These auto drivers are morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Old 18th March 2008, 19:18   #11
BHPian

I hope the auto also got its fair share of scratches. Not that the auto driver would be hurt much by that - scratches are their favorite pastime. But sorry to hear that you received some scratches. Don't worry much about that. Good that you didn't get harassed by them as that would have really felt ****ty.

Slightly: Talking of robbing passengers, I had been a victim of that for 2 years. But the one incident that took the cake was this - I have to go just 350 mts ahead and I stop an auto for that. I offer, very generously, "20 rupees". Auto driver in response (in an agitated tone with a lot of hand movements), "20 rupees?! Po! Po!" (20 rupees? Go to hell) and drives away. I'm like .
Old 18th March 2008, 20:43   #12
BANNED

@vennarbank - buddy, it was very impolite and rude of you to use a four wheeler to swipe a three wheeler. Next time, please, please use a three wheeler to do the job. Try this - http://www.bbunl.com/images/pic19.jpg
Old 18th March 2008, 21:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

autos are the very reason i bought a car!
It worked out cheaper!
Old 19th March 2008, 10:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

This was hilarious Backseat.. I'll remember this next time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@vennarbank - buddy, it was very impolite and rude of you to use a four wheeler to swipe a three wheeler. Next time, please, please use a three wheeler to do the job. Try this - http://www.bbunl.com/images/pic19.jpg
Old 19th March 2008, 12:42   #15
rippergeo

atleast on this thread there are no arguments! everyone wants to swipe an auto. its natural. what makes my day is seeing an auto get swiped by a bus or truck.

Most Viewed