Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 17:32   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
These auto guys are sometimes a law unto themselves. And the cops cant do much about even the silencers on these autos ..

Been thinking - we should start boycotting autos with blaring exhausts. If you feel the exhaust is too loud, just wait for the minimum fare to pass, stop the rick & tell him to go & get his exhaust fixed first, before trying for fares. Let him know why he is being rejected.
+1 to that. I suggest avoid using them altogether. take a bus or a cab. the radio taxi service i found to be very convienient to use.
Old 16th June 2009, 21:39   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

10 mins later, this guy comes looking for us in the bus-stop and informs that he has got the tyre pressure fixed and we can proceed. I was taken aback. I asked him why he wants to take the risk and he says " Sir, you have already paid me more than what my service was worth. I need to do justice to that". I am speechless and we get back into the auto.

He then manages to take us to Airport road without incidents. When we get off, I offer him Rs.250 and tell him to get his son the guide. He politely refuses, saying " I will work and educate my son Sir. Please pay me Rs.150. You already paid Rs.50 and we agreed for Rs.200".

Needless to say, we took the guy's mobile number and since then he has been my wife's favourite Auto guy to go out shopping when I am not able to take her in my car.

Wish there were more such souls around.

Cheers,

Rajan

Ok, I need this auto guys number. But seriously, I wish there were more souls like him around! Hats off!
Old 22nd June 2009, 00:49   #138
Senior - BHPian

Actually there are a lot of honest auto guys, especially in south Bangalore. Me and my mom went to Big Bazaar once and she dropped her purse on the footpath next to which was an auto stand. We realised we didn't have the purse when we reached the scooter parking area. Went back and finally found it at the lost and found section in Big Bazaar. They told us an auto driver had found it on the footpath and guessed it was one of the shoppers. I was pleasantly surprised. We found the chap and gave him some cash and were off

So they're not all bad. In fact, Bangalore is one of the few big cities where auto drivers still use the meters. In Chennai for instance, meters are just for decoration. You must bargain and settle a price before you set off. Its a huge disadvantage if you are not familiar with the city. And as for accidents, again, the Bangalore autos are far more decent in terms of how they talk to you. They expect you to give them some cash but they are far from the type that want to fight for the sake of a fight.

(Yes, I love this city even though it drives me mad at times)

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 22nd June 2009 at 00:55.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:37   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Actually there are a lot of honest auto guys, They expect you to give them some cash but they are far from the type that want to fight for the sake of a fight.

(Yes, I love this city even though it drives me mad at times)
In bangalore, honest guys do exist. but its the stark contrast in the other maniacal guys that spoil the broth. I do tip the good auto guys once in a while.
I had a brawl the other day. This auto guy wants to take a right turn from my left side while i'm taking right myself. he bangs into my car on my left and grazes past. I pass him and block his way to pin him down. he gets out and comes charging towards me to hit me. I grabbed his hand and twisted it and only then he started to talk submissively.cops,no use.as good as spectators and didn't want to go to sivajinagar police station. these auto guys have a mafia corporation running there.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 22nd June 2009 at 09:48.
Old 29th June 2009, 13:58   #140
BHPian

Sometimes i feel like rewarding the auto driver, because it has the correct reading; so i leave the change with him if its below Rs.5.

Speaking of violence...... my cousin told of an incident. She took an auto from malleshwaram, driver gets into trouble with a santro. 4 youths get out of the car and trash the driver, leaving him bloody and with tattered clothes. What happens next is still amazing....... a taxi driver happens to see this, talks to the auto wallah after the trashing. Both of them decide to take action. The santro's route is a standard route, so the auto goes there, seeing the santro is coming, he hides near a corner with a big stone, when the car comes around, throws it on the car and runs for his life > And cousin reached her home.
Old 29th June 2009, 23:00   #141
Senior - BHPian

Haha I'm on the autowallah's side this time. Those Santro chaps thoroughly deserved it.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:46   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Blue_V : What happens next is still amazing....... a taxi driver happens to see this, talks to the auto wallah after the trashing.
McLaren Rulez : Haha I'm on the autowallah's side this time.
Tell me your p.o.v when the auto-guys gang up against you. It is far more easy for an autoguy to get support from other unknown auto-guys / cab drivers than it is for you to get support from fellow car drivers.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:57   #143
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely love the days when these guys are on a strike or something.
The roads are so free and drivable, even at 8:30 to 10 AM.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:02   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I absolutely love the days when these guys are on a strike or something.
The roads are so free and drivable, even at 8:30 to 10 AM.
You bet. This will also improve the fuel efficiency as well as ensure lower temper levels for obvious reasons that you needn't have to do all the extreme maneuvers to avoid hitting/brushing a crazy auto.

Also, you may take the risk of driving with the windows rolled down to breath some fresh air and still escape from those noisy, irritating tampered silencers.

Where's the Genie, I want to make a wish
Old 30th June 2009, 11:44   #145
BANNED

Lets Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is far more easy for an autoguy to get support from other unknown auto-guys / cab drivers than it is for you to get support from fellow car drivers.
It is precisely due to this factor that auto wallahs have become a menace in most cities. Let us learn from them and try to moderate/assist our fellow car drivers/bikers when in need on the roads.
We never when we may need it ourselves.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:53   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Where's the Genie, I want to make a wish
He he, don't wish so early sir, these strikes pinch the customer the most. They have a nack of getting things done in their favour most of the time.

As far as vengence is concerned, I have heard people silently tearing/sliting apart rickshaw seats or gnawing at the soft top with some sharp object before getting off. Certainly not recommended, but I have just heard people do such stuff. Just like people tearing apart seats if they don't like a movie at a theatre etc etc.

Having said everything, I am a firm believer of what you sow so you reap. Dirty money made does not go anywhere, it comes as an affliction as a diesese or some other way. Thats what makes me patient everytime anybody conns me, be it a rick fella or a petrol bunk filler.
Old 30th June 2009, 15:12   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
He he, don't wish so early sir, these strikes pinch the customer the most. They have a nack of getting things done in their favour most of the time.
Well, the wish was not for a life time and neither Genie would grant such generous wish!

Appreciate your patience but there are certainly 'limits' which if tested, usually results in such situation of either one exhibiting their vengeance against each others. This has always been mutual and in today's world one seldom gets slapped on both his cheeks.

I've not heard the tearing part but would certainly resist from doing so, if confronted and would rather agrue and ensure the point in well taken - sarcastically as well.

For instance, many a times autowalla has tried to get in between 2 cars and I've resisted him only to expect his stare and a foul mouth for which I've always ensured to reply him telling that "I too was a rick driver and learnt to sneak in between and it was just yesterday that I got myself a car" . He either laughs (realises what I meant) or pushes away.
Old 30th June 2009, 16:43   #148
BHPian

Auto Guys in bangalore are ROBBERES -

( i along with my many friends have faced this problem )
Old 30th June 2009, 17:01   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
paragsachania : For instance, many a times autowalla has tried to get in between 2 cars and I've resisted him only to expect his stare and a foul mouth for which I've always ensured to reply him telling that "I too was a rick driver and learnt to sneak in between and it was just yesterday that I got myself a car" . He either laughs (realises what I meant) or pushes away.
@Parag, good one !

I personally avoid these ricks. In the rare event I have to take a rick, dump the rick if I feel the meter is not running right, or if the silencer is tooo noisy (BLR guys know what I am talking about). And I suggest all of us start doing this. Let them know how little their antics are appreciated.

But when on the road, I dont normally extended courtesies to them - like I do for the govt buses.
Old 30th June 2009, 17:54   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For instance, many a times autowalla has tried to get in between 2 cars and I've resisted him only to expect his stare and a foul mouth for which I've always ensured to reply him telling that "I too was a rick driver and learnt to sneak in between and it was just yesterday that I got myself a car" . He either laughs (realises what I meant) or pushes away.
That is awefully sober. But to little effect for the species in discussion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks