Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2008, 23:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My First major accident - In the U.S. and I wasn't driving

As the thread title states, this was the first big accident I have ever been involved in. In all of the 18 years in Mumbai, the worse accident that even happened while I was in the car was a fender bender and some instances of bumpers and fenders getting scratched.
This one however was BAD! I am pretty lucky to get out alive.

It took place just over a week ago. Me, and my 2 friends were going to the Boston airport to catch a flight.
The car was pretty loaded, with 4 bags, a box, and a laundry bag and i had to squeeze myself into the back. I was sharing the back seat with a bag, a box and the laundry bag and my friend was driving as it was his car.

The car in question was a 2007 Honda Accord 2.4, the EX variant with 6 Airbags.

We were on the I-20, travelling at around 60-65, the same speed as the traffic, on the extreme right lane.
We were following a Blue SUV, who suddenly braked hard and forced us to do the same. However, we knew we were going to hit it and moved into the breakdown lane on the right.
Before we knew it, the SUV also moved into the breakdown lane, hitting our car into the divider, from which it rebounded and hit another Suv, a Lexus LX470 and hit the guardrail again before coming to a stop.

We all were clueless and it took a few seconds to figure out what happened.
We realized that everyone was ok and tried getting out.
However, all our doors were jammed so we had to climb out of the windows.

When I got out (which took some time due to the lack of space and my size), I looked at the car and we all were amazed to have gotten out alive.

My friend who was in the front was looking for his lighter which fell down and just as he managed to put his seat belt on, the car crashed.
Me on the other hand, was lucky. My head hit the window, and the box next to me and i got a few bumps. However, if the airbag went off, I wouldn't have been alive today as I literally had no space to move.

The cops came pretty fast and for some stupid reason, fined my friend $120 for using the breakdown lane, which i thought was stupid as it was an emergency and that is the purpose of the lane.
Also, the report he filed put the blame on my friend who was driving even though it wasnt his fault.

Here are the pics of the car.
It is presently in the scrapyard and has been claimed as a total loss. My friends insurancfe is going up by a $1000-3000 a year.
However, he is looking at the bright side and I am convincing him for the new 2008 Accord V6, which he has fallen in love with after I showed it to him.
Attached Thumbnails
My First major accident - In the U.S. and I wasn't driving-mike-driver-side-view.jpg  

My First major accident - In the U.S. and I wasn't driving-mike-front-drivers-side.jpg  

My First major accident - In the U.S. and I wasn't driving-mike-front-passenger-side-closeup.jpg  

My First major accident - In the U.S. and I wasn't driving-mike-front-passenger-side.jpg  

My First major accident - In the U.S. and I wasn't driving-mike-passenger-rear.jpg  

My First major accident - In the U.S. and I wasn't driving-mike-passenger-side-view.jpg  

My First major accident - In the U.S. and I wasn't driving-mike-rear-passenger-side.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2008, 23:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

That's a pretty narrow escape. Good thing that everyone was relatively unhurt. It could easily have been much more damage from SUV hitting the Accord (probably speeds had slowed considerably below 60mph, so the impact was reduced ...)
Old 23rd May 2008, 23:38   #3
BHPian

Man, it looks pretty bad. Good to know that you and your friend are safe.

I guess the car pretty much took the impact correctly and only exterior damage can be seen through the pictures.

Hope everything is fine and you take car man.
Old 23rd May 2008, 23:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

First of all, its nice to see you come out of this incidence without major injuries.

bad that US police blamed your friend for accident. Hope he comes out clear and soon.

Next time take care that you dont carry luggage in passenger compartment. It is nothing but missile. Even a mobile when hit at speed on head can be dangerous.

The person in the rear should ALWAYS wear a seatbelt because if he doesnt wear one and an accident occurs then he will be be flown to hit front passenger seat and the front passenger will be crushed by the load of rear passenger and his own.
Old 24th May 2008, 00:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the report he filed put the blame on my friend who was driving even though it wasnt his fault.
You were behind the blue SUV. The onus of keeping safe distance is on you - hence the 'at fault' report.

Thank god you came out unscathed. There have been so many instances of rear passengers getting thrown out of the car as they were not wearing seat belts.

Last edited by mohit : 24th May 2008 at 00:38.
Old 24th May 2008, 00:23   #6
HKP
BHPian

scary

Hi

I still don't understand why the cops thought the accident has to be charged onto your friend. Anyways, insurance will go over the top. My friend changed to Allstate from geiko and got a better deal. May be he can change the provider and try.

Good that none of you got hurt.

Have a nice and Safe long weekend.

\\hkp
Old 24th May 2008, 00:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good to know all of you came out safe and sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
You were behind the blue SUV. The onus of keeping safe distance is on you - hence the 'at fault' report...
True. The vehicle behind has to maintain a safe 'braking' distance.
Old 24th May 2008, 02:43   #8
BHPian

Good to know that you are Safe.
Fine for using the breakdown lane in this kind of scenario was a bit too much.
Old 24th May 2008, 04:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Safe and lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
You were behind the blue SUV. The onus of keeping safe distance is on you - hence the 'at fault' report.
"Failure to keep an assured safe distance" it is called. In a collision of this type it is pretty much a certainty that the guy behind will be held legally accountable in North America.

I have to tell you from the pictures I do not see that much damage. The SITUATION was certainly life threatening but this damage indicates that the COLLISION was not all that intense. It easily could have been. Boston's drivers are particularly aggressive and rude especially around the airport. Many travelers have commented on it. Well, you are safe and lucky, two good things.
Old 24th May 2008, 06:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just curious, were you not wearing seat belts? If you were, then how would airbags have put you at risk?

All said, car seems to have taken minimum battering considering it got bounced around by SUVs and the guard rail! Imagine an SX4 taking that battering
Old 24th May 2008, 08:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that you came out safe.
Btw, did you managed to catch the flight on time?

Yes. People behind should maintain a safe distance as per law in NA.
I wish we had it here too. It would solve a lot of porblems.
Old 24th May 2008, 11:34   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lambo,

Thank God you & your friends escaped without serious injury, freeway accidents are risky simply because of the speed involved.

Boston has amongst the worst roads and traffic manners in the States. However, the right most lane is the worst to use, UNLESS you intend to take the next exit. There are too many idiots who sverve right at the last minute for their exit, and an equal many who join the freeway with disregard to right-of-way rules.

You mention that the doors were jammed? I am surprised....were all the doors jammed?

Quote:

My friend who was in the front was looking for his lighter which fell down and just as he managed to put his seat belt on, the car crashed.
I have a feeling this would have affected his reaction time. Why did the blue SUV brake all of a sudden?
Old 24th May 2008, 13:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

That's scary! Good to know that everyone is safe.
Old 24th May 2008, 14:18   #14
BHPian

Thank heavens nothing happened to anyone in the incident.

1. I do not see too much of damage to the car, so why was it claimed as total loss? Has the engine taken a hit?? The door and the other panels can replaced right?

2. Why did the blue SUV brake all of a sudden? What happened to the two SUVs?
Old 24th May 2008, 17:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good to have come out of such bad experience, the damage as I can see in the pictures was mostly on the sides.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks