Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2008, 19:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

i was fine recently while going to gurudawara nada sahib from chandigarh to panchkula and i was stopped by the traffic police and they said i was overspeeding my speed was about 65km/hr
i was fine didn't argue much with guy was he was very rude

before leaving i generally asked him whats the limit on this road and he couldn't tell me

he didn't knew the speed limit why was he deployed their

Last edited by manikjeet : 24th April 2008 at 19:34.
Old 25th April 2008, 16:16   #17
BHPian

Traffic Offences and Penalties in India
Traffic Offences and Penalties in India - Indian Driving Schools
Old 30th April 2008, 00:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Bad

This is really bad. Whenever my bike was taken away, always I was offered Rs 50 deal without receipt and 100Rs if I wanted a receipt.
I ( whenever this situation arises ) go for 100.

I wonder how many raids have been there in front of Shopping complexes and malls or multiplexes. The traffic cops never seem to visit these places. In vadodara, at Sarabhai Circle there is super mall called Central.
Now you can see that mall from that circle ( actually distance is just 100 mtrs between mall and circle.

The cops will stand at circle and do what they want to. But will never attack the illegal and traffic jam creating parking just 100 mtrs away.
Old 13th May 2008, 15:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manziee_crusier View Post
I went today with my friends for lunch near ORR,Bangalore. Unfortunately I parked in no parking area. (This is the first time in my life I am getting fined. I am very gentle in road, follows all rules even if other break and always take care not to park in wrong place even if I have to take the pain)There was not board near by. The towing vehicle came. And stopped near my vehicle. I saw and ran towards them
They charged me 300 rs (100 rs for wrong parking and 300 for towing).I told him they did'nt did the towing then how can they charge me. That SI even won't know English (I don't know how he became SI (Airport police station)).My friends talked with in kannada and he didn’t agreed. And those guys where misbehaving and dis -respecting us. They are supposed to serve us!.I have noticed the number of the towing vehicle.

At last after lot of hungama they left. I couldn’t do any thing.
First the government is allowing so many hotels and shops to come with out any parking plan. Second how craps this people charge as what ever they want. He gave be a receipt. The funny part is that he gave me both parts (the receipt and counter file).I know that was fake one and money goes to this guys pocket.

Can we do some thing about such crap people? If I complaint will some thing happen. I know this money is shared by every body. So even if complain some thing will happen?

Please give your suggestions.How can i take forward ?Rather then money I am pissed of their attitude

I don't understand your attitude, when you know its a traffic violation why dont you just pay the fine.

In the US if you argue or back answer a cop who pulls you over, you can get arrested for not allowing a public servant from carrying out his duty.

If you feel that a particular mall has come up and does not have parking then just avoid it or complain to the mall or building owner about it.

Rememeber at the end of the day the traffic cop is just doing his duty. If he is taking a bribe it is not correct but in your case he gave you a challan.

If you do not agree with the traffic police, you can always exercise your option of going to the court which hears traffic redressals (I think it is mayo hall). I am not sure but I think that they will also impound your license and give it you after the courts verdict.

I was in a similar situation last week. I was on old madras road and I jumped a red light thinking it was a free left. I got stopped and so did 6 other vehicles before me. All of us had to pay a fine, people who cannot pay (drivers) have to pay the amount later as the challan is sent to the owner by mail. I could have argued about bad roads and and traffic light not being visible, but that is the elected goverements job to keep it working.
bharatbs is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2008, 16:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
I could have argued about bad roads and and traffic light not being visible, but that is the elected goverements job to keep it working.
There is something called the motor Vehicles act.
Cops have to challan if you violate that.
For example if there is no free left turn, there has to be a clearly visible sign mentioning that.
So tomorrow if you park where no sign prohibits parking, and cop fines you its okay as long as there is a receipt? Then this is a great way for police department to make money. Start challaning people who don't break rules. A challan receipt does not mean its right. It just means that the money is not going into the pocket of that particular officer.
As for the parent post.read his post again. He agreed to pay the no parking charge, but the cop charged him towing charges even though he did not tow his car.
How is that fair?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th May 2008 at 17:00.
Old 13th May 2008, 17:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That SI even won't know English (I don't know how he became SI (Airport police station)).My friends talked with in kannada and he didn’t agreed.
And you think you know English eh? . BTW, Police dont need to know English to be qualified for the job in any state, let alone Karnataka. Learn to speak passable Kannada (and English), if you want to communicate with the local folks.
Old 13th May 2008, 20:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
And you think you know English eh? . BTW, Police dont need to know English to be qualified for the job in any state, let alone Karnataka. Learn to speak passable Kannada (and English), if you want to communicate with the local folks.

Quite true, most Sub-Inspectors/Circle Inspectors have a tough time talking in English. My dad has had some luck though. He can't speak kannada,and he somehow or the other manages to communicate with these cops with a mix of English & Hindi. Works,most of the time.
Old 13th May 2008, 23:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is something called the motor Vehicles act.
Cops have to challan if you violate that.
For example if there is no free left turn, there has to be a clearly visible sign mentioning that.
So tomorrow if you park where no sign prohibits parking, and cop fines you its okay as long as there is a receipt? Then this is a great way for police department to make money. Start challaning people who don't break rules. A challan receipt does not mean its right. It just means that the money is not going into the pocket of that particular officer.
As for the parent post.read his post again. He agreed to pay the no parking charge, but the cop charged him towing charges even though he did not tow his car.
How is that fair?

I completely agree that cops should NOT fine you for no fault of yours but in this case it is mentioned that the car was parked in a no parking area.

I am not sure what the motor vehicles act says about towing but common sense... once an external tow vehicle is called, whether you use it or not you will still have to pay the tow charges.

On a lighter note : If cops continue to charge only 100 rs for parking in a no-parking area...more people will start making use of this, considering that its costs 50 rupees in some malls (Bangalore central, Manipal Centre) to park you car.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:14   #24
BHPian

Have you seen BMTC bus parked in flyover from Belandur towards Marthahalli.Tow them first they take half of the fly over all the time.The no parking board in service road are behind trees it is not at all visible.I won't want to break rules.
And I agreed to pay the fine also.I think that guys don't want me to pay fine but bribe.Since I was not ready he fined me heavily.
I main road has lot of vehicles parked.None is towed (Coz either they are mini-vans or BIG cars )
Old 25th June 2008, 14:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I went today with my friends for lunch near ORR,Bangalore. Unfortunately I parked in no parking area. (This is the first time in my life I am getting fined. I am very gentle in road, follows all rules even if other break and always take care not to park in wrong place even if I have to take the pain)There was not board near by. The towing vehicle came. And stopped near my vehicle. I saw and ran towards them
They charged me 300 rs (100 rs for wrong parking and 300 for towing).I told him they did'nt did the towing then how can they charge me. That SI even won't know English (I don't know how he became SI (Airport police station)).My friends talked with in kannada and he didn’t agreed. And those guys where misbehaving and dis -respecting us. They are supposed to serve us!.I have noticed the number of the towing vehicle.

At last after lot of hungama they left. I couldn’t do any thing.
First the government is allowing so many hotels and shops to come with out any parking plan. Second how craps this people charge as what ever they want. He gave be a receipt. The funny part is that he gave me both parts (the receipt and counter file).I know that was fake one and money goes to this guys pocket.

Can we do some thing about such crap people? If I complaint will some thing happen. I know this money is shared by every body. So even if complain some thing will happen?

Please give your suggestions.How can i take forward ?Rather then money I am pissed of their attitude
Submit a written complaint clearly mentioning the police officer's name and that of witnesses. Get an acknowledgment for the complaint.
Old 27th November 2012, 10:39   #26
BHPian

Mumbai Police fining everyone possible to meet monthly Quotas?

Dear Members,

This is one thing I have noticed very often in Mumbai and lately it is becoming even more frequent.

I have noticed that mumbai police usually accept a bribe when they catch a traffic offense. They usually stay hidden at signals where there is no free left turn, behind trees and wait for the offense to occur after which the matter is settled through palm greasing.

Lately I have observed that group of police men along with the RTO officer start stopping cars at major junction on the pretext of checking and look for all possible means to fine the driver. No they are not interested in bribes but a challan i.e official fine. The RTO officer take the cash on the spot and issues a challan and license is returned.

During these drives I have noticed all the challans issued are of same amount INR 100/- . None of the officers are interested in bribes.

Another thing I have noticed is this drive usually starts after the 25th of the month, i.e. month end.

This makes me wonder are the officers doing this drive to meet their monthly quota of official fines?

Are the officers under pressure to show certain amount of revenue from fines?

Milan subway junction at SV road, santacruz is notorious for such checks where I have been caught 3 times and for any offense they charge INR 100. They usually pull over 4 to 5 cars every time signal turns green.

Has anyone else experienced this? Please share!
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 10:56   #27
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Police fining everyone possible to meet monthly Quotas?

Yes, I have been a 'victim' of the same monthly quota thing.

Incident happened in the last week of August. Maybe 26th or 27th I think.
I had to drop my B-I-L at the intl. Airport and while taking a left turn, a traffic police jumps out from behind the tree and fines me Rs/100/- for jumping the signal!

Quitely paid the fine and moved out of there as my car also had tints at that time! Did not want to pay another Rs.100/- for it, and anyways, we were getting late.

Similar thing I have noticed in PCMC region as well. Have been fined Rs.100/- for tints on the side glasses. After which I had all the tints removed. :( Again, this had happened in the last week of September month. Around 28th or 29th, if my memory serves me right.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 10:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I have experienced this in Hyderabad (lived there for 2 years) and in Pune (living for 5 years). (and for the exact same Rs 100)

But quite frankly if everything is in place - and you didn't break any rules - there is no way that the traffic police can charge you for anything.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 11:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Yes, I have experienced this in Hyderabad (lived there for 2 years) and in Pune (living for 5 years). (and for the exact same Rs 100)

But quite frankly if everything is in place - and you didn't break any rules - there is no way that the traffic police can charge you for anything.
Oh I felt the same, had PUC, License, no jumping lights, no tints, seat belts etc. RTO say you were cutting lanes how on earth do I prove I was not?

Wasted 15 mins explaining him but in the end had to pay.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2012 at 13:58.
alpha1 is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks