Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 09:33   #151
BANNED

If begging can be a viable occupation, then why not?
If you encourage begging, they will make a living out of it. If you don't, since its not economically viable, they will have to find an alternative.

Its just macroeconomics.
Old 17th July 2008, 09:38   #152
Senior - BHPian

It is not written on their face that begging is an occupation or the only means of survival. Only the Lord knows the truth, and let him decide what is macroeconomics or what is just a transfer of miniscule wealth.
Old 17th July 2008, 10:02   #153
BHPian

The best thing to do IMO, is to just completely IGNORE them. Treat them like they dont exist. See through them. That works, always. Trust me, I've had several encounters with them. "Aye chikne", "Aye Shahrukh" and the likes. I've also had them threaten me with, "Kapde utar doongi". If you show any reaction to any of this badgering, they will continue to pester you. The best thing to do is not show any reaction whatsoever. They soon get bored and walk off.
BTW, I think the most aggressive ones I have encountered is at Santa Cruz (E) railway station in Bombay, while one is getting out of an auto. As soon as the auto guy gives you your change back, they pounce on you virtually snatching the change away. I've almost had a physical confrontation with these guys a couple of times over there.
Old 17th July 2008, 10:53   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
If begging can be a viable occupation, then why not?
If you encourage begging, they will make a living out of it. If you don't, since its not economically viable, they will have to find an alternative.
They have resorted to begging as they know for sure that people will not hesitate in paying up to them. And even the cops stand as mute spectators. They look even more scared than the regular public when it comes to handling the eunuchs. In Bangalore, as pointed out earlier, this nuisance is getting bigger by the day, especially on the ring roads. I drive on the Hebbal - KRPuram stretch everyday and in the evenings you will encounter several eunuchs at almost every traffic signal. The trouble comes only if you are in a two wheeler or you have rolled down the windows in your four wheeler.
Old 17th July 2008, 12:11   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshooli View Post
They have resorted to begging as they know for sure that people will not hesitate in paying up to them. And even the cops stand as mute spectators. They look even more scared than the regular public when it comes to handling the eunuchs. In Bangalore, as pointed out earlier, this nuisance is getting bigger by the day, especially on the ring roads. I drive on the Hebbal - KRPuram stretch everyday and in the evenings you will encounter several eunuchs at almost every traffic signal. The trouble comes only if you are in a two wheeler or you have rolled down the windows in your four wheeler.

Yes, Ring road you find them regularly.... but i think the place where you find many are the sony world signal in the mornings...
Old 25th July 2008, 09:53   #156
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes Mahindra Showroom ring road/ Sony World - many eunuchs hang around there. Also St Johns Hospital/ Maharishi Vemana Road crossing.
Best to roll up the windows and ignore them when they turn up.
However, it is difficult for Bikers and Auto users because these guys stick their hands into Autos and irritate the poor passenger into pulling out the wallet. Bikers also are harrassed repeatedly.
And the Police do nothing, just watch and pretend not to have seen.
Terrible business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Yes, Ring road you find them regularly.... but i think the place where you find many are the sony world signal in the mornings...
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:13   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes Mahindra Showroom ring road/ Sony World - many eunuchs hang around there. Also St Johns Hospital/ Maharishi Vemana Road crossing.
Best to roll up the windows and ignore them when they turn up.
However, it is difficult for Bikers and Auto users because these guys stick their hands into Autos and irritate the poor passenger into pulling out the wallet. Bikers also are harrassed repeatedly.
And the Police do nothing, just watch and pretend not to have seen.
Terrible business.
For the past few days, I have observed that these eunuchs have totally disappeared from Sony World Junction.

Not that I am complaining, but does someone know what is the reason for this sudden change.

Have the authorities taken some action against them ?

Rohan
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:19   #158
Senior - BHPian

As someone pointed out, never make eye contact with them. It has worked for me fo so many years. My windows are always rolled up and the doors locked from inside (they try to open the car doors too). The only time they caught me was when I was walking near Forum in Koramangala. When I refused to pay, he/she pinched the left side of my chest (you know what I mean) and walked off. It was quite painful :-(
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:39   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Have the authorities taken some action against them ?

Rohan
I think so, coz even I haven't seen a single one since monday. Last week or so there was a fake one who was caught and taken to the police station. Cops found out that he was a poser and asked him to undergo castration. The dude cried /begged/pleaded with the cops to let him go.

BTW this was aired on one of the local news channels here.
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:06   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Cops found out that he was a poser and asked him to undergo castration. The dude cried /begged/pleaded with the cops to let him go.

Ha Ha Ha Ha. He should have been handed over to the real ones.

Yeah best is not to pay them.
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:30   #161
Senior - BHPian

These people are also seen at the silk board junction. They literally try to molest you if you are not paying them. Best way if you are on a 2 wheeler is to keep some 5-10 ft gap between the front vehicle and when they come near you just go ahead and cover up the gap. They will not come back to you but will catch another guy who comes behind you.

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd March 2010 at 15:08. Reason: Correcting format and spelling
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:41   #162
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Come to think of it, i havent had any encounter with them lately ! Theyve completely disappeared from the Hennur & nagavara junctions on the Ring Road !
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:51   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Best way if you are on a 2 wheeler is to keep some 5-10 ft gap between the front vehicle...
I hate to be on a 2-wheeler in front of these creatures. They grope you all over calling you Raja Munna. Faced that once, and, it was quite embarrassing.

But, good suggestion above.

-BJ
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:01   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I hate to be on a 2-wheeler in front of these creatures. They grope you all over calling you Raja Munna. Faced that once, and, it was quite embarrassing.

But, good suggestion above.

-BJ
BJ, it is always best to leave that much space. It might be these guys or any other distractions also. Till date this has worked for me. Usually if you are new to that junction then somehow you have to manage,but if you know they have captured that signal then keep space and move when they come near you
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:19   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Just completely ignore them, sit in your car (In bike it is a different story) ...
I was stormed by three of them at once at a signal when I was on my bike(karizma). They started signing "dhoom machaley,....". I simply turned to one of them and said Namastey folding both my hands with a genuine smile(not sarcastic in any way). I think this group faced such a situation first time and stopped singing after looking at each other for few moments two left me and the third still holding the fairing not saying anything just waived his hand to give some money. I did the same again. This time with out saying anything he(dont ask why I said he) too left me.

I thought this is one of a case and I was lucky!!! But tried this successfully another time. This time I was in a auto-rickshaw again at a traffic signal. This time only one was there while his accomplice was at another auto. Again he was stunned!! Said to his fellow who was at the other rick "arrey ye mereko namasthey bolraha hai". The other fellow said "usko chodo, pechey bike pe ladke ke saath potti hain...." (Thank god I was alone in the auto!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
BJ, it is always best to leave that much space. It might be these guys or any other distractions also. Till date this has worked for me. Usually if you are new to that junction then somehow you have to manage,but if you know they have captured that signal then keep space and move when they come near you
Suggestion worth trying once!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 3rd March 2010 at 16:22.

Most Viewed