Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:07   #1
BHPian

Pleasure Trip turned Horror

This was a very disgusting incident that happened and the hardships faced later were mega. I can also say that I was very lucky.

Here is my saga:
My Uncle, Aunty and 3 of my friends (one was a girl) planned a trip to Malai Mahadeshwara Hills, which is about 200 KMS from Bangalore. We planned to stay overnight at the hills, complete the darshan next day and return by evening. The route to be taken was Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Mahadeshwara Hills.

So, on a bright sunny afternoon we set out, hoping to reach the hills by dinner time. One of my friends was driving the car. 3 in the front and 3 at the back, was how we were distributed. The drive was slow and bumpy since the roads were in a pathetic condition. But we were enjoying every minute of it. We reached Kollegal at around 5 P.M. The car was good, no problem no hiccups. We stopped there for a few minutes to buy some snacks and water.
From there I took the wheel not knowing what lay ahead for us.

2 of my friends were sitting in the front with me, and the other friend, Uncle, Aunty were at the back. On that particular day I was very overconfident about my driving skills. I am always careful when I take new routes, but not that day. I was driving very fast from the moment I took the wheel. No one said anything, maybe since it was my car and, I had good driving experience, maybe they were confident about my driving.

Soon it was dark and I switched ON the headlights and also the fog lights. Lighting was average. We passed the big arch at the bottom of the hills, which meant that we were entering the hilly forest area.

I saw the first hairpin bend signboard and then took the turn rally style and it was perfect. My friends started appreciating me and I was smiling. Then I shifted from 2nd gear to 3rd. I saw a straight stretch ahead and accelerated close to 80km/h in 3rd and was about to shift to the 4th gear, suddenly I saw another road to my right, it was a curve. I got confused for a second, and without applying brakes, in 3rd gear, taking my foot off the accelerator, I went for the curve.

I turned the steering wheel full flow to the right. Now, I was shocked, as it was a hairpin bend!! It was too late, I couldn’t make it and the car moved towards the middle of both the roads, towards the side wall! At this point I braked hard, but no use. I heard a loud thud as the car hit the side wall (nose first) and went over it. All this happened in a few seconds and there was very less time to think, believe me.

The car was in a shocking downward inclination (below), about 2-3 meters from the road. (It was like we had fallen into a ditch or something.) The car was not moving though. Since the headlights were still working, I could see treetops in front of me. The engine was idling with a “clank”, “clank” sound, and I suddenly realized that we need to get out of the car immediately.

My friends in the front knew what had just happened, but the poor chaps in the rear still had no idea as to what had happened. (Maybe they were snoozing.) I told everyone to get out quickly and told them not to make any hasty movements, as it might set the car rolling.

To be continued...(It's pretty lengthy.)
Dolphin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know about your tale. Eager to know further.

It was indeed stupid of you to do 80kmph in the hilly road with 3 people in front. Pray your stars that you live to tell the tale.

Hopefully you are careful in future.(Lets keep Rallys for dedicated tracks only)
Abhi
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

You took the words out of my mouth and not to forget he was driving in the darkness of night.

You are damn lucky to get out of this safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Sad to know about your tale. Eager to know further.

It was indeed stupid of you to do 80kmph in the hilly road with 3 people in front. Pray your stars that you live to tell the tale.

Hopefully you are careful in future.(Lets keep Rallys for dedicated tracks only)
Abhi
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:23   #4
BHPian

Really stupid of you to experiment with ur driving skills especially on hilly roads and that too at night....Hope you and the other members in your car are doing fine !!
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is why we have track days.
So that, people don't have to drive "Rally shtyle" on public roads.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its a bad dream right?

3 in front? Which car?

Not the right time to say but, nice writeup.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thank God you are safe! Let this be an eye opener to all those who read this thread.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Lucky person. 80kmph on a hill that too in dark...
i am also wondering, 3 in the front?? what car...
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

You should be thankful to stars for letting you in-position to write this write up !!

OT: I strictly hate rash drivers on highway and hilly regions.

Anxiously waiting for the "To be continued" part....
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Was everyone wearing seatbelts?

OT: Would airbags deploy in such a situation?
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thats very irresponsible behaviour especially when you have the responsibility of 5 other lives on you. What car were you driving with three in front? I dont think anything except maybe a Fiat or Amby can do that. Hope everyone is safe and sound. Please do not drive rash and avoid night driving on such roads.

If at all you want to push the car, go to the track days which are organised frequently. Dont try your own adventures putting other's lives at risk
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:01   #12
BHPian

sounds like a night mare.
you are lucky enough to get out of that without any damage (assuming no major damage ). whcih car is it by the way.

drive safe .
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:02   #13
BHPian

phew...thats really scary & close. What car is this, with 3 in the front? Hope all are safe.

But how many of us can actually blame him for the stunts in an isolated forest road, even though its highly risky & dangerous?
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

3 people in the front (and all adults!) - so seat belt out of the question!!!

Night time - ghat section - 80kmph and over confidence : Dolphin, glad all of you made it out there alive and here to write about it!

Please be more careful in future.

Looking forward to the whole story
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

that pretty scary.
80 KMPH on the hills at night. Thats a receipe for disaster. Anyways nothing can be done about it now.
What about the others Is everyone safe?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks