Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 18:02   #151
BANNED

worst experience. Been through same once during my night journey wherein i arrived early in morning 4.30 am and had no option but to take auto. So decided to take Pre paid rikshaw.

However my destination was 50-100 mts away from prepaid point. He charged Rs. 10 Extra.

After having good fight i had to give up considering early in morning disturbance to my neighbors.

Mostly i avoid using auto since then,
Old 30th June 2009, 20:19   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
That is awefully sober. But to little effect for the species in discussion.
Trends may vary across the section, and there is always a choice to pick from these species and it comes with an every day experience.
It has taken its effect mostly
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:22   #153
Senior - BHPian

Well guys beware of all the auto guys waiting near majestic. They see to it that you take an auto without visiting the pre paid stand. Was called by nearly 10 of them but behaved like a deaf guy and went upto the pre paid counter and then travelled. Felt secure rather than feeling robbed at the end of the journey.
This has to be changed and cops should start acting up. Do something like the queue system in mumbai airport. you never get cheated
Old 6th July 2009, 20:05   #154
BHPian

Almost got mugged

I had a scary experience once, about three months ago. I was stranded in Johnson Market, around 8:30 PM. I had to get home to Wilson Garden. There was no convenient bus stop nearby, so I decided to take an auto.

I flagged down an auto near the Baldwin Boys' back gate, and asked him to take me to Wilson Garden. He said 40 rupees. I thought that's not too much, so I hopped into the auto.

Immediately, I noticed strong alcohol fumes and realized the auto driver is drunk. Next instant, he was joined on the front seat by an extremely shady looking buddy.

Since the auto had just started, and hadn't picked up speed, i got off and started walking back, in the direction of Richmond Road. When I had walked about 50 meters, this same auto guy stopped next to me and grabbed my hand and started asking me why I had jumped off. I told him, look boss, you are drunk, and you were also joined by another drunk friend. I was sure you wouldn't stop so I jumped off.

He then starts begging me to come in the auto, saying he will drop me to Wilson Garden (all the while keeping a tight grip on my hand). He even said he will take me to Wilson Garden for Rs.10!! Oho! I was terrified by then. I was sure these guys were up to no good, maybe even planning to rob me. This stretch of the road was deserted, and there were two guys against me.

I couldn't do anything else. Adrenaline kicked in and i threw a punch in the auto guy's face. Before their inebriated reflexes could wake up, I freed my hand and ran into a shop. I was still terrified, but they didn't show up. I then called a friend and asked him to pick me up. Reached home safe!

I keep going back to that incident, and keep thanking God for giving me that extra kick of adrenaline! It might have been a stupid thing to do in another place at another time, but it sure saved me!
Old 6th July 2009, 21:17   #155
Senior - BHPian

Not a bad thing to do, Rohan. You saved yourself.Thats most important. I had a similar experience 10 years ago. Waiting for an auto to take me from Cantt to Indiranagar,I had to wait for a long time before one auto came my way. The guy was drunk,and I had no intentions of getting into that auto. The guy kept persisting, and dropped the fare from Rs 50 to Rs35. I had to fake a conversation on my cell phone to get away from there, making it seem like I had someone come pick me up from the other side of the railway station. Did scare me a bit!
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:40   #156
Senior - BHPian

Read this about the price hike in Auto.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/6245468.cms

No, the news of hike is old, but this is about the effect of hike. I wish this continues and consumers don't just "forget" the hike and wish hikes are brought down

Btw, when the petrol prices comes down (as it is market driven), will this is revised too. Hmm, I expect too much.
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:31   #157
BHPian

Can somebody please confirm if the Auto rickshaw fare hike is official and if available, the new fares as well. Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:12   #158
BHPian

yea the share auto is a menace. The normal auto drivers seem to loose all their business to these share autos. My mom used to pay 50 rs for travelling 2 kms which is where the market place is (pondy bazar).
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:23   #159
BANNED

In Chennai, autos are a menace. I avoid taking them. I mostly use buses and cabs now-a-days. It's almost 20 years since I saw an auto running on meter in Chennai.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:20   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

In the recent visits to Bangalore, I couldn't find one rick that would go by the meter. Its always, +10, +20 and so on. This had me thinking, why do these guys agree to the rates proposed by the government if it isn't feasible for them to operate on the them!!

Maybe, next time I'll ask my employer, saaar a little more!!
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:30   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Maybe, next time I'll ask my employer, saaar a little more!!
On a lighter note...

There many people who skip that auto and wait for next auto. Worst case, they board a "cheaper" bus.

I remember that, one of the Auto Union in Bangalore (Sivaji nagar?) was opposing this raise. he exactly mentioned this. Saying that people will opt for alternatives than auto if they raise the fare.

Since Auto guys are used to, "on-top-of-meter" or "double-the-charge" tactics, they cant stop just because they get the fair fare. No, not possible.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:16   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

I did just so mjothi, thanks to the great VOLVOs of Bangalore, I travelled in luxury and paid a quarter of the price.

OT: I noticed the regular TATA AC buses have half the rate as opposed to the VOLVO for the same distance!
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:30   #163
BHPian

Is the Auto fare hike really official?

I took an auto to go out for lunch. That driver took Rs. 8 more than the meter saying that the fare has been hiked since yesterday. He showed me an yellow printed card with the old fare and new fare. I did not check the authenticity of it as I was in a hurry. I know its my mistake.

On return, I took another auto and he took the same fare whatever the meter showed.

Now I am really confused if I was duped by the earlier auto chap.

So is the fare hike official? If yes, since when? somebody let me know what is the current situation.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:43   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
So is the fare hike official? If yes, since when? somebody let me know what is the current situation.
Well i think it s official starting today. 17 bucks minimum and 8 rs per km thereafter.
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:22   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dry Ice : In the recent visits to Bangalore, I couldn't find one rick that would go by the meter. Its always, +10, +20 and so on. This had me thinking, why do these guys agree to the rates proposed by the government if it isn't feasible for them to operate on the them!!
Just their way of asking for more money. If you give, they gain. If you dont, they dont lose - very likely the meter has already been rigged.

Now that the increase is here, It makes so much sense to just drive. Or take a bus.

Most Viewed