Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 16:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

My indica stolen in broad daylight: What can I do ?

Yesterday, my sister had taken the Indica to Koramangala I block for her work (and she does that everyday) at 2:30 pm. When she came out at 8:30 pm, the car was missing!!!! Apparently people saw the car till 4:00 pm and no one saw the car at 6:00 pm so it was stolen between 4:00 and 6:00.

Went to cops yesterday, they made note of my complaint (not formally) and asked me to come back today. Went there today morning and lodged the formal complaint. Will go at 6:00 pm to collect FIR and then will call the insurance guys.

What bothers me is that car was stolen in broad daylight from a busy road. There were several other cars parked on road but they are all around. Wonder why would anyone steal indica, of all cars ??????

We recently had a new driver who has gone on vacation since Saturday and hasn't come back yet. Logically, I should suspect him but I don't know. I am quite confused about that.

The cops are assuring me that they would be able to trace the car. I hope they do that. In case they aren't able to do that, any suggestions on what I can do, other than file an FIR with Police and register a claim with Insurance ?
Old 30th April 2008, 16:38   #2
BHPian

Its really shocking to hear theft in Bangalore from that busy area. Did your car have a security system?

Nirmal
Old 30th April 2008, 16:42   #3
BHPian

Having a hunch. Are you sure its not towed away by traffic guys ? B'cos stealing a car from a prominent locality is like "Gone in 60 seconds". Did you keep the insurance guys informed ?
Old 30th April 2008, 16:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

I came to know about this during our lunch discussion today afternoon. I am sorry to hear this. Hope you get your car back.

I was just wondering how the police are so confident that they can trace your car. Is there a standard place where certain things like changing number plates, changing chassis markings, etc are done?

Can you trace your driver's whereabouts now? Do you have any contact numbers of any of his acquaintances?
Old 30th April 2008, 17:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey man, that's shocking & I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope the car is traced quickly before it is damaged or otherwise tampered with
Old 30th April 2008, 17:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Its really shocking to hear theft in Bangalore from that busy area. Did your car have a security system?
yes, it did. Last month, the sound disappeared from security system. I thought that when I go for the next service, I will get this sorted out. Too late, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1
Having a hunch. Are you sure its not towed away by traffic guys ?
I checked with them yesterday night itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Can you trace your driver's whereabouts now? Do you have any contact numbers of any of his acquaintances?
I have his cell phone number and he picked up my call yesterday. Lets see when he shows up.
Old 30th April 2008, 17:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Car thefts of late has been curbed drastically and you rarely get to hear such incidents ( especially in cities of southern states).

Sorry to hear about your incident. Hope you get it back quickly.
Old 30th April 2008, 17:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this. Even if you get your car, the most of the parts might have disappeared by that time. Was it a new car? Did your sis lock the car? Were any windows open, by chance? Was there any high end accessories used? I feel the thief might have taken the car just to have a ride outside the city and will leave the car in some place after return. (I sincerely hope this happens)
Old 30th April 2008, 17:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I was just wondering how the police are so confident that they can trace your car.
Maybe its just a standard reply. If the cops admit that its tough to trace the car then its their credibility at stake (?). Koramangala I Block (I am assuming this is near the BDA complex?) is a very busy area with lot of activity around.

Hondadude - I hope you are able to get the car back with zero or in worst case scenario with minimal damages.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th April 2008 at 17:38.
Old 30th April 2008, 17:44   #10
BHPian

I wonder if it an off topic question, but if the car is found with damages, will insurance cover them? Because they generally say "damage when being driven by a qualified driver ..."

Kousik
Old 30th April 2008, 17:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

WOW! A auto theft in a busy area! Guess no place is safe.

But, say, as Snaronikar asked, did your sis leave the car unlocked? Or a window open?

But whatever said and done, the vehicle is missing and that itself is bad!

I do hope that you get it back soon!

And, not that its worth the same - way back when I was in high school, my TVS 50 was stolen from the parking lot of the school where I had gone to participate in a school function. Police & FIR and investigation later we were given a rusted, dead, good for nothing replacement by the Police. The judge himself, when the proceeding were taking place, point this out by saying that he is not convinced that this is the same vehicle (ours was a 1yr old one) but never the less, gave us possession!
Old 30th April 2008, 19:06   #12
BHPian

Dayyum, sorry to hear about the theft. If the cops find your car within a handful of days, its fine. Any longer and you'd wish they had not found it in the first place (abuse, missing parts etc.).

Quote:
Wonder why would anyone steal indica, of all cars ??????

We recently had a new driver who has gone on vacation since Saturday and hasn't come back yet. Logically, I should suspect him but I don't know. I am quite confused about that.
Indicas are popular in the used car market, as they can be put to immediate duty in tourist / commercial usage. Your driver sounds like the usual suspect, but lets give him the benefit of doubt for now. Try getting in touch with him and / or have the cops call him in for questioning. If the car got flicked so easily in a crowded location, that means there was not any fiddling with the locking mechanism. A duplicate key could have been used.
Old 30th April 2008, 19:22   #13
BANNED

Sorry to hear about this man. I see a lot of people hiring drivers but are they taking care to to check their history, origin and previous work reference before entrusting the vehicle to them?
Old 30th April 2008, 19:26   #14
Team-BHP Support

But a valet at a car park can as easily duplicate a key as a hired driver.
Old 30th April 2008, 20:02   #15
BHPian

Sorry to hear about it dude!

I guess it might be someone who was able to drive it away without any problems so first and foremost suspicion goes on the driver itself but can always be otherwise.

Did you try talking to the nearby shop keepers? Pan wallahs or someone? May be you could get a clue as people around usually get used to seeing a car everyday parked at the same location and tend to know the faces of people who drive them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks