Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:55   #91
BHPian

Those who resort to extortion can be dealt easy if you have a hot pepper spray with you handy. I believe most females would be having them in their cars. Also from experiences from other thread related to mugging, i prefer to keep this. Though being in Hyderabad, never faced that situation though i only witnessed one from a moving bus. If they spit or do something obscene, just simply spray the pepper thing all over them. I believe each can comes up to 10 seconds which is sufficient to put off at least 5 of their group. If you are outnumbered, simply wait for the signal to turn green and get ready for the next encounter with more pepper sprays

Though i am compassionate to older beggars who can't work for their age, i hate these ******s. If we first learn to say NO and if it doesn't we must learn to use a pepper spray and this would make them stay away.

I know a pepper spray is more costly than 10 bucks but it makes sure their attitude is curbed if everyone whose car is knocked does this! I am sure this will take off the embarrassment you need to face when you are with your family members if they get what they deserve.

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 3rd April 2008 at 08:11.
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Mr.NRI, Would you wipe off saliva from your windshield and window panel when they spit on it if you don't pay?
Can you stomach the sight of their "public parts"(now that they are not private)?
Worst case, they hold and feel your testicles.(This has happened to me,years back)
Can you handle that?
You sit in front of a computer and can talk.I drive in India with these creatures around and 5 or 10 bucks is my solution.You have another solution?
wondering what "NRI" had to do with it. I have lived 28 years of my life in India, you still have a few years to catch up . I have had my own share of trouble with these hijras, and have ended up giving them 2-3 rupees too, but not before giving them what they deserved (verbally).

it's despairing to see that "Men" of the world are afraid of the inappropriate display of hijras. At any spot, I am sure they will be outnumbered by regular people, but fears like these, supersitions, and some inexplicable liking (I really know people who like to dance with these hijras when they compel them, mostly women who came from villages and settled in cities), stop us from retaliating.

Your solution is to pay up? my solution is to create as much trouble as I can, for them. Encouraging, certainly not.
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:26   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : The path is of their own choosing.
Not Always. Some by an accident of nature, some forced. (See DKG's comment).
Quote:
DKG : ... the seedier side of this whole eunuch business where I believe they abduct young boys and castrate them to further their breed
theMAG : Thats an eyeopener.
Quote:
theMAG : But what is more common is cross-dressing: transsexuals. Males dressing themselves up to look like eunuchs
Would be categorised as trans-vestites, not TS.

One possible way to differentiate between the genuine ones & the forced/impostors is : the genuine ones look a little feminine. By features, Not by behaviour/dressing. If you observe them, there's a subtle difference.
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

Threaten

Well, you could threaten to cut off their naughty bits, but I do not think this would have the desired effect.
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:58   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Dan, the problem is they dont have any left !

Ironically, reminds me of "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose .. " !
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:32   #96
Team-BHP Support

As far as I know Pepper spray is illegal.
Pain relief sprays like Moov are not.

They work almost as well.
A spray on the exposed part and the guy(or whatever) may even start dancing.
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:39   #97
Ram
Senior - BHPian

If you look embarrassed, weak or scared, they will take advantage of you.
I look them in the eye and ask them to move on.
They realize that this man will not pay, and move on to the next car before the signal goes green.
It has never failed to work for me.
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:51   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
If you look embarrassed, weak or scared, they will take advantage of you.
I look them in the eye and ask them to move on.
They realize that this man will not pay, and move on to the next car before the signal goes green.
It has never failed to work for me.
I know this has worked for me.. don't look scared or embarrassed. Just try to make a hard face and say " slither off" Outer ring road between Hebbal and KR Puram was infested with these creatures.. now i hardly see them..
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:24   #99
BHPian

If you pay up, you are asking for more trouble, and encouraging them. Maintain your composure, and look them in the eye. The are smart enough to get the cue that you mean business. :-)

-choombak
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:49   #100
BHPian

I was with my colleague on a signal while coming from commercial road.
These characters approached, we did not roll down window and just ignored.

It has used the coin and made few scratches in the car and went away.
What to do in this case?
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:00   #101
BHPian

scratches on car that is insane i would be super angry but i guess we are the ones who are educated and may maintain composure.
Theres no point jumping out and getting into a brawl, so be calm take out your shotgun, nun-chaks, sword or pepper spray or other weapon of choice and hit them where it hurts most. Then knock them out and drag to nearest police station. Now how many of us would do that
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:54   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The path is of their own choosing. They could have kept their sexuality to themselves, the way most homo sexuals or lesbians do. But no, they go around flaunting their absent assets. Sorry, that is simply not acceptable in a civilised society.
You are right, the path is of their own choosing but who says I support them. Im only trying to tell you how to avoid getting into a confrontation. There are all kinds of persons in all societies. Here also there are good and bad ones. I was only trying to say that one must look at them as the lesss fortunate but as my former post says, if you would have gone through it, is that if they want to hold you at ransom, give it back to them. The private part flaunting I dont think they do anymore and they would definitely do that earlier when you are excessively rude to them or threaten them wrongly. And what can you tell them about a civilized society. If the flashers were civilized, they wouldnt be doing this bit would they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
BTW. do any beggars insist that you pay them four figure amounts? These things have the temerity to beg (begging by any other name is begging) for five figure amounts.

And using force to take money from you is not begging. It is called robbery. Robbery by any means does NOT become begging.
I agree that they re nothing but beggars and use their unfortunate circumstance to obtain the means but I have not seen or heard of a single eunuch approaching you in a car and asking you for four figure amount. That would be ridiculous. Normally if one has to get rid of them or if one feels like giving alms to them, a mere Rs5/- or 10/- is sufficient. Maybe you look like Royalty that they would have demanded such a sum from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
You want us to think of them as the less fortunate, while you can thrash the living daylights out of them..eh?

To be honest,now I am more confused by your sermons!!
Well I didnt know so many of you would react like this to my post. Although I took no names and meant no one in particular, those feeling I have hinted towards them have responded.
Mr Spadival sir, If you would take a little time and read my entire post and then try to understand the post in its entirety before being eager to shhot off a reply, you would perhaps not be s confused and mixed up.
Yes I think of them as less fortunate and are they not?? I would also urge to see them in that light.
I have clearly said that i do not encourage the ones who harass and threaten you and when it comes to that you do have to retaliate, but that pats you might have missed reading
Again I am not the one giving sermons. You are confused because you think of it as so.
I do not recommend getting into fisticuffs with such kind as it is not only downright degrading but also dangerous
Once again read my ENTIRE post to relieve your confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
Those who resort to extortion can be dealt easy if you have a hot pepper spray with you handy. I believe most females would be having them in their cars. Also from experiences from other thread related to mugging, i prefer to keep this. Though being in Hyderabad, never faced that situation though i only witnessed one from a moving bus. If they spit or do something obscene, just simply spray the pepper thing all over them. I believe each can comes up to 10 seconds which is sufficient to put off at least 5 of their group. If you are outnumbered, simply wait for the signal to turn green and get ready for the next encounter with more pepper sprays

Though i am compassionate to older beggars who can't work for their age, i hate these ******s. If we first learn to say NO and if it doesn't we must learn to use a pepper spray and this would make them stay away.

I know a pepper spray is more costly than 10 bucks but it makes sure their attitude is curbed if everyone whose car is knocked does this! I am sure this will take off the embarrassment you need to face when you are with your family members if they get what they deserve.
Please Clint Eastwood, do us all a favour and dont do such a thing or even propagate it. Firstly it is illegal and secondly saying and doing such things are two altogether different things. This kind of action im sure will get them to do all the things we have earlier discussed. Trying to be a hero and using force on them does not work as it does not work on any group, let them be ordinary beggars too. IMHO you would be the one at the relieving end from the overzealous public who would probably think of you as an abnormal person. Also such people rarely move alone. They are usually in bands which could make things ugly, really fast. Remember the tables can turn and you can be behind the slammer. In my past, i have never encountered a situation that would rationalize such a thought or action.
But i do maintain that if and nly if you are being hounded or harassed, take the steps necessary, which might not mean spraying or hurting them.
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:58   #103
Senior - BHPian

I have seen them harrassing people for money when I was on train to Delhi eight years back.
Totally unacceptable behaviour in public!!
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:29   #104
F50
Senior - BHPian

I usually pay them. 2-5-10 thats it. Not more than that. If my windows are rolled up then I ignore them, gaze at my Head Unit and keep two fingers on the knob thats it.
Some of them speaks nicely and I willingly give them 2-5 bucks. Some of them are funny too. But when they are not willing to take and demand more thats when it gets on to my nerve.
This incident happened last month. I was with my girl friend driving towards the suburbs. We were talking on some stupid thing and I was laughing with glory. I didnt realise that they were around. And one of them came and started saying what they say when they see a pair. Following is the conversation I roughly remember: lol

He/She - Sundar Jodi hai, gulab jaisi ladki hai.
Me - Mai kya kaata hu?
He/She - Nahi tu toh hero hai
Me - Matlab, khali autograph chalega
He/She - Nahi Raju, kuch toh deneka. No tension, No problem

So, I removed what ever I had in the pocket and it turned out to be 20 bucks. Oh well, gave it, why to search here and there for 5 bucks. But, he/she was not satisfied. Continued with the crap about not displaying private parts and asking.

He/She - Itna nahi chalega aur deneka
Me(wondering) - Itna hi hai
He/She - Nahi aur deneka. Rupeejj 151 toh kamse kam deneka.

I added 1 rupee to it and said "bas itna hi hai, chahiye toh rakho."
Fortunately the stupid signal turned green. And I left.
I was shocked when he/she demanded 151 buck. What the hell.
Like many members out here, my girlfriend was furious with me as I gave 21 bucks and according to her it was not worth more than 2 bucks!!

Well, there are only two options out here(if travelling by road):
1) Either know your roads well and know which junctions are bound to have them. Roll up and ignore them.
2) Or give them 2-5 bucks and end the matter over there.

Last edited by F50 : 3rd April 2008 at 18:31.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:08   #105
BHPian

Well, some things that have worked for me

1. Acting busy by pretending to have a heated discussion over mobile phone (or companion)
2. Looking straight into their eye also helps. Not easy though!

In general, two wheelers bear the brunt of this menace. I really feel that some small steps can help the two wheeler riders in avoiding this

1. Follow the Traffic signal "approach" procedure : This is followed in Sao Paulo where traffic signal mugging is very high. People who see traffic light turning red immediately slow down and approach the traffic light with very slow pace..The time they are actually stationary is less. (well not for all traffic lights, but wherever possible) you may lose a couple of spots, but its well worth it. You will end up a few slots behind the egoistic first liners who are asking to be eunuch'ed

2. The mobile phone trick works for 2 wheelers too.

3. In autos, when travelling alone, they try to get in, sitting in the corner 'may' help.

4. If there is no escape, pay 5 bucks... the torture that comes 'free' with the consequences of not paying is more expensive!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks