Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 16:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

I honk to let the person in front of me know that there is someone behind him so as not to try some unsignalled moves.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:29   #47
BHPian

I have been driving in Bangalore for more than 2 years without honking. And I drive every day almost 15 kms in the city. Till last year I used to drive about 20 kms (Malleswaram to K'mangala) one side.

Honking is completely avoidable in city driving. Never had come across a situation to use them. Got used to it completely. I dont even know if my horns are in working condition now!

I consider honking as an expression of heightened ego. 99% of the drivers on the road use their eyes and not ears to drive. Almost all of them are aware of what is happening around them. One dont have to remind others that "he/she" is around by making some noise. Compare it with walking in a crowded street. We still manage to walk without hitting anybody and without shouting out.

Last edited by appuchan : 18th August 2009 at 16:33.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I have been driving in Bangalore for more than 2 years without honking. And I drive every day almost 15 kms in the city. Till last year I used to drive about 20 kms (Malleswaram to K'mangala) one side.

Honking is completely avoidable in city driving. Never had come across a situation to use them. Got used to it completely. I dont even know if my horns are in working condition now!
Lucky you! I don't know how you manage Rickshaws take an abrupt turn w/o signalling.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:34   #49
BHPian

Honk to make the presence felt. I honk on highways while overtaking just to make sure that the vehicle ahead knows that i am overtaking and not do some zig zag movements on the road. And ofcourse a small tap on the horn as if i am calling to make that beautiful lady turn around.

I remember one instance when my friend was driving. I saw him honking very often and i didnt find any obstacle on the road. I started observing him and found that he was honking whenever he found a pot hole on the road . When i told him about what he was doing, we all burst into laughter and he himself was not aware what he was doing .
Old 18th August 2009, 16:35   #50
BHPian

Before answering this question I'd like to highlight the common users found on a road:

1. Cars
2. Bikes
3. Autos
4. Taxis
5. Buses
6. Trucks
7. Pedestrians (not on the footpath but on the road)
8. Cats & Dogs
9. Cows & Buffalo's

10. Handcarts
11. Bullock Carts
12. Bicycles

Now, if so many species are dying to use that 60 feet wide road of yours, I think even God won't be able to navigate himself around without honking

I came across this funny saying on the internet a few years ago. I think it holds true for all of us today "Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams."

Last edited by iceman7 : 18th August 2009 at 16:37.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

I honk, honk & honk and then honk some more!
Why?
  • To alert the two-wheeler who is cutting across to my lane on a curve to remind him that he is not on a race track!
  • To alert the idiot who is driving an Innova/Qualis/Sumo/or a big sedan with the OVRMs folded that I am in the process of overtaking him!
  • To let the jaywalkers know that a 1 ton vehicle is coming towards them and the middle of the road is not the place to scratch the leg/speak on the phone.
  • To let the dog crossing the road/eating on the road realize that if it does not move, there is a chance of it being run over! (though never ran over anything till date)
  • To let the fellow on the bicycle know that he is supposed to be on the left most lane and not racing with the other vehicles on the right lane!
  • To alert the blind auto drivers who complete half the turn before peeping out to check the traffic!
So, I honk so that I can survive on the road!

Last edited by pulsar56 : 18th August 2009 at 16:48.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:21   #52
BHPian

As much as I would desist from honking, I really could not help it. I dont honk inside my apartment complex, even when the pedestrians walk shoulder to shoulder blocking the road.

On the outside roads, there is no way you can drive without honking. I honk mostly for notifying my presence. Because people here drive with folded ORVMs, does not look left or right before changing lanes and unless you honk they wont even notice.

And at times there are Moron drivers whose only mission in life is to be Morons. Like while turning, cutting into the inside lane. Such guys need a honk for them to know, "Hey you are cutting in my lane" Atleast they will look and you can give them a dirty look. Any one who takes a turn from Koramangala-Madivala signal will go through the ordeal of such morons.

I never ever honk at pedestrians.

Nainar
Old 18th August 2009, 17:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
the pedestrians walk shoulder to shoulder blocking the road.
Yes, very irritating. As if they don't care a d**n about the road. Why can't they walk in batches of two or something. Especially guys, they form batches of 4 -5 and walk on the road.
Another reason to honk this.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:44   #54
BHPian

Yeah.I do honk!
Unfortunate to say the least since I hardly did it when using my bikes.

Why?
Generally, if I have to overtake someone, my first instinct is to dip the lights, be it day or night. Since most people in Bangy hardly care to check their RVMs, this seems like an useless activity. I let out a short honk to get his/her attention and dip my lights again.Finally one more short honk before I overtake.Unfortunately, most of the educated bangaloreans dont know that they have to leave the fast lane to give way, so poor me have to change lanes for all that.
The saddest part : I once had to pull such a overtake on a alto.While overtaking I noticed that the lady behind the wheels is actually a colleague from my floor.Came to office and asked her why she didnt leave the fast lane and her explanation was : "I stick to the right lane and go along with it.If anyone has to overtake,i let them overtake from the left". Now, if most people on road have this attitude, who's to blame people for overtaking from the wrong side?

I generally stop for pedestrians to cross the road. Its better with me stopping and letting them go rather than they being hit by a cabbie who's always racing with time!

No use honking at animals ( my POV).If its a cow/buffalo, it wont budge.If u go slowly, they move away.Dogs and cats are generally very alert. I slow down when I see any quadrupeds on road
Old 18th August 2009, 18:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

I honk, therefore I am
Eat this, Descartes.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2009, 11:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I have been driving in Bangalore for more than 2 years without honking.........Honking is completely avoidable in city driving. Never had come across a situation to use them. Got used to it completely. I dont even know if my horns are in working condition now!......Compare it with walking in a crowded street. We still manage to walk without hitting anybody and without shouting out.
I don't know how you do it. Good for you. I was able to ride without honking (or honking on rare occasions) on a bike but consider it quite necessary in a car.

Not sure if your example of walking in a crowded street fits here. People may not always bump into others but they do sometimes brush by each other and it is usually not bothered about. But you can't brush by other vehicles when you are driving.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:11   #57
BHPian

not a honking maniac, but yeah i honk at times
Old 19th August 2009, 11:14   #58
Team-BHP Support

I do but somehow dont think it works : ( i think i need to find HUGE BOSCH's!
Old 19th August 2009, 11:29   #59
BHPian

I avoid honking to the extent possible. I honk only in extreme conditions. A little patience and most conditions are not extreme. Jaywalkers, autos, two-wheelers, etc. and many other objects on the road give you reasons good enough to honk. I try nd always decide against honking. It does cost me a few minutes extra on the road but I reach home happy. Ignoring erratic and stupid drivers has helped me a lot.

I do honk on highways sometimes when I have to overtake long vehicles. Just to make my presence felt. Or while approaching a blind turn.

I see a lot many of the BHPians here giving reasons for honking. Most of them are trying to tell that others on the road are morons and they honk to keep the morons away. I am not able to appreciate this attitude. Lets learn to respect others on the road. That we claim to follow all the civic rules and norms does not make us the best people to use the roads and does not give us the right to honk on everyone who is not correct.

Lets make our roads a pleasant experience.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:52   #60
BHPian

Only Rickshaw/Taxi and Bad Drivers Honk!

If you are confident that your car is good and big enough to be visible in broad daylight , you will not honk. It is lack of confidence or lack of road presence that makes one honk IMHO. It is like shouting for attention when nobody cares!

Honk at curves or when very essential thats what i do ! The way people honk (even in a Toll Booth Queue) only indicates lack of IQ and civic sense!

Last edited by FastLove : 19th August 2009 at 12:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks