Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 14:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Another instance of extortion by cops

Most of the times, it is the desperate cop below the rank of SI who does these things. It is better to remain calm and speak softly without hurting his ego further. Also, important thing to keep in mind here is no cop below the rank of SI can fine you. Only SIs and above are empowered to slap a fine, so understand this and handle the situation differently.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 14:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
His tone changed and he said to me, "Get Lost!"
Mind sharing what was your response to this ?

It's a norm and people get away scott-free. For instance, the cabbies who spend half their life on the phone/wheel, IMO would have never ever been fined for this reason.

OT, reminds me of a rule in the USA - Denver to be precise. You can talk on the phone but cannot TEXT. Makes some sense.

How do you get away from a situation like this and trying to prove your innocence? I can't think of any other than the way you handled the situation.
Old 5th February 2013, 14:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Most of the times, it is the desperate cop below the rank of SI who does these things. It is better to remain calm and speak softly without hurting his ego further. Also, important thing to keep in mind here is no cop below the rank of SI can fine you. Only SIs and above are empowered to slap a fine, so understand this and handle the situation differently.
Thank you esteem_lover. I will surely keep that in mind. And I had spoken to him softly, in a normal tone. No hard words whatsoever, went to him from my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Mind sharing what was your response to this ?
I just shrugged, and said in a ironical tone, "thank you so much dear sir", gave a vicious smile to myself and fled Then I thanked God of not having landed myself into any unnecessary trouble

Last edited by RevvMusic : 5th February 2013 at 14:34.
Old 5th February 2013, 14:34   #49
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I would agree with esteem_lover.

Laws are 'supposed' to be for the benefit of the common man, but many times, during the drafting process they get twisted out of shape.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to site a reference for this, but my understanding of the "mobile law" is as follows:

1. You can not take/make a call on your mobile if your engine is running.
2. You can not take the call from the driver's seat at all. (Not very sure about this).
3. If you are driving the vehicle, your mobile should be switched off.
4. Its not about "taking" or "making" a call. The law applies when you send/read a SMS or play a game or operate the mobile in ANY POSSIBLE way. So technically if you even press menu on the mobile, you can be charged.

As you can see, there are many ways in which you can be proven guilty if somebody applies the law by the word. Best way is to avoid getting into these situations OR handle them amicably if you are stopped.

Last edited by SDP : 5th February 2013 at 14:37.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 14:34   #50
BHPian

I am not sure, but dosent our rule book says "All mobile phones must be switched off when only driver is present in the car"?

Regards,
Old 5th February 2013, 14:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
2. You can not take the call from the driver's seat at all. (Not very sure about this).
4. Its not about "taking" or "making" a call. The law applies when you send/read a text or play a game or operate the mobile in ANY POSSIBLE way. So technically if you even press menu on the mobile, you can be charged.
If the above is cent per cent true, then it's really news for me. Thanks so much for throwing light on the above points. I would definitely keep that in mind
And I fully understand the consequences of arguing with these cops. Don't think I will repeat that again

Last edited by RevvMusic : 5th February 2013 at 14:41.
Old 6th February 2013, 01:49   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Unfortunately, I won't be able to site a reference for this, but my understanding of the "mobile law" is as follows:

4. Its not about "taking" or "making" a call. The law applies when you send/read a SMS or play a game or operate the mobile in ANY POSSIBLE way. So technically if you even press menu on the mobile, you can be charged.
I don't think the law says that you have to switch off the cell phone if driver is the only person in the car. If that is the rule, I don't have any words here.

OT: here in USA, NONE of the states has All Cell Phones Use Ban rule for Adults. Some states (approximately 10 states) have rule that the driver can not use Hand Held Phone while driving but they still can use Bluetooth or Hands free while driving.

Some states have All Cell Phone Use Ban for drivers under 17 and/or School bus drivers.
Old 6th February 2013, 07:19   #53
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Unfair Traffic Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
I don't think the law says that you have to switch off the cell phone if driver is the only person in the car. If that is the rule, I don't have any words here.

OT: here in USA, NONE of the states has All Cell Phones Use Ban rule for Adults. Some states (approximately 10 states) have rule that the driver can not use Hand Held Phone while driving but they still can use Bluetooth or Hands free while driving.

Some states have All Cell Phone Use Ban for drivers under 17 and/or School bus drivers.
I understand that most of the US state laws regarding the use of cell phones are reasonable. Unfortunately that's not the case in India. As mentioned in my post, here laws get twisted out of shape (from their original intentions) during drafting process and get into completely unrecognizable shape when they get implemented.

What I have sited (without reference) is what I have heard from a traffic police, while I got pulled over for something else and got into a 5 min chat with the gentleman (after getting a challan). Coming directly from the "implementors", there is a good probability of the information being correct.

I tried looking it up in the Motor Vehicles Act (MVA), but that document is written in such a bad legal language that one needs to read an entire paragraph multiple times before I could understood a one sentence worth. Could not find the relevant section r amendment and I gave up. Have plans of going through it sometime in future.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:54   #54
BHPian

I was recently returning to my home from a friend's place 500mtrs away in H.S.R layout.

The cops jump into the way from the bushes (these were not traffic police). Stop a couple of bikes. This is a road inside the colony without any signals or whatsoever. This was a straight road.

I asked him why had he stopped me when I have broken no rules.
His Answer "No problem sir", took out a camera, clicked my pic and let me go.

I did not know how to react. Was happy he did not ask for any kind of fine, but thinking why did he click my photo and let me go????
Old 7th February 2013, 18:17   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I was recently returning to my home from a friend's place 500mtrs away in H.S.R layout.

The cops jump into the way from the bushes (these were not traffic police). Stop a couple of bikes. This is a road inside the colony without any signals or whatsoever. This was a straight road.

I asked him why had he stopped me when I have broken no rules.
His Answer "No problem sir", took out a camera, clicked my pic and let me go.

I did not know how to react. Was happy he did not ask for any kind of fine, but thinking why did he click my photo and let me go????
As far as i know, they click the pics when you have broken some rule,The challan will be sent to the registered address of the vehicle, You can login to the Bangalore traffic police website and check the details.
Old 8th February 2013, 18:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
As far as i know, they click the pics when you have broken some rule,The challan will be sent to the registered address of the vehicle, You can login to the Bangalore traffic police website and check the details.
There is no other rule to break. I was wearing my helmet. That road is inside the colony, a very narrow lane in front of row houses.

For offences, they click the number plate's pic, but this cop clicked the whole image. Like a photographer does. He was not concentrating on the number plates.
Old 8th February 2013, 18:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
There is no other rule to break. I was wearing my helmet. That road is inside the colony, a very narrow lane in front of row houses.

For offences, they click the number plate's pic, but this cop clicked the whole image. Like a photographer does. He was not concentrating on the number plates.
Why dont you check it here?

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...nedetails.aspx
Old 10th February 2013, 16:42   #58
BHPian

Re: Greedy Traffic cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolabhi View Post
I really wonder how do we stop this?These traffic cops are simply looting common public! If i cross a signal when its green but the cop claims it was yellow how do i prove that i am right? probably we need front cameras now instead of rear view camera!
Prayer answered!
Read this: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18424078.cms
Old 10th February 2013, 21:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Maybe he likes to have your photo in his family album. Seriously, why did you allow him to do that ? You could have raised your hand and blocked your face.
Old 12th February 2013, 14:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Maybe he likes to have your photo in his family album. Seriously, why did you allow him to do that ? You could have raised your hand and blocked your face.
Face was covered with my helmet. The pillion hid himself behind me

I actually did not know how to react. Was rather concentrating of getting out of the scene ASAP. Somehow, the 'khakhi wardi' scares me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks