Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2008, 14:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

400rs down the drain

Yesterday I am cruising around 90kmph on the NH1 after karnal(as I have done hundreds of times!) I see a haryana roadways bus blocking my way well past 80. I flash lights and honk, the guy gives me left indicator, left being clear I floor is and cross the bus, and while I am doing it I see an interceptor with a radar gun!
I know I have been had. This is the first time I have seen an interceptor on this road!
Half a km ahead there is a police barricade which tells me that the speed limit is 90kmph and I was doing 103.
Good enough. I am ready to pay the 400rs fine.
I then ask the dude whats the speed limit for heavy vehicles?
He tells me 65kmph.
I then asked him are they challaning buses also. He says no. We can't.
I ask him that its because you are not permitted.
He says no, thats not the case but bus drivers create a nuisance and don't stop and get problematic, so they are just stopping cars and trucks!
I am like
So many buses thunder down the road at 90kmph, 25kmph above the limit, and they are not stopped cause they are rowdy!?
So what he is telling us private motorists is that get violent and rowdy and you can break any traffic law!
I really wish that one of these 90kmph bus drivers lose control and mow down their barricade. Maybe then they will start challaning them too.

But its not all bleak, I am happy that haryana govt has set a sensible speed limit of 90kmph, very much in line with the road quality.

I wouldn't have cribbed about the well deserved fine too only if they treat all drivers on that road equally
Old 6th April 2008, 14:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Happened to me on the Calicut byepass too - I was chalaned for doing 64 kmph in a 60 kmph zone (how the hell was I supposed to know? there were NO signs mentioning speed limits, but the cops said that I should've known this anyway) when there were private buses tearing around at 80kmph.

I refused to pay until they stopped other vehicles (esp buses) doing speeds over the limit and waited around till they trapped 3 buses on the camera and got them to pay.
Old 6th April 2008, 14:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

There are signs on this bye-pass but too few of them. I wouldn't be surprised if this 'over speeding' fine collection was an end-of-month exercise in futility.

What is the point if the dumb law enforcers use nonsense logic to fill up their coffers rather than clamp down on dangerous driving from those monstrous beasts that pride themselves on being Fast Passengers(track?) and Limited Stop to hell.

Last edited by MaserQ : 6th April 2008 at 15:02.
Old 7th April 2008, 20:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Happened to me on the Calicut byepass too - I was chalaned for doing 64 kmph in a 60 kmph zone (how the hell was I supposed to know? there were NO signs mentioning speed limits, but the cops said that I should've known this anyway) when there were private buses tearing around at 80kmph.

I refused to pay until they stopped other vehicles (esp buses) doing speeds over the limit and waited around till they trapped 3 buses on the camera and got them to pay.
Thats really stupid on their part to stop people & fine them. If there's any signs indicating the speed limit,how would anyone know if its 65kmph or 85kmph. I could be out of town,and not have a clue.
I'm not sure if its at the Calicut bypass,where they have 1 big board with the speed limits from anything from a cycle to trucks,displayed right at the start of the bypass road.
Old 7th April 2008, 23:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tsk, no wonder the bus driver gave you the way to overtake! He would have been all smiles!!!

But the logic of stopping only private vehicle and not buses is dumb, if not outright crazy!
Old 7th April 2008, 23:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Lets all get Honda Civics. The digital speedo will give us the satisfaction that we were actually doing 41 in a 40 zone, and that we're being held up for the right reasons.
Old 8th April 2008, 02:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Lets all get Honda Civics. The digital speedo will give us the satisfaction that we were actually doing 41 in a 40 zone, and that we're being held up for the right reasons.
what about speedo error
Old 8th April 2008, 03:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yesterday I am cruising around 90kmph on the NH1 after karnal(as I have done hundreds of times!) I see a haryana roadways bus blocking my way well past 80. I flash lights and honk, the guy gives me left indicator, left being clear I floor is and cross the bus, and while I am doing it I see an interceptor with a radar gun!
I know I have been had. This is the first time I have seen an interceptor on this road!
Half a km ahead there is a police barricade which tells me that the speed limit is 90kmph and I was doing 103.
Good enough. I am ready to pay the 400rs fine.
I then ask the dude whats the speed limit for heavy vehicles?
He tells me 65kmph.
I then asked him are they challaning buses also. He says no. We can't.
I ask him that its because you are not permitted.
He says no, thats not the case but bus drivers create a nuisance and don't stop and get problematic, so they are just stopping cars and trucks!
I am like
They don't do buses as they are under their hafta. i remember it was shown sometime back in some news channel though hidden cameras.
Old 8th April 2008, 09:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
That's the right thing to do before you decide to pay up, but we wont have the same amount of time the next time round.
Old 8th April 2008, 09:38   #10
Team-BHP Support

Here it was not possible for me to speeds of the buses because the check post was 600mts ahead of the interceptor.
However I think I will drive with the headlights on in future, and keep an eye out on the left lane in that stretch.
If I can't have equality, then I might as well try to find workarounds.
Mud cakes, anyone?
Old 8th April 2008, 10:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well thats something new i have heard about traffic police.

As in haryana i have seen buses getting challened so many times.

last time i remember a haryana roadways bus getting challaned at speed of 92 kmph

but interceptors are rarely seen on highways in haryana(Tanveer got challaned for the ist time in HR) and they are very biased towards VIP cars(i enjoyed this once)
they will just let the VIP cars go without any fuss no matter what speed they are doing.

Anyways,driving with headlights on has lot of benefits so not a bad idea at all.

And 400 Rs is still better than Delhi Police charging 900 Rs
Old 8th April 2008, 10:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
They don't do buses as they are under their hafta. i remember it was shown sometime back in some news channel though hidden cameras.
You are right here's the news 98 'stung' Delhi traffic cops suspended

By the way thanks Tanveer, for warning us before hand, guess we'll all be on the look out.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

I do the NH stretch very often and have faced an intercetor only once. I think the Haryana cops are getting wiser. As far as not challaning roadways buses are concerned well mate welcome to Haryana.lolz.
Another stretch you ahve to be careful is between Rai and Sonepat just beyond the TDI city.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:32   #14
BHPian

Are you guys talking about the NH8 sector, coz I do it quite regularly but till now haven't come across one interceptor too. *touch wood, i don't come across any of them.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

Do they use LIDAR or RADAR?
I asked the guy but he did not have clue except for "It takes photo of numberplate".
So if you have really bright headlights, they won't get your number plate right?
I think thats why they go away when sun goes down.

Most Viewed