Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 17:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Oversteering - Meaning When you want the car to turn left (example), the rear gets too heavy or over balanced and starts to come off the line,(rear trying to maintain the straight line) and you will feel the rear trying to overtake the front. (this was traditionally with rear wheel automobiles)

Understeering - When you expect to turn left, the front just 'does not' want to turn left and keeps going straight(sort of) and you end up missing the turn. (VERY common with front wheeled automobiles)

4wheel drive cars have a very nice reputation of solving both this problem, (Audi Quattro, Lambo, etc)

Tail happy usually refers to oversteering, (gurus, correct me if I am wrong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Pardon my ignorance. Please somebody enlighten me as to what is 'tail happy' nature.
Old 10th April 2008, 19:08   #62
BHPian

Reckless driving....

The website says:
Quote:
A new Maruti Swift car which was on road for test driving skidded off the road and fell into Shambhavi River near Kulur bridge here on Tuesday April 8 afternoon.
The car belonged to Mandovi showroom and a total of 4 members were there in the car when the tragedy took place. The car rammed into a stone after the driver lost control over it and rolled into the nearby river.
I guess this is a case of reckless driving.
Also, the car is KA-09 registered (Mysore). Wonder what it was doing in Mangalore... maybe a fishing trip...
Old 10th April 2008, 19:17   #63
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

If that is the case, has anyone ever heard of a TDriver paying up for damages? I have never heard such a case. How can a Tdriver be held liable? He can even end up saying the car was not in a good condition to drive, so on and so forth.!

Throw some light guys.
my brother shelled out some money for breaing a verna CRDI's power external RVM(left side) during a TD

he floored the accelerator, and the car caught him off gaurd when the turbo kicked in. trying to avoid rear ending the car in front, he swerved to overtake, and clipped the car in front with the RVM.

so, yes,the TD guy will pay i think. especially when its a case of negligent driving.

Old 11th April 2008, 07:21   #64
BHPian

Thank you Rotorhead and Svsantosh for your inputs. Also to Vnabhi for his inspiring comments. Oversteer is enjoyable on a wide track but on a narrow street with trucks and buses coming the other way...it's a no no

As for Rippergeo's brother, he should have argued with the Hyundai person. The testdrive car is covered under insurance and backed up by its own service centre. (Next time if you have some problem with a Kochi dealer, just give me a ring) A good dealer in normal case wont bother if you break something in their testdrive vehicle(own experience). They are supposed to get it covered under the insurance and not from the test driver's pocket. Had it been not for their invite for a testdrive in their ad, you wouldn't have gone there, would you?

So the next time you are on a test drive, make the best of it. I strongly recommend some 20 metres wheelspin, a few handbrake turns, crashing over a few potholes or perhaps you can emulate the Mangalore guy in Dzire by a taking a dip in the nearest pool. Still if you are not satisfied with your testdrive tell them that you will be back the next day and when you come, bring a helmet along to scare the lights out of the salesman accompanying you.

( But on the same time the delaers are not responsible for any damage caused to other road users by one's reckless driving. So it is always better to drive carefully and in case something goes wrong, be fast to settle the claims of the other car involved, then and there itself. The Police doesn't like people who are about to buy a new car)
Old 13th April 2008, 10:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Pardon my ignorance. Please somebody enlighten me as to what is 'tail happy' nature.
The sequence of events which happens when u show a labrador a piece of meat is known as tail happy nature!
Old 13th April 2008, 10:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

Crash Test Dummies!

I hope they had to pay for the car.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:24   #67
BHPian

What about the insurance ?!
I still think Insurance Guy will pay partly for it an rest of it will be paid by the Guys doing Dare Devil!
Old 13th April 2008, 20:01   #68
BHPian

That's what is called test whether you can drive . trust you drive ..I am sure maruti guys should get the driver to make a report on how was the experience .

God save if he buys the car and will run the hell on road
Old 14th April 2008, 11:49   #69
BHPian

Dzire to drown...he he he
Old 14th April 2008, 13:59   #70
BANNED

Hmm.. I was looking out for a new ownership report in the wrong section. Now, this is a bit of a tragicomedy. Taking a vehicle off road on what appears to be a relatively straight road requires a good degree of (in)experience. Now I am thinking "did the anti-submarine seats work?" (lol - I do know what they are).

BTW, when I was out looking for a car, I did NOT test drive it myself, I was too inexperienced as a driver, and was aware of pains and expenses of a damaged vehicle. Drove the new vehicle for precisely one feet at time of delivery, and handed it over to a friend.

Frankly, I am a bit surprised at the number of queries in some of the newbie driver threads about experiences of TDs and driving clases going hand in hand.
Old 14th April 2008, 14:51   #71
BHPian

Maybe they had a desire to swim.
Old 14th April 2008, 15:11   #72
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the dZire is Very nervous over speeds of 130-140, Not Good considering it has more oomph in it for to reach 160+.

Gurus, advice needed - is it just the footwear or something wrong with the new suspension damping?
Old 14th April 2008, 19:43   #73
BHPian

DEZIRE being a SWIFT + Boot....maybe they didn't fix the boot properly resulting in the boot NOT following the swift causing panic situations.

Old 20th April 2008, 07:04   #74
BHPian

Ire on DZiRE

Ire on the DZiRE

Any news yet on the reasons for the accident.

A very concerned DZiRE owner.
Old 20th April 2008, 07:11   #75
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Ire on the DZiRE

Any news yet on the reasons for the accident.

A very concerned DZiRE owner.
I suppose we've recieved as much information on the crash as we can, because we have no eyewitnesses in the forum.

the most likely cause for the accident was an inexperienced driver who ripped the car without any responsibilty because he was'nt paying for it. owners are unlikely to do that kind of driving.

before anyone jumps on me for saying its the driver's fault-let me say, that its more likely to be driver error than a manufacturing defect /design flaw.

people from mangalore,who are familiar with this particular road will tell you how difficult it is to crash here.

Most Viewed