Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2008, 23:27   #1
BHPian

My first post needs heartfelt comments

Go through the sequence of photographs and see what road rage and racing can do to humans.
Here given below is what I observed.
While coming back from hospital after a hard mornings work I spot two guys in the rear view mirror trying to overtake everyone on the road. We were approaching the Palarivattom Bye pass traffic junction which is a real busy junction.
Since we were approaching the junction with a median in the center I decided I ain't going to give space for them to slot in between my Junkindica and the car in front. Lo and behold both of them crossed the median and parked their cars onto the on coming traffic in the right lane. All chaos broke loose when the traffic light turned green for the oncoming traffic. Watch the attachments and see their idiocity. Probably they thought for a fleeting moment they were in America. A lone cop came and asked both of them to take their vehilces off the road and into a side lane. Its a phone camera so the image are down right dawdy.
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Bye and wear your seat belts especially with guys like the ones driving vehicles in these images.
Attached Thumbnails
My first post needs heartfelt comments-picture7.jpg  

My first post needs heartfelt comments-picture8.jpg  

My first post needs heartfelt comments-picture9.jpg  

Old 12th April 2008, 23:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the Scorpio driver vanished. At least he is not visible in the 3rd photo. The problem with the idiots on the roads like these two is that they think the earth about themselves but rarely show any civic sense.

These are also the people who cause accidents on the roads and bring others to danger. Only way to deal with such people is to put them behind the bars for a night and then the next day hand them a huge penalty and to suspend their driving license for 6 months.
Old 12th April 2008, 23:39   #3
BANNED

This is same as 'The Great India Rail Crossing Idiocy'. That idocy is decribed here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Somebody (who belongs to a higher BHP caste than me) ought to start a good driver thread and/or a 'bonehead things I have seen Indian drivers do' thread.

I am amazed when the gate falls at a railroad crossing and the imbeciles pass you on the right and que up at the gate in the right lane. Then the train passes and the gate goes up. Wonder of wonders, what a surprise! On-coming traffic on the other side now wants to use the right lane. Who could have possibly foreseen this?

One thing I have learned as an outsider, you Indian folks have an amazing tolerance for one another. Almost everyday in India I see driving antics that would start a brawl in my country, the U.S. They are ignored by Indians. Your way is better.
Old 12th April 2008, 23:48   #4
BHPian

The scorpio did not vanish.

He was probably greasing the palm of the cop who was there in a side lane. The cop caught hold of the scorpio first and took him aside. I do not know if the Zen fellow got away as I got the green signal by then.
Bye and wear your seat belts and now you know why.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Now I know why the 'Scorpers' have a bad image.. I totally agree with you Zappo on the punishment part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Looks like the Scorpio driver vanished. At least he is not visible in the 3rd photo.These are also the people who cause accidents on the roads and bring others to danger. Only way to deal with such people is to put them behind the bars for a night and then the next day hand them a huge penalty and to suspend their driving license for 6 months.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:35   #6
BANNED

How about sending these photographs to the media? The number plates are not clearly visible but still it might make a difference if they publish it.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have seen traffic wardens (they are a different species, not traffic cops) in Pune actually encourage this kind of behaviour !!
Old 13th April 2008, 11:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

This kind of driving is pretty common in Mumbai. Whenever there is jam, the bikers and the autos simply switch to the right most lane of the opposite direction and continue on their merry ways.

After a while some small hatches - like the zen, M800 all try and emulate them.

When I encounter such idiots - all I do is drive close to the divider and go really close and stop the car inches away. If they do not bbudge, wimply shut the car and wait.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:45   #9
BHPian

We all see such morons everyday in our city's traffic, don't we? And it's amazing how helpless we are. No matter how infuriated we feel and how we would like to just thrash these kind of people to death, we just can't do anything. And these are not some deserted nooks and crannies where such dangerous flouting of rules is happening - it happens in the most busy signals, right under the cops' noses, in front of helpless co-commuters. We can just watch and feel angry.

Me too witnessed a similar incident yesterday at the Jubilee Hills check post signal. As I was approaching the signal, the signal turned amber from green and I slowed down and soon it turned red, so I stopped. This Santro, which was behind me, came in front and tried to jump the signal. He was well past the stop line, when he had to stop coz the traffic from the right side had started moving and he would get rammed if he moved any further. So now, the Santro is dangerously obstructing that traffic putting his own life in danger too. One cop comes up to him and asks him to take his car to the side to get challaned. Then I observed - the guy rolled down his window and looked like a well-bred professional (he had all the physical traits of an IT professional complete with a company ID around his neck and smart formal attire). But unlike an educated person, he started arguing with the cop saying he hadn't seen the signal and was just a few feet ahead, so what's the big deal. I felt so . I am used to auto wallas, indicab drivers behaving like this - but a seemingly educated person arguing like this? He kept arguing while another cop joined in and they started shouting. Now our signal turned green and immediately, this Santro sped off leaving those cops shouting. As I followed him for a while I could see him gesticulating animatedly to his co-passenger and he must have been going on like "The bugger cops are always looking to extort money. What about the numerous autos, indicabs which flout rules - do they catch them?". I felt so angry with the whole thing.

Yet, all I could do was just watch and feel frustrated while one more such traffic moron (and that too well-bred) goes off the hook. True, we Indians are mighty tolerant.

: I know this doesn't add much value to this thread but I wanted to vent my anger somewhere by writing all this and now I feel relieved.
Old 13th April 2008, 14:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
the guy rolled down his window and looked like a well-bred professional...But unlike an educated person, he started arguing with the cop... I am used to auto wallas, indicab drivers behaving like this - but a seemingly educated person arguing like this?
Now I know how the Monster.com guys got their ad idea. An autowallah caught in the wrong job
Old 13th April 2008, 15:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Now I know how the Monster.com guys got their ad idea. An autowallah caught in the wrong job
The best way to put it!

People expect others to follow rules, but for self, rules can be bend!
Old 13th April 2008, 17:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
This kind of driving is pretty common in Mumbai. Whenever there is jam, the bikers and the autos simply switch to the right most lane of the opposite direction and continue on their merry ways.
Some places where it's common? Entrance to WE Highway from Vile Parle (E) at Centaur junction. The cops themselves beckon to the vehicles to hurry the hell up!!

Another place is the road running between Mahim Church and the beginning of Tulsi Pipe Road. It just gets so bad there, its not even funny. Discipline is a luxury in Mumbai.
Old 13th April 2008, 19:56   #13
BHPian

There is no sense left in todays drive world . I stay in Navimumbai and drive to office daily , Anytime even a small jam , the vehicles just try the next gap in the roaddivider and move from opposite lane ( mostly tourist guys ) and looking at them all follow suit . In th end they move ahead of the jam and since they join the same lane , the ones who patiently wait for jam to ease reamin stuck for some more time .

It irritates you to the core and this pushes more people to start the opp lane next time . Its high time that the cops get nasty on such supposdly smart drivers .

To calrify , i drive scorpio and do feel that all who drive the scorpio are not such types .. Its in the mans' mind not the vehicle .
Old 13th April 2008, 20:37   #14
BHPian

These pictures ought to be sent to the newspapers. What on earth were they thinking obstructing the oncoming traffic like that? Total morons. Cars should be impounded, fines should be slapped on them and their driving licenses should be revoked.
Old 14th April 2008, 12:15   #15
BANNED

Doctor, nice snaps. You really got a good vantage point to shoot the pics. Now that this has started in our own kochuKochi, well...

Most Viewed