Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2008, 23:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ever had an...umm..."off day" ??

Hopped into my car for an industrial visit through college to L&T, Powai in the morning. Fantastic drive on the Western Express Highway (around 8am) and an uneventful and boring drive through Saki Naka to L&T thereafter. After we were done, about ten of us decided to head to the new Jugheads opened by Powai lake.

Indicent 1 : I decided to drive my friends Sumo as I had never driven a car of its proportions ever before. Following was my friend driving my Accent, and another in his Swift with a highly exaggerated and loud horn (you guys gettin the drift of where this is headed?). While we wait to take the right after the under-construction flyover, I notice a couple of cops standing by, waiting to make their daily cut. When the three vehicles crossed the street to take the right turn, my friend in the Swift blares his horn at a couple of pedestrians. Now assuming that the LOUD horn came from the BIG car, the cop stops me while the other vehicles drive by. Asks for licence, grabbed by him upon being shown and then I'm told I honked on No-Honking-Day and will be fined 500 !!! Kept telling him it wasn't my horn, and infact even had him listen to the Sumo's horn which was, strangely, barely audible. Nothing doing. Settled it for 300 after a fairly long agrument (wasn't I thoroughly and completely ripped off here?)

Incident 2 : On the way back from Powai, driving my own Accent, I decided to take JVLR. Two/three signals after Matoshree Club (I'm sorry i'm not well-versed with the area), I stopped at the red light behind an Alto. Light turns green, both cars pick up speed and suddenly a rickshaw driver swerves into the way, neglecting the signal of course, and gets hit pretty badly by the Alto, and my '01 Accent (sans ABS) rams right into the Alto !! Considered swerving for a moment but I wudve definitely hospitalized, if not wiped out, the innocent biker parallel to me on the left. Brakes seemed to fail at that moment too, or was it just my imagination, because I totally buried the pedal into the floor and yet it wasn't enough. Thankfully, seatbelts were on and everyone in the car was safe, furthermore the Alto driver was not annoyed with me, realizing it was not my fault at all. So basically, a couple of hits in a day and for no fault of my own at both times.

Yet, I thank God for what could possibly have been incidents three and four on the Western Express Highway on the way back to Bandra. A couple of UTTERLY RETARDED bikers, one on an Activa and the other on some 110-125cc bike, were cutting through lanes like crazy and leaning upto 45 degrees while at it!! I happened to catch the Activa fellow in my ORVM and swerved out of the way, expecting him to either leave something on my car or slipping and coming under it. This was on the turning stretch between Centaur (Sahara Star) and the beginning of the Santacruz flyover. On the Santacruz flyover, some crazy fellow driving a black Wagon R was cutting through lanes without any sense of judgement whatsoever, first missing my front bumper by inches and then clipping the bumper of the red Swift ahead of me in the same lane while cutting him. Trust me, the rest of the journey was on high alert on my part!! Totally an off-day for someone who loves to drive.

-ak.

Here's a souvenir. Smashed headlamp, bumper and foglamp intact, dents and damage to side panel as well as bonnet. In the picture, that doesn't look as bad as it actually is.
Attached Thumbnails
Ever had an...umm..."off day" ??-dsc00205.jpg  

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th April 2008 at 23:25. Reason: Fear of facing Mod's wrath for wrong spellings :-)
Old 7th April 2008, 23:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ohh ohhh..thats to much of a bad hit bro.and seriously i hate going to that road of matoshree and powai,i feel that place is jinxed even i had a mishap a couple of times
Old 7th April 2008, 23:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

This was my inaugural visit there actually. I always took Saki Naka.
Old 8th April 2008, 00:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Go back home.. Get into bed and sleep and pretend that this day never happened.

Thats what i would do.

Goddy
Old 8th April 2008, 00:29   #5
BHPian

Oooh! That's a bad hit Flyingspur.

Agree with Godfather, I would also say, just have a drink and forget it. Let bygones be bygones.

Take Care!
Old 8th April 2008, 00:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Another day on the streets of India,flyingspur.
As hard as it gets to digest these things,its become part & parcel of everyone's lives. Think of it this way.. It could have been worse!.

Hope things work out better going forward!
Old 8th April 2008, 09:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Some days are just not meant for driving; but the irony is that you never know its 'that' day till you start driving!!!

The hit looks bad. Hope the jinx is done with and you have much better drives ahead FlyingSpur.
Old 8th April 2008, 09:31   #8
BHPian

Rs. 500/- for honking??? And I thot 'NO honking day' was an 'initiative' from the police, not a rule!!
Old 8th April 2008, 17:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Rs. 500/- for honking??? And I thot 'NO honking day' was an 'initiative' from the police, not a rule!!
Exactly. Anyway the newspaper today carries figures of the number of people booked for honking. I really did not see any fine being announced in the newspapers. I guess the cops had a good day out. Let us, the booked-for-honking club, consider it a donation to their good health.

Not much of an update, this, but today I was riding shotgun with a friend and on the way to college and back we witnessed a couple of accidents and ourselves narrowly missed a stupid schoolgirl who thought it was funny to dart across Linking Road and then have a car screech to a halt an INCH from her knees. I'm totally taking the bus tomorrow!!
Old 8th April 2008, 17:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

And here's another one. Beloved will go to the body shop tomorrow.

Ever had an...umm..."off day" ??-dsc00206.jpg
Old 8th April 2008, 17:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

My journey to office today was as horrible as it could be. It started witha Kilometer long traffic jam in front of my house. I took a different route and ended up in a lane which had been dug, again changed route and ended up in another lane where people had just started digging. Ultimately found a clean lane that took me to the main road but lost more than an hour in doing so. I tried to make up lost time and was doing about 80 kmph on a flyover when out of the blue a moron in a golden zen came out of an intersection without looking anywhere. When he did look it was quite late and saw me coming at him. He panicked and stopped then and there creating even more problems for me. I do not remember what I did but must have done whatever I know to stop the car. The car screeched and swerved and skidded and ultimately came to a halt just inches away from the front door of the zen. All the people around shouted at the driver of the zen. I thought of getting down and giving him a tight slap so that he would rememeber for the rest of his life, but I could see the fear in his eyes and could not say anything. He must have thanked his stars for getting away unhurt and me for not adding another feather on my cap .

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th April 2008 at 17:47.
Old 8th April 2008, 18:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
My journey to office today was as horrible as it could be. It started witha Kilometer long traffic jam in front of my house. I took a different route and ended up in a lane which had been dug, again changed route and ended up in another lane where people had just started digging. Ultimately found a clean lane that took me to the main road but lost more than an hour in doing so. I tried to make up lost time and was doing about 80 kmph on a flyover when out of the blue a moron in a golden zen came out of an intersection without looking anywhere. When he did look it was quite late and saw me coming at him. He panicked and stopped then and there creating even more problems for me. I do not remember what I did but must have done whatever I know to stop the car. The car screeched and swerved and skidded and ultimately came to a halt just inches away from the front door of the zen. All the people around shouted at the driver of the zen. I thought of getting down and giving him a tight slap so that he would rememeber for the rest of his life, but I could see the fear in his eyes and could not say anything. He must have thanked his stars for getting away unhurt and me for not adding another feather on my cap .
These guys are a growing breed. Glad you got away without damage to your car or yourself.
Old 8th April 2008, 21:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
These guys are a growing breed. Glad you got away without damage to your car or yourself.
The growth will just take new proportions post Nano.
Old 14th April 2008, 21:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey any help how much this would cost to fix? I mean, will the bonnet and side panel have to be completely replaced? The headlamps are working perfectly but I guess since the front plastic screen is smashed it will have to be replaced. Bumper paint may be excluded from the estimate. What say guys?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks