Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 11:46   #31
BHPian

hey guys chill man, whats the problem or harm in paying them, not that i pay them 10 bucks, but yeah some amount like 3-4 bucks change if i have. Vivek relax dude, nitrous just voiced his opinion or what he does, why you getting so defensive.

Chill guys, whats so serious about paying or not paying them man!!
Old 31st March 2008, 12:02   #32
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Chill guys, whats so serious about paying or not paying them man!!
Serious issue is that you are making them used to a life of beggar. And if they are smart or learn some tricks from delhi eunuchs, you will have the tamasha of them stripping on streets in case you dont pay them.

I think you can manage by closing our eyes or ignoring them, but what about young kids?

So you are helping develop a problem for yourself & your kids.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:19   #33
BHPian

Ok LLL, done i will not pay them henceforth, thank you !!
Filmy Style: Aaj meri aankhein Khul gayi

Sorry mods for typing in hindi!! I know its not a HIndi Forum!! But sometimes is ok!! PLEASE :(
Old 31st March 2008, 12:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

During some of my visits to my grandparent's place, used to see our neighbor, who looked very much like a man (features wise) but always in a saree. This was my earliest knowledge about eunuchs. The story goes that he was normal (no one suspected anything), but one day he went to the Yellamma / Renuka temple near Saundatti and came back wearing a saree.

From what little information I have gathered over the years, these people are often trans-genders, and end up like this because of the lack of information & knowledge in society itself about their condition. They dont know who to turn to, till they come across similar people - and they follow this path since it's the best information they have got.

But, like with any thing else, a system gets mis-used. And mis-use here is manifested in the form of people acting like the genuine ones, to try & earn a living. And we dont have any means of evaluating a genuine case from an abuse.

May be the genuine ones could have taken up a job, done something for a livelihood. May be with correct support through NGO's /organizations, they could have been helped to see a balance between being a person in society & meeting personal requirements. Let's assume they do this, and manage to eek out a livelihood. What will happen when such information comes out in the open - even as positive publicity ? Is there any guarantee that the brand which supported these people will do just as well after that ?

A question for those who have commented that these people can eek out a living - have you guys thought about how easy/difficult it is for these people to have a normal schooling/ work life after they change their status / condition ? Will you today accept such a person as your colleague ?

Personally, I dont encourage beggars. But these people, I give a little - what ever couple of coins I can reach. I do it since I feel this is one group of people are possibly genuinely out-cast. They have accepted what ever is given, and go on. My observation is that if make a fuss out of it, they will play upon that.
Old 31st March 2008, 13:42   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
May be the genuine ones could have taken up a job, done something for a livelihood. May be with correct support through NGO's /organizations, they could have been helped to see a balance between being a person in society & meeting personal requirements. Let's assume they do this, and manage to eek out a livelihood. What will happen when such information comes out in the open - even as positive publicity ? Is there any guarantee that the brand which supported these people will do just as well after that ?
Yes the real ones should be helped. They should be given assistance to eek out their livelihood. The fake ones should be made real

About the fate of the company that supported the eunuchs one can't say anything before a company starts supporting them. I won't hesitate to buy something made by them. Why should one hesitate if the product is good?

NGO/organisations could start by first giving them some kind of vocational training and helping them to setup some ssi.

Quote:
A question for those who have commented that these people can eek out a living - have you guys thought about how easy/difficult it is for these people to have a normal schooling/ work life after they change their status / condition ? Will you today accept such a person as your colleague ?
I have no problems in accepting such a person as a colleague. As long as heshe knows how to behave.

But the real problem here is that they've already chosen their profession - begging which is the most easy thing for them to do.. becuase the general public is afraid of them and they make can a quick buck. They must be earning pretty well too.

It's the same when govt tried to rehabilitate beggars but almost all of them returned to begging because it gave them more returns.

Quote:
Personally, I dont encourage beggars. But these people, I give a little - what ever couple of coins I can reach. I do it since I feel this is one group of people are possibly genuinely out-cast. They have accepted what ever is given, and go on. My observation is that if make a fuss out of it, they will play upon that.
Even me. But as i said before i don't give alms to beggars who 'demand' it from me like it's their right.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:08   #36
BHPian

Friends,
3-4 bucks will not change anything in our life. Just give them. I feel bed whenever i see them because it's not their fault. It's something which is beyond our thoughts that can happen. We spend lot of money travelling, for fun, vacation, smoking etc. I dont find any harm shelling out 5 Rs when i see them.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:20   #37
BANNED

Hemanth, it's not the case of 3 or 4 bucks. And please don't misunderstand me for a kanjoos The only problem i have with them is the way they extort money from the public using their cheap tactics. Why should they behave indecently and use profane words if one doesn't give them the money. See I do give alms to beggars, but not to every one.

Yes i agree that it's not their fault that they are in this condition. Which could be fully or partially right. But at the same time it's not their right to extort money from the public. Most of the people i know give them money only because that they're scared of the after effects. Not because of consideration.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see this

This eunuch thing is totally new to me, a foreigner. I have not seen one yet. Glad to see this thread, it may prepare me. I have been attacked 2 times in 3 years here and had some unpleasant confrontations. Usually it's drunks. I am 2-0 and unmarked but I can not say I like this side of India.

Indians would fare no better in parts of the U.S., my homeland. Worse probably. It's the human condition, I am sorry to say.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Actually, the ones on the Sony World junction dont persist at all. One wave of the hand (indicating they wont get anything) and they move on to the next car. They are more interested in covering as many cars as possible rather than persisting with one person.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are making them also beggars by encouraging their activity. Why don't you donate to some good NGO who genuinely help these people. Yeah, i have a few rupees to spare but I will not be forced to give it to anyone fearing what they might do if i don't. my .02.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont have a problem if they beg like every other begger. They dont. They demand and extort money instead !! As the saying goes, beggars cant be choosers. So they get nothing from me inspite of all their antics. Actually, all their antics make me more determined to give them nothing.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Show me an NGO who genuinely helps them, and I could. [No, I'm not saying that (all) NGO's are Not Genuine Organizations].

Also, in this case, it's not out of fear. It's more a case of "May be ..."
Old 31st March 2008, 14:50   #43
BHPian

I had a very bad incident with them about 4 years ago. I had just moved to my new flat in Shipra Sun City. There on a Sunday, a group of 4-5 of them came to our home; I wasn't home and my wife foolishly opened the door. They barged inside and refused to leave unless we pay them Rs. 5100/-, some gold ornament and 5 saris. Wifey called me up, I tried to reason with them and offered them Rs. 2100/-, to no avail.
I went to society's security and RWA; they adviced me to pay up saying it's good luck to have their blessings and bad to have their wrath. I went back to my place, requested them to accept Rs. 2100/- and leave my place. They refused to listen and started mis-behaving. I lost my temper and rationale. Told them that I don't have that much cash and am going to withdraw. And called up my village at Pilkhuwa, asked 15-20 people to come immediately. They reached there in 40 minutes and gave a good thrashing to the eunuchs. After that day none of their ilk ever ventured in to our colony.

\N
Old 31st March 2008, 14:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Show me an NGO who genuinely helps them, and I could. [No, I'm not saying that (all) NGO's are Not Genuine Organizations].

Also, in this case, it's not out of fear. It's more a case of "May be ..."
Please let me know if you are serious, I can give you quite a few leads. Please do not encourage begging & extortion.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:19   #45
BHPian

well done ntomer, the way i know you, very well done indeed. someone needs to take corrective action and the rest of the people are benefited anyway..

yes it is true that some real cases need assistance, but not in this way, daylight robbery and most of them are probably fakes. i paid them few times but no more these days, all due to the way they try to make people pay up, threatening and all.. my blood boils to see them knocking on the window glass with a coin of all things, but just wave the hand without looking at them.. btm and koramangala some areas are full of these people.

sometimes just wish there was some way to give a jolt from the car body and battery combination.. same goes for the lads who would rub your car with their dust covered pieces of cloth trying to prove that they are charging for some service at the traffic light, will not stop however one asks them not to do that.. result? bad scratches on the bonnet and fenders..

Most Viewed