Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Bangalore traffic cops: Whats with the sudden change?

Traffic police is on adrenaline boost. Over the last week I have been seeing cops catching offenders at almost every traffic junction. Today, the record was broken with over a dozen places on my way to office where cops were busy handing out fine receipts. And there was one with speed cameras on airport road (well to be fair to the cops the commando hospital stretch is where everyone is on the pedal!)

Either some kind of financial target to be met, or is it a first step of getting its act together? I really hope so.

Another welcome change is that the reflective paint is back on some roads and not to mention, road humps.

Recently the dcp of bangalore east was on radio and mentioned that 400 crores have been sanctioned for the btrac program (indirectly means, cops are now wealthier than ever). He said, police can now give no excuse for lack of funds. One very important point he made was about citizens helping out with offenders. He said if one can provide photo of any offender, the police will fine them and use the photo as evidence. Eg: bikers riding on footpath etc. Honestly, I think it can make the wait in traffic lights a bit more interesting
Old 29th April 2008, 12:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Traffic police is on adrenaline boost. Over the last week I have been seeing cops catching offenders at almost every traffic junction. Today, the record was broken with over a dozen places on my way to office where cops were busy handing out fine receipts. And there was one with speed cameras on airport road (well to be fair to the cops the commando hospital stretch is where everyone is on the pedal!)

Either some kind of financial target to be met, or is it a first step of getting its act together? I really hope so.

Another welcome change is that the reflective paint is back on some roads and not to mention, road humps.

Recently the dcp of bangalore east was on radio and mentioned that 400 crores have been sanctioned for the btrac program (indirectly means, cops are now wealthier than ever). He said, police can now give no excuse for lack of funds. One very important point he made was about citizens helping out with offenders. He said if one can provide photo of any offender, the police will fine them and use the photo as evidence. Eg: bikers riding on footpath etc. Honestly, I think it can make the wait in traffic lights a bit more interesting
I am not sure if its coincidence. But I have seen more such incidents during the last few days of every month. May be they are running out of money in the last days
Old 29th April 2008, 12:04   #3
BHPian

Whoa !! thats great news, by what mode can we send the snaps to DCP my hands are hitching. i have loads of snaps on my dopod. do let me know. i personally see cops having regular haddha at sadashivnagar police station after 10pm.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I am not sure if its coincidence. But I have seen more such incidents during the last few days of every month. May be they are running out of money in the last days
He he he, isn't that common everywhere ?
Old 29th April 2008, 12:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

You are absolutely right kvish. I have also been noticing a lot of policemen around.Infact I never knew there were so many policemen in bangalore ..hee hee
The months of march and april are usually the times when one can get to see this kind of activity. I guess its got something to do with meeting a minimum number of targets for challans.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Hmm, what's the name of this DCP?
Old 29th April 2008, 12:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, traffic cops are in action these days, last week at the junction near SAP on ITPL Road, they caught me talking on mobile (normally I don't take calls while driving but this one I had to), and to my bad luck they got me in the act, result: wallet lighter by Rs.400/- :(
Old 29th April 2008, 12:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Yes, traffic cops are in action these days, last week at the junction near SAP on ITPL Road, they caught me talking on mobile (normally I don't take calls while driving but this one I had to), and to my bad luck they got me in the act, result: wallet lighter by Rs.400/- :(
Very sad, i see atleast more than a dozen of them doing the same while driving every day.

Last edited by praJEEP : 29th April 2008 at 12:38.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

This has been a daily affair for the last month or so. I leave office only by 9pm to beat the traffic in the city and guess what ? Even at 10pm cops are confiscating vehicles for traffic violations.
At 11pm also the signals aren't switched off(atleast in the route I travel) and they do routine checks on a daily basis.

To quote an instance our D-bhpian Vidyuth had a recent experience with the cops in town which was pretty promising that the cops are willing to lend a helping hand.

Samurai I think his name is Saleem and his email address is dcptrafficeast@gmail.com .
Old 29th April 2008, 12:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

The good thing is I see they are now catching actual violations rather than just picking up people for fancy numberplate's or FFE etc. Sad thing is it is mostly 2 wheelers that get stopped. Though Iv noticed more and more cars being pulled up too.

Also unauthorized vehicles carrying goods or overloaded minivans cannot escape

Few things that need to be tackled are :

Callcentre / Cabbies reckless driving
Maxi Cabs (passenger)
People cutting signals <--- ugh
Old 29th April 2008, 12:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Samurai I think his name is Saleem and his email address is dcptrafficeast@gmail.com .
Thanks riju, looks like their website is not updated.

http://www.bcp.gov.in/english/organi...ficpolice.html
Old 29th April 2008, 12:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

I was also challaned for not having a pollution cert (300 bucks) but then that is my fault and I agree I should have renewed it. A couple of days ago the cops stopped a Passat (being driven by the driver and the owner was also sitting at the back). Was the first time in Bangalore I saw a high end car being asked to pull over.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:48   #13
BHPian

Yes the cops are on their toes which is the way they should be. I was challened for my HIDs which were 'blue' as claimed by the inspector. I was going to discuss it further with him but when i saw him entering the details in his blackberry and take a receipt through an IR enabled printer, I just could not argue!! This was high tech and worth the challan.
Old 29th April 2008, 13:04   #14
BHPian

Generally we see a lot of cops during month ends, reasons they have to achieve their personal and professional targets for the month.

I hope they have changed now and patrol the streets through the month at least it will help regulating the traffic and discipline the drivers.
Old 29th April 2008, 13:48   #15
BHPian

I feel the increase in presence (all kind of police, traffic and others) is all because of the comming elections. Last weekend (Fri) on my way to kerala, i saw nakabandhi's (check points) manned by police even at 2am, this was close to Mysore, on one of those less used, good roads.

Usually these guys wind up by 1-1.30am

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks