Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 17:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: New extortion racket on highways

^^ very true. WRT vnabhi, if the guy protested, the vehicle has to be surrendered until RTO verification is done, the medical reports will not come until next day and so do the RTO's reports what would one do until that time??

the thing is, as long as you are not caught in such cheap acts it is fine, otherwise the best way out shelling out some moola!! sad but true!!

Last edited by anilisanil : 30th December 2010 at 17:19.
Old 30th December 2010, 17:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Just adding some more info to this thread.
Bangalore traffic cops now take Sodexo also as bribe.
One of my friend had to part with Sodexo coupons when he did not have enough cash for the bribe.
Old 30th December 2010, 22:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Anywhere in India, I fear only the cops, they are the worst.
I have found Naxals and terrorists much better guys to deal with.
hvkumar,

When can we expect to read about your experiences on such run-ins. Unless of course you are planning to publish them in book form
Old 9th January 2011, 13:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Just adding some more info to this thread.
Bangalore traffic cops now take Sodexo also as bribe.
One of my friend had to part with Sodexo coupons when he did not have enough cash for the bribe.
Well, cops in Pune accepted cigarettes as bribe around '95. I and a friend were returning from my friends place (about 3 km away) around 7am in our PJs. We were just in college and didnt have any money on us. One of us volunteered to wait while the other fetched money from home. apparently the cop was in too much of a hurry and couldnt wait, so took the 3 ciggies we had on us (only thing in our pockets) and went off.
Old 9th January 2011, 14:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Well, cops in Pune accepted cigarettes as bribe around '95. I and a friend were returning from my friends place (about 3 km away) around 7am in our PJs. We were just in college and didnt have any money on us. One of us volunteered to wait while the other fetched money from home. apparently the cop was in too much of a hurry and couldnt wait, so took the 3 ciggies we had on us (only thing in our pockets) and went off.
Well.

Year: 1990-91
Place: Varanasi
Crime: driving without license.
Bribe: Pan (costing 50p then)

What more can i say

Regards,
Old 20th February 2012, 08:21   #36
Mik
BHPian

Not sure if this classifies as extortion, but here goes.

Yesterday evening, coming back from Chail i was doing good time on my Estilo because of light traffic on the highway. Just beyond Panipat towards delhi, down a flyover i might have tipped over three digits.(I am the 90 to 100 kmph type driver)
Just a kilometer ahead, there was a police picket and they were making a big act of checking number plates and pulling over cars. I had to pull over too.
Here goes the conversation.

Me: Bataaiye (tell me)
Cop: Ek Sau Do - Zaada tez thaa... pul se utar te waqt. Hazaar rupaye ka challan hai. (102 - overspeeding- while going down the flyover - 1000Rs challan)
Me: Theek hai. Speed gun ki reading dikhaao. I will pay up.

Cop was clearly taken aback.
He said that he could get it confirmed on the radio but for slip, i had to go back and get the slip. This seemed irrational to me so I said

Me: Theek hai.. Kahaan dena hai Hazaar rupaye challan.
Cop: (A bit panicky) -- Sir we can adjust. Otherwise you have to give a thousand.
Me: Nahi.. aapne bola hai toh sach hi hoga. Mai challan doonga (If you say so.. it must be true. I will pay for the challan)
Cop: (Disheartened) Sirji uss table pe challan katwaa lo phir.. agar adjust nahi karna (Sir, get it on that table there, if you dont want to adjust)

Turns out, the challan for overspeeding (Offence # 28) was only 400Rs. I paid it with a smile.
Pulling away, i saw an elderly gentleman slipping a 500Rs note into the Cops hand as "Bachho ki mithaai" for what i presume to be the same offence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks