Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:42   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
If population is a problem then why isnt the government and civic agency doing anything to control it?
Because a certain Ms Gandhi wouldnt let them do anything about the menace created by these dogs
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

People of a locality can report the nuisance a pack is causing to the local municipality. They can arrange for a dog picking vehicle (If I can say so).
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:14   #93
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Because a certain Ms Gandhi wouldnt let them do anything about the menace created by these dogs
This is really frustrating. I really wonder how many people have succumbed to their injuries as a result of the stray dog menace. I know a friend who was thrown off her 2 wheeler and was in a coma for 4 weeks as a result of an attack by a stray dog.

What is something like this had happened to someone in the cetain Ms. Gandhi's family? Would that make her change her stance?
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:17   #94
BANNED

Quote:
I will give you an example how we controlled dog population in one certain area, in Panaji Goa. Humanely.

We had this huge issue of stray dogs, there were a large number of them. These mostly came from a small slum area created by the local municipality to house contract workers for a period of 2-3 years.

There were people like above who could only crib about the menance and then point fingers at us dog lovers and refer to Maneka Gandhi exactly as above. I never got the connection.

We as a group went to this slum area and took down the details of each dog to be found there and within our area. This took almost a week of walking to every street and corner. Each dog was marked as male and female with a plastic band made of easily bought plastic sheet. Blue was for males and pink for females Yes there were quite a few girls in the group.

There were a total of 100 odd dogs. Now we found out that almost 40% of these were not actually strays and had owners. We recommended them to have them vaccinated at the local government vetenary clinic. We even used one of my friends TATA 407 pickup to round these dogs and take them there. I even took some of them in my Classic.

During this period almost 10-15 stray healthy dogs were adopted by people who understood our concern.

As the months passed by the number of dogs in our area came down. New entrants were seen but now people were more vigil and got them vaccinated all by themselves.

Over time the slum moved away too and the dogs slowly died or went away.

Today we have a totally free colony of dogs. There are still the odd number here and there but they are no longer menancing and each one of them is vaccinated.

People routinely take sick dogs to be put to sleep at the Vetenary.

Its a community thing, each time waiting for the corrupt governments you yourself brought to power to act you are making your own lives miserable.

Note from mod: Post edited Please watch your tone. Sarcasm will only lead to flame wars and will not make the conversation constructive. Therefore try to put your point in a more civil manner

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd July 2009 at 18:25.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

Stray dogs are a big menace here in Bangalore.I my locality itself I can count a pack of at least 20-30 dogs.

These dogs are quite dangerous especially if you are riding a bike late night. They some time pounce on you & will follow the bike. I had couple of scary moments some time back, I nearly lost control of my bike.

Forget bikes they even start barking at you & will run along cars, such instances can easily distract a driver and cause an accident.

Kids & women are especially venerable to a pack of dogs, some time back I heard that some small kid got killed by dogs.

Looks like no one is bothered to control stray population, if BBMP cannot remove these dogs out of Bangalore then at least sterile them so that they don’t multiple.

For hell sake don’t let over cities be taken over by stray dogs.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:26   #96
Team-BHP Support

I request all people of Bangalore who do not believe stray dog problem exists to take a 2am bike rode through the bylanes of Thippasandra, Indranagar etc., areas.
I am sure other areas maybe also have this problem, but the above mentioned ones are the ones where I faced this problem.

Secondly many strays are not strays but indirect pets of watchmen and security guards who feed them in the day so that they can sleep on duty without fear.

I have myself fallen from the bike when dogs jumped on us, and once I have been surrounded by 20 dogs all snarling. Revving for few minutes and with hand on horn continuously I was able to keep them at bay.
After that it was legs on handle bar front wheel in air and zoom. The longest and probably the only wheelie of my life.

I was so scared of that incident that I contemplated carrying a sword at night, but finally sanity prevailed and I never executed the plan.
A friend of mine had to miss work for 2 weeks as he broke his collar bone when dogs jumped on him at night. He was bitten too
He stopped night biking after that, and when he got his car I am sure he took revenge.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd July 2009 at 18:30.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:37   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

I simply cannot fathom how people have accidents over such trivial matters. And to top it all, they blame the poor dog! Human stupidity, I tell u.... sigh!
Human Stupidity? Read this and many more to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I know a friend who was thrown off her 2 wheeler and was in a coma for 4 weeks as a result of an attack by a stray dog.
Human Stupidity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
We had this huge issue of stray dogs, there were a large number of them.
Human Stupidity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Stray dogs are a big menace here in Bangalore.I my locality itself I can count a pack of at least 20-30 dogs.

These dogs are quite dangerous especially if you are riding a bike late night. They some time pounce on you & will follow the bike. I had couple of scary moments some time back, I nearly lost control of my bike.

Forget bikes they even start barking at you & will run along cars, such instances can easily distract a driver and cause an accident.

Kids & women are especially venerable to a pack of dogs, some time back I heard that some small kid got killed by dogs.
Human Stupidity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I request all people of Bangalore who do not believe stray dog problem exists to take a 2am bike rode through the bylanes of Thippasandra, Indranagar etc., areas.
I am sure other areas maybe also have this problem, but the above mentioned ones are the ones where I faced this problem.

I have myself fallen from the bike when dogs jumped on us, and once I have been surrounded by 20 dogs all snarling. Revving for few minutes and with hand on horn continuously I was able to keep them at bay.

I was so scared of that incident that I contemplated carrying a sword at night, but finally sanity prevailed and I never executed the plan.
A friend of mine had to miss work for 2 weeks as he broke his collar bone when dogs jumped on him at night. He was bitten too
He stopped night biking after that, and when he got his car I am sure he took revenge.
Of course if someone wants to argue just for the heck of it, they have full rights. Go ahead.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:16   #98
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
In my entire life I have never been bothered by a single stray dog any which way.
Raccoon,

Let's just say that you have been lucky. But for all the unfortunate folk (me included) who have been victims of the stray dog menace, I don't think it would count as "stupidity" that did us in.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:52   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Some stray dogs are quite a menace. They chase you no apparant reason. The faster you go the more determined they get. I had a Pom chase me everytime I took a route. Once, my gears got stuck which slowed down the bike, which made a huge revving sound, and he backed off. After that whenever I see him in a mood to chase, I just stop and go very very slowly past him.
I can't carry a Bourbon pack every time I go by that route.
I haven't seen him lately.
So if some cabbie hurts this doggie, I'd prefer that, instead of some lady getting scared and leaving the handle bar and crashing into someone, or someone getting bit, or some child getting hurt. There are subtle doggies and there are dangerous ones.
Remember, no one is provoking a subtle or a fierce canine here.
Disclaimer: I simply love dogs. I feed some regularly and treat them very nicely.
Some human beings are also a menace? Shall we kill themselves as well and remember they can think for themselves unlike dogs.

Quote:
So is it a dog's fault? Does he even have a choice? The only reedeming feature of being a human is that we can think abt ourselves and others around us.... else as a race we are even worse than animals... we just happen to be more intelligent.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd July 2009 at 19:58. Reason: Please use multiquote options instead of making back to back posts, Thanks
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:01   #100
Senior - BHPian

@et: I have nothing against dogs. I love them. Heck we had one for 15 years.

The grouse is not with dogs but with some people who should do something so that both Dogs & humans are safe from each other
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

Dog menace is gona amplify cause authorities are doing nothing and am noticing the dog population...

Agree with Tsk... thippasandra and surrounding area is dangerous after 11pm.
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:01   #102
Sha
BHPian

During our drive to Leh I hardly saw stray dogs in Rajasthan, so it's time for Bangalore guys to pack them up and transfer to Rajasthan.
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:16   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Some human beings are also a menace? Shall we kill themselves as well and remember they can think for themselves unlike dogs.
Don't worry they are all on death rolls.
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

there is a very very basic and excellent solution.
Humans when move into any area,main reason behind it is because it is habitable.
kill the food source then automatically the Dogs will not stay in your area.
I remember in my area for 1 day we took strict action on people throwing garbage near our compound wall. Before stray dogs used to go around have a feeding frenzy in the garbage. But now they have moved over to a different lane.

Keeping the place clean, Throwing your garbage in the specified places(in bangalore there are door to door garbage collection services). Some times people are so stingy.. There is a door to door garbage collection personal in our area, just to avoid paying that guy 5 or 10 bucks for a tea once in a while people ignore them/throw garbage on road before he arrives etc.

well back to the topic -
stop the dogs food source(including people feeding stray dogs their everyday extra food remains..) you have to strictly say to those people if you want to feed the dog then keep him on a leash inside your house.
This method is great for the city also.
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:22   #105
BANNED

Stray dogs are a real problem. Specially for 2 wheeler riders. In addition they mess up the whole place so you have to "Watch where you walk".
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks