Team-BHP - Weird, Wacky, Informative & some not so...Info on travelling around the world!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Weird, Wacky, Informative & some not so...Info on travelling around the world!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/38567-weird-wacky-informative-some-not-so-info-travelling-around-world.html)

Here I recollect some of the above facts that autoheads have encountered while driving around the world.

Following are the facts by one of my fren Tod who travelled around the world on...yeah you guessed it right...Land Rovers as part of a cause (drive around the world, odyssey)

Cheapest Gas: China $1.60/gallon. i.e roughly Rs.16/liter

Most Expensive Gas: Atacoma, Chile $8/gallon, i.e. roughly Rs.86/liter

Worst Place to run out of gas: 1. Atacoma Desert Chile 2. Kolyma Highway (road of Bones), Russia

Weirdest Filling Station: Cambodia, village kids selling petrol in Whisky Bottle.

Funniest Road Sign: Don't Gossip, Let him drive, India

Worst Drivers: China, Argentina, Bankok

Hottest Highway: 53 deg. Mojave Desert, USA

Coldest Highway: -50 Deg. Yakutka, Russia

Highest Motorable Road: Marsimik La, 18652 feet, India

Lowest Motorable Road: -505 feet, Turpan, China

Most Deserted Highway: Gun Barrell Highway, Australia

Worst Average/Worst Highway: 15 hours to cross 75 miles, Monywa to Kalewa, Burma

PS: Info provided above are their personal experience while driving around the world. (for more info visit odysseyshow.com)

That is nice collection. Must be really horrible to be stranded in a desert and no where to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 801211)

Im sure the middle east has cheaper prices. It used to be around Rs10 a litre in Dubai till not too long ago (Im not sure of the present status)

While this seems a nice effort to collate information for regular road-runners across the Globe, if such an information as this with relation to India is compiled, then it would be more than welcome..:)

I don't know the veracity of this info that was passed on to me by someone quite sometime back; the fuel price of Delhi is the cheapest amongst all Metros but at Mathura it is cheaper than Delhi because of the refinery. As I've never filled gas at Mathura, can't vouch for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 844131)
Im sure the middle east has cheaper prices. It used to be around Rs10 a litre in Dubai till not too long ago (Im not sure of the present status)

yeah! but they never passed through middle east due to conflicts at that time.

It would be nice to post india specific info.!!

Will try to compile from various post in travellogues..

PS: But we can make a rule of some kind that after posting the travellogue, we can ask member to compile a summary of his/her travel.

Quote:

The cheapest gas in the world is available in Venezuela at $0.19/gallon, approx Rs. 2/litre! Lets all us petrolheads move to Venezuela!
Another advantage of moving there: Most of the Miss Worlds and Miss Universes come from there! cheers:

Quote:

Weirdest Filling Station: Cambodia, village kids selling petrol in Whisky Bottle.

This is common everywhere in Goa!

Quote:

Worst Drivers: China, Argentina, Bankok

And not Indians??!

Quote:

Worst Average/Worst Highway: 15 hours to cross 75 miles, Monywa to Kalewa, Burma
)

Phew! Finally a competition for the NH17 road from Mangalore to Bangalore. Takes approximately 7 hours from Mangalore when the roads were good.. But thanks to the nonmotorable potholed highway today.. it takes 12hours. This road must come as the second Worst Average/Worst Highway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamaniac (Post 973496)
Phew! Finally a competition for the NH17 road from Mangalore to Bangalore. Takes approximately 7 hours from Mangalore when the roads were good.. But thanks to the nonmotorable potholed highway today.. it takes 12hours. This road must come as the second Worst Average/Worst Highway.

Also try driving from Delhi to Haridwar or from Indore to Gwalior for an experience of a lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamaniac (Post 973496)

Errr NH17 ?
I hope it's NH48, Between Bangalore & Mangalore
NH17 - is from kerala -Mangalore - Goa - Bombay

The present petrol price is AED 6.25/gallon in Dubai. So it comes to approx. Rs.20.96/lit

Quote:

Originally Posted by milindajp (Post 1342527)
The present petrol price is AED 6.25/gallon in Dubai. So it comes to approx. Rs.20.96/lit

So thats more expensive that fuel in China however the fuel price mentioned in china was from 2008.

Any Idea whats the current fuel price in China.