Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 12:04   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
I wonder if theres any "style" of honking being practised in here.
My honking style:
  • 2 very short taps on the horn to indicate my vehicles presence to the driver of an auto/2-wheeler, 4-wheeler in front so that, that person doesn't stop/turn abruptly
  • Hands full of fevicol & glued to the horn if some moron cuts the lane, etc..
Old 24th March 2008, 13:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

I honk but sparingly and in the nights rarely. But during the day the slow driving morons on expressway who cling to the right lane like a leech, get short blasts from my Bosch twins (stock horns) and if this still doesn't stir them then a medium hoot from the twin Nautiluses does the trick. On highways when I'm behind a long trailer or a passenger bus then a two long hoots on the Nautilus makes way...
Old 24th March 2008, 13:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

I honk to keep alive. For a bike cutting quickly through traffic - the horn's necessary to wake up the car wala gent whose RVMs are closed and rear sunshade up and is drifting across lanes, and the pedestrians who want to cross just ahead of a bus and ...!
Old 24th March 2008, 16:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I honk only when someone cuts me off or seriously endangers the well being of my car. in which case i keep the horn pressed for almost a min continuously.till the guy looks out and i can show him the finger! otherwise I'm a very silent driver and have been criticized by everyone riding with me that I don't use the horn enough.

Hey! That's exactly what I do! Some of my friends get edgy with my silence. Some even lunge for the horn when they are with me. It takes a while for me to get bugged, and when I do, the hand doesn't easily come off the horn.
Old 24th March 2008, 17:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

I honk to make the others know of my position. In a way I am saying.

"hey, dont come and bang onto me either sideways or while you try to do your circus and dont worry I will take care that I dont hit into you"
Old 24th March 2008, 17:19   #36
BHPian

I always honk when I see a vehicle moving slowly. This is because when people are driving slowly, in most cases, he is not concentrating on his driving or he will be doing something else. In this case, it is better to alert him that you are coming.

Usually when someone is driving at a good speed, he will be more alert and will look at the RVM once in a while.
Old 24th March 2008, 17:51   #37
BHPian

On the small by-lanes, where people consider the roads to be extension of their homes, you are non-existent if you dont honk. Even if they see you, they'll pretend they didnt and it's the horn that gets them to move(a little) with a heavy heart as if they are letting others to use their property for free.

In the main roads, to keep the two/three/four wheelers clear of your car you need to use them. 90% of the people dont use the rear view mirrors and unless you honk, you can never let them know of your existence. for these drivers, the world is only the front, rarely the sides and the rear world does not exist at all.

In the highways to get the lorry/bus wallah to know that you are coming up for overtake.

and generally I tend to keep some decent gap between me and the vehicle at front to allow for some sudden braking space without getting rear ended myself, and it will make me swear when a intelligent biker smoothly puts his bike in the gap and weaves from left to right and back. that's when I use the horn to blast him out of that place.
Old 16th August 2009, 15:38   #38
BHPian

No Honking Please

No to HONKING, is definitely, one area we can improve on. People still love to honk, whether its required or not. They impatiently start blowing horns at the traffic signals and during traffic jams and do not even spare the designated silence zones, such as hospitals, schools, temples, churches and mosques etc.

As a Team-BHP community, we can least do is not honk or reduce honking to the minimum, in order to support this drive.

Your suggestions & Observations are most welcome.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:59   #39
srinivas9446

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
No to HONKING, is definitely, one area we can improve on. People still love to honk, whether its required or not. They impatiently start blowing horns at the traffic signals and during traffic jams and do not even spare the designated silence zones, such as hospitals, schools, temples, churches and mosques etc.

As a Team-BHP community, we can least do is not honk or reduce honking to the minimum, in order to support this drive.

Your suggestions & Observations are most welcome.
well saurabh,

I am surprised why none have replied to you when you said a beautiful topic.

The only problem with people around are they are not conscious to honking...i have seen people riding 2 wheelers here in Bangalore with the LEFT THUMB on the horn button.

Our taxi drivers, truck guys and particularly

i dont like the horn of Activa and pulsar...but i like the horn of skoda..but generally honking does cause irritation if one is very conscious of honking

i have also heard that honking caused deafness...

I suggest everybody in the forum to try and get conscious on the streets so that we all understand how much noise is created only due to honking.

i wouldn't be ashamed here to say that i myself used to honk like a moron, till my spouse almost threaten to leave me if i dont stop honking..when i realised it, it was very bad..

I learnt from my friends abroad, that they honk only when its ab absoluely necessity and its true since i got to experience it myself many times.

I suggest everybody here please pay attention and get conscious on the streets so that we contribute to reduce noise levels.

Bye

Old 18th August 2009, 15:11   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Excessive horn usage is killing everyone with noise pollution. I find that nowadays it is mostly the 2 wheelers and Autos that literally stand on their horns most of the time.
It is a blessing to be able to put the windows up and cut out the noise around one on the roads. It would be good if we on this forum could take a conscious call on horn usage and minimize it to the best extent possible.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:14   #41
BHPian

I use three different types of Honks

1. Long Continuous honk: I use this when I overtake buses. Most of them do not care about what is going on their sides. I honk till I complete the overtake

2. Short Honks:
--> Overtaking smaller vehicles to indicate my presence. I stop honking if they have realised I'm coming.
--> Wake up some one who slept off on a red traffic light

3. Very Soft Discrete honks: To pedestrians on crowded streets. I normally don't honk at them as most of them move by their instinct or the engine noise. If they don't move for quite sometime, I give a soft honk.

Honking is considered as an insult in many countries. In India, we cannot help it sometimes.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Usually I honk because dad tells me I scare people by sneaking up behind them and overtaking them.

The only time I WANT to honk is when someone wont get out of my way...
Old 18th August 2009, 16:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

i think one should always honk, but only for following occasions.

1. while overtaking, never overtake unnoticed. may cause accident. always honk and alert the vehicle in front that you are taking over him.

2. While passing any heavy vehicle beat the damn out of his ears so that he stays in straight line. i use my pressure horn for the same.

3. while passing by idiots who are speaking over the phones and driving in their own dream world. horn so badly that he drops the phone.

no honking near schools and hospitals. no honking unnecessarily at signals.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:20   #44
BANNED

No Honk on Bull, Discreete to Continous honks at the wheel

I strictly follow the "NO HONK" unless the vehicle/person ahead of me has made a mistake when on my Bull, when in the city. Highway honks are short, to make sure the truck/bus/car driver ahead of me looks into his RVM and knows that I m about to overtake.

When driving in the city, I tap the horn to let the car/bike/bus ahead of me know that I m beside him. Also, when overtaking commercial vehicles, I honk till the driver has taken clear notice of me.

And Yes, I HONK the ears off Auto wallahs when they play pranks on the road. Such honks are usually followed by a verbal appreciation of the Auto Wallah as well.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:22   #45
BHPian

I usually don't honk, absolutely nil..until i meet a MORON driver. And when i do, i do it in style.

Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks