Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:40   #106
BHPian

this helps sometimes.. arre tereko kaal diya tha na, daily daily kahan se doon.. forgive language rule violation please.

can't really say all of them are bad, train journeys and all, there was one time i was real sick and travelling from calcutta to pune, all curled up in the side bunk.. one of them actually made me lie face down and of all things gave a neck and head massage, no money, thik ho jayega jaldi se was all she had to say, may had been the genuine one i feel now.

true we should not spoil the bunch and act strict, having a stern apathetic look on the face helps most of the times.

off topic, wonder how many people would come forward to help in case one gets accosted and misbehaved by a bunch of them at a traffic light or in case of any other emergency whatsoever. maybe the tbhp logo on the vehicle should prompt other members if they happen to be there at the spot come to the rescue of another fellow member, that would be one good thing, only pledge everyone needs to take is that he would present him or her self on the right side so that the other guy can jump in without a what if thought process and help, can't achieve much alone but having support is a different story altogether.
Old 4th April 2008, 00:06   #107
Senior - BHPian

I think this is probably more rampant in mumbai than it is elsewhere in India, reading the posts made by the esteemed mumbai members here.

But mr. gogi sir as my friend nitrous would call you,
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I agree that they re nothing but beggars and use their unfortunate circumstance to obtain the means but I have not seen or heard of a single eunuch approaching you in a car and asking you for four figure amount.
I am quoting only a part of your HUGE sermon, please please do not speak only of what you have heard or seen (that might be trivial), 99% of the folks here have experienced these uncomfortable moments mentioned here alone or with family members (not about 4 figure amounts, could be 1 figure amounts, are we supposed to pay them ?) & I can surely understand their frustration (as can you). Agreed, sometimes they speak (or type) out of pure frustration, but that is entirely forgivable, IMO. And for you also, if you have a lot of money to spare for these unfortunate people, please let me know by PM, i will direct you to a few (at least one) good agencies in India where you can seriously make a contribution. But please do not thulp their brains out, surely they(or any beggar) do not deserve that. Hope you understood my point.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 4th April 2008 at 00:08.
Old 4th April 2008, 03:09   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think this is probably more rampant in mumbai than it is elsewhere in India, reading the posts made by the esteemed mumbai members here.

But mr. gogi sir as my friend nitrous would call you,

I am quoting only a part of your HUGE sermon, please please do not speak only of what you have heard or seen (that might be trivial), 99% of the folks here have experienced these uncomfortable moments mentioned here alone or with family members (not about 4 figure amounts, could be 1 figure amounts, are we supposed to pay them ?) & I can surely understand their frustration (as can you). Agreed, sometimes they speak (or type) out of pure frustration, but that is entirely forgivable, IMO. And for you also, if you have a lot of money to spare for these unfortunate people, please let me know by PM, i will direct you to a few (at least one) good agencies in India where you can seriously make a contribution. But please do not thulp their brains out, surely they(or any beggar) do not deserve that. Hope you understood my point.
Thanks for your reply Esteem_loverjee. (you call me sir, I call you Jee) I did not give any sermon nor do i intend to. I am not qualified to do so. I and all others can only talk from our experiences otherwise we would be fanning fiction
As you said, being a native of Mumbai, where probably the menace is in a much larger capacity, I have extensively travelled the length and breadth of this city for a far longer period than the age of a lot of members posting on this thread. That would make my experience a tad bit greater than just driving to college or a movie and back. I have been passing by each day for the past many years through areas which are infested by such persons. I come across their kind at least four to five times a day, dont know if anyone else has the same experience
No, i do not have too much money (or even enough...but God bless you if it ever comes true ) but I do my own two bits of little charity which does not include giving alms to beggars or eunuchs. I am also against this whole thing but i have learnt to look at them apart from hatred. Infact F50 has said exactly what i have wanted to say.
I agree they are a menace but dont generalize. I am not even propagating that you pay them, In fact if the window is up , i dont even acknowledge them.
I am sure all those who have listed their experiences here have not cherished them. I have never intended to disagree with what the others have to say nor have i even hinted of that.
We are discussing their menace here and each one comes up with their own experience as I came up with mine. I am only asking those who remarked, why they cant get gainful employment, as to how many here would be actually willing to employ them? I have yet not got an answer.
Regarding the use of violence, I am the last person to indulge in this sort of unruly behavior. I had used the term you all seem to have misunderstood, merely as a figure of speech. I have in fact cautioned another member against the use of pepper spray and all such actions which are more easily said than. My two bits are simple, dont show your disgust or abuse them or anyone for no rhyme or reason, thats when they do all the things that you all hate them for. Ignore them if you can but dont call them names. You cannot justify a less civil act by another one coming from you.

Last edited by V-16 : 4th April 2008 at 03:11.
Old 4th April 2008, 06:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ummm....boss I don't think that a Stethoscope would deter them for even a micro-second! Now if you were wielding a scalpel, that would be a different story altogether!!
hunji, agrees. I've seen it used to great effect by a med student friend of mine.

That being said, moov/pepper spray etyadi is all irrelevant. Please consider V16's viewpoint. Having met one of their "ilk", who was a qualified doctor but forced into this profesion because no one would visit them for a checkup - I think its not a bad idea to give them 10 bucks everytime. Would you ever go for even a haircut to them?

ofc, F50, man, 151 at the traffic signal is ummm ..... mumbai rate. aur kya boloon
Old 4th April 2008, 08:59   #110
BHPian

Clarification of my view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
As far as I know Pepper spray is illegal.
Is extortion of money by them legal? Also Section 96,97,102,105 and 106 of IPC give us privilege to use these pepper sprays for self-defense and we can safely call this act for self-defense when one tries to extort money which are not really harmful with long term effects but are enough to teach these eunuchs a lesson.

In below, you can see Bangalore City Commissioner of Police has expressed his opinion on usage of Pepper Sprays.

How do you deal with transgenders begging at traffic signals?-police1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
moov/pepper spray etyadi is all irrelevant.
I was suggesting pepper spray for those who extort and not to those who beg.

Anyways these are my personal views and i am deterred to follow this in future if in case i meet such character(s) trying to extort at either traffic signal or at some other place.
Old 4th April 2008, 09:03   #111
BHPian

If you cant win them, Join them!!

Just kidding !!
Old 4th April 2008, 11:18   #112
Senior - BHPian

bhai, jo spray karna hai kar lo.,

they are almost always a toli. You are certain to get a brick crashing through a windshield after such a stunt. Its a very thin line.

I carry my pepper spray with me almost all the time (except malls/movie halls) and have restrained from using it even once. being trigger happy only escalates things
Old 4th April 2008, 11:56   #113
BHPian

I have lived in Mumbai for almost 2 years and had always managed to avoid them, be it in Train or Road.In Bangalore also I could do it till I got into an embarassing situation a couple of months back.

I was stuck at the signal at Marathahalli and was chatting with my friend along with me with driver-side window half rolled down.When I saw 'them' (they were in a group - around 3-4 of them) approaching my car, I rolled up the window without thinking anything else - a biggest mistake I did - !! They noticed it and came straight to my side(driver side) and opened my door !!! I have this autocop installed in my car and normally it would lock the doors once the ignition is ON. But a few moments back, I had explicitely unlocked the doors for my friend to hop in.. and this did me in!!! I got completely p***ed off when they opened the door and started demanding money..It was like pay up or have a free show!! That scared the wit out of me and I had no other go, other than paying them up.

The icing on the cake was that, both of us didn't have change and ended up paying 50 !! huh boy! that was an experience!!
Old 4th April 2008, 12:20   #114
BHPian

yeah at the sony world kormangla junction, they always try to open my passenger side or drive side door, depending on where they are passing from. Fortunately for me, the door is locked and the times it isn't or I forgot to lock it, they haven't been there phew !!
Old 4th April 2008, 12:24   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
I was suggesting pepper spray for those who extort and not to those who beg.

Anyways these are my personal views and i am deterred to follow this in future if in case i meet such character(s) trying to extort at either traffic signal or at some other place.
Don't even try that. That will put your own safety in danger. A quick call of help will bring local thug that "manages" that particular signal and you could be in great trouble.
Old 4th April 2008, 13:32   #116
Senior - BHPian

These people are not a big menace in Pune. Atleast not in traffic signals. Never came across one till now. Some do roam around in MG road. But they never dare to do anything obscene, or citizens will beat the living daylights out of them!

But in Mumbai, I have been abused like anything. As soon as I stop in Vashi signal, these idiots come up clapping and shouting!!! I just ignore them and my AC is always on, so they cannot touch me! Then the "show" and abusing start. The only way to avoid seeing it is to act busy talking to wifey! I have never paid them even a single rupee in Mumbai and Pune!!!

One experience I would like to share. It is Off topic.

My girlfriend (wifey now!) and I were returning to Pune some 7 years back by train. We could not get 3AC and were travelling by 2nd class sleeper.

As soon as we entered Andhra, these people started barging in and was creating a big scene. The worst part was that they were touching my girl's face and she was too scared to react. After having paid 5 and 10 bucks each, to a couple of them, I changed 100 bucks to 1 and 2 rupee coins from the Chai wallas and started giving to those Hijdas. I ended up 'donating' all those coins in just under 4 hours!!! They are a big menace to the commoners! But they cannot enter AC compartments! cheers:
Old 4th April 2008, 13:57   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
I have lived in Mumbai for almost 2 years and had always managed to avoid them, be it in Train or Road.In Bangalore also I could do it till I got into an embarassing situation a couple of months back.

I was stuck at the signal at Marathahalli and was chatting with my friend along with me with driver-side window half rolled down.When I saw 'them' (they were in a group - around 3-4 of them) approaching my car, I rolled up the window without thinking anything else - a biggest mistake I did - !! They noticed it and came straight to my side(driver side) and opened my door !!! I have this autocop installed in my car and normally it would lock the doors once the ignition is ON. But a few moments back, I had explicitely unlocked the doors for my friend to hop in.. and this did me in!!! I got completely p***ed off when they opened the door and started demanding money..It was like pay up or have a free show!! That scared the wit out of me and I had no other go, other than paying them up.

The icing on the cake was that, both of us didn't have change and ended up paying 50 !! huh boy! that was an experience!!

Never knew that it existed in marathalli. From next time onwards, will be very careful from the time I leave home.
Old 4th April 2008, 20:33   #118
Senior - BHPian

yes, EUNUCHS are on the rampage at Marathahalli, but never bothers me because my windows are always rolled up, doors locked and I never, ever acknowledge their presence.

A few times when they see my baby in the car, they try to make gestures of blessing the baby, but I continue my ignore routine and they head off to greener(they think) pastures.

Once when on my Bullet, one Eunuch came and started touching me(not that touch), I ignored it and seeing my deadpan expression, the eunuch decided I was not worth her(his) while and moved away, but not before calling her(his) 'colleagues' passing some acidic remark about me.
Old 7th April 2008, 09:13   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Those of you who are typing this from the comfort of their air conditioned lounge chairs and are giving sermons on how to not encourage their breed and employ them usefully, first try it yourselves!! It may be possible that you have never been harassed by them or even encountered them. Its very easy to give lectures but the truth is that they have been exiled from society and have to make a living. I am not for them but do try to look at life from their angle. Shunned and scolded they have to reek down to begging.
A lot of them are good and would leave you if you pay and then there are others who will harass you till you pay. I believe begging is an easy way out so they bend in that direction. Dont so many other perfectly normal people? I have heard of stories where they lean towards abduction and it may be true but then there are always two sides to a coin.
They thrive on the concept that one should not earn their wrath as it is said that whatever they say comes true. That is all humbug but then they thrive on it. I know that when they visit your house, they will leave a mark which will keep others of their tribe away. They will come on a good occasion and ask for money in return for their blessings. A small price to pay i think but not at the price of being held ransom. I remember when parked one day, a Eunuch came and demanded money from me. I told him/her politely that I didnt have any money to give her, sorry. he/she just flared up and told me that I should not call on the wrath of a Hijra and that i could meet with an accident ahead. I was so cheesed off that I said if i did meet with an accident I would pay Rs.10,000/-. In not so polite words I asked him/her to push off before I got down and thrashed the daylights out of him/her. That was enough and the Eunuch departed. But when they come in numbers, you'd do better with rolled up windows. They wont even bother you.
Next time you see a Eunuch, try to think of them as the less fortunate.
By the way, how many beggars have you sermon givers employed in your lifetime??!!

Nice big words. For your information sir, most of these so called eunuchs are men dressed in sarees i.e. drag. All of them are able they can do any kind of manual/semi skilled work, but choose to harass people, all under the guise, that they have special powers. BTW most of the eunuchs are from Tamil Nadu, and the govt of Tamil Nadu has a free scheme under which they offer gender re-assignment surgery to true tran-sexuals/eunuchs. Then why do these so called eunuchs dont take this offer up? certianly will put an end to their menace on our roads.

These beggers play on our superstitions and claim to have divine powers to bless/curse other human beings. If they had such super powers, I am sure they could have done something better for themselves! If we all collectively stop/refuse to cater to their demands, we would soon see these characters vanish as if they never existed.
Old 8th April 2008, 00:55   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Nice big words. For your information sir, most of these so called eunuchs are men dressed in sarees i.e. drag. All of them are able they can do any kind of manual/semi skilled work, but choose to harass people, all under the guise, that they have special powers. BTW most of the eunuchs are from Tamil Nadu, and the govt of Tamil Nadu has a free scheme under which they offer gender re-assignment surgery to true tran-sexuals/eunuchs. Then why do these so called eunuchs dont take this offer up? certianly will put an end to their menace on our roads.

These beggers play on our superstitions and claim to have divine powers to bless/curse other human beings. If they had such super powers, I am sure they could have done something better for themselves! If we all collectively stop/refuse to cater to their demands, we would soon see these characters vanish as if they never existed.
Obviously you are another one of those guys who have not made the effort to read the entire thread or at least my posts on this thread. Therefore;

1) If you will do as requested above, it will dawn on you that I am with you on this.

2) As i said that they play on the superstitions of people.

3) Although most Eunuchs are from Tamil Nadu (I never knew that) there are a host of them scattered around the country. Suggesting they go to Tamil Nadu to get re correction surgery or whatever is good but they seem to do what they do out of choice. We do not have a say here. Im sure those interested, must have approached the Govt.

4) I am aware of the presence of "Pretend" Eunuchs who find behaving thus an easy way out.

At the cost of inviting other remarks like you and some others have made, without bothering to go through my alleged "Big words" I will say the following;

Besides an easy way out, Illiteracy is another big problem. Maybe the Eunuchs have not been informed or educated about this. Also how many,due to illiteracy have the guts or courage to undergo such an operation. I know of educated people who do not undergo a simple operation and choose to stay with some problem only because they are too scared of undergoing the "Operation"
I may seem like im for the way they survive but I really, really wish they would take the option of the surgery.

Most Viewed