Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 18:01   #1
BHPian

Self Defense Materials

Few weeks back, one of my friend has been abused by another road user in our B Bangalore road for none of his mistake.

This incident has made me to think how one can defend himself/herself during such incidents

Read in this following post there is a suggestion to have Pepper spray in the car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post796610

Please post here your suggestions of such materials and where do you get those.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:16   #2
BANNED

Also remember that any weapon that one carries on self can be used against him which could turn the tables in a brawl.

If one is not good enough with his hands to protect him then he won't be good enough with any weapon if the other person is good with his hands. (Guns are excused though).
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2008, 19:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

I will ONLY suggest the pepper spray, nothing else.
Old 28th May 2008, 19:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have read the complete thread you gave link to.

Few self defense techniques :
1) carry some weapon with you. Dont use it untill things get extreme.
2) If possible have a gun and this is the best weapon one can have.

Pepper will be used on you if there are more than one person on the opposite front.

The best self defense is "Prevention is better than cure:"
I will need a surgery in left knee because of a girl driving NHC like mad.
Now few prevention techniques:
1) dont ever stare at someone.
2) Dont argue with anyone to a huge extent. Saying sorry wont kill you and will prevent ( in most cases ) further trouble.
3) Never argue with a lady driver. Those who would usually pass bad comments on ladies will become their brothers in these cases and hit you.

OT: In the above mentioned thread, they had fights for language, but things wont go bad beyond beating. Here we have communal riots within no time.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2008, 19:20   #5
BHPian

Patience
Silence
Presence of mind
Pepper spray
..in that order

Regards,
amohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2008, 19:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

You have it reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Few self defense techniques :
1) carry some weapon with you. Dont use it untill things get extreme.
2) If possible have a gun and this is the best weapon one can have.
Carrying weapons is not a technique, they just show deadly intent from your side.

Quote:
Pepper will be used on you if there are more than one person on the opposite front.
Pepper spray can be used on mulitple people and can be used to keep attackers at bay. Mainly, pepper spray doesn't show deadly intent, it is purely self defence.
Old 28th May 2008, 19:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Where ?

Where do we get pepper spray in Bangalore?
Old 28th May 2008, 19:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned somewhere else on this forum., best way is to learn some martial art.

That gives you patience to ignore these irritants.
Old 28th May 2008, 19:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You have it reverse.

Carrying weapons is not a technique, they just show deadly intent from your side.

Pepper spray can be used on mulitple people and can be used to keep attackers at bay. Mainly, pepper spray doesn't show deadly intent, it is purely self defence.
If you are attacked in deadly fashion, then you will have to show that you are also know some deadly fashion.
I forgot to mention that Gun should be used only under very serious conditions. And they do get serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
As mentioned somewhere else on this forum., best way is to learn some martial art.

That gives you patience to ignore these irritants.
Martial art is fine if someone is to figth with one person . My friend coming home on bike from station was thrashed up by two persons only because he slowed to let some handicapped cross the road. He is 6'3" 100kgs and is black belt in Karate ( he has also participated in international events, recently in Germany ) very well.
Old 28th May 2008, 20:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Martial art is fine if someone is to figth with one person . My friend coming home on bike from station was thrashed up by two persons only because he slowed to let some handicapped cross the road. He is 6'3" 100kgs and is black belt in Karate ( he has also participated in international events, recently in Germany ) very well.

I though Karate black belt would be able to handle 2 guys.

Anyway, point was quite a few incidents are due to road rage and patience (required to master martial arts) helps in controlling that to some extent.
Old 28th May 2008, 20:23   #11
BHPian

6ft3 100kgs and a black belt.- Should be able to take on 2 guys easily.

Carrying a gun is not an option IMO.
Old 28th May 2008, 20:26   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are attacked in deadly fashion, then you will have to show that you are also know some deadly fashion.
Deadly fashion? And then what, spend rest of your life in prison? Road rage fights don't qualify as self-defense in court of law. Supreme court has repeatedly ruled it that way.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that Gun should be used only under very serious conditions. And they do get serious.
After that you can ride into the sunset, the titles will start rolling up.

Quote:
Martial art is fine if someone is to fight with one person . My friend coming home on bike from station was thrashed up by two persons only because he slowed to let some handicapped cross the road. He is 6'3" 100kgs and is black belt in Karate ( he has also participated in international events, recently in Germany ) very well.
The problem is street fighting is very different than competition fights. The fighting strategy is also very different. People schooled in traditional forms often don't know what to do in street fights. I've known top fighters (winners of various Karate competitions) who stood clueless when confronted with a bokken (wooden sword) or fighting stick. I hope practical styles like Krav Maga will become popular in India.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2008, 20:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I though Karate black belt would be able to handle 2 guys.

Anyway, point was quite a few incidents are due to road rage and patience (required to master martial arts) helps in controlling that to some extent.
The problem will arise when the opposite two persons will also have training with Karate.

To gain patience, the best thing to do is Meditation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
6ft3 100kgs and a black belt.- Should be able to take on 2 guys easily.

Carrying a gun is not an option IMO.
I am 5'10" 90kg and still I can handle 2 people ( done that in the past ), however, others can also be powerful and we must remember that. Here the other two were both more than 6' and well built.

Gun has the best option to fear someone away and use it in extreme cases. The present day sceanario will make us carrying guns one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Deadly fashion? And then what, spend rest of your life in prison? Road rage fights don't qualify as self-defense in court of law. Supreme court has repeatedly ruled it that way.

After that you can ride into the sunset, the titles will start rolling up.

The problem is street fighting is very different than competition fights. The fighting strategy is also very different. People schooled in traditional forms often don't know what to do in street fights. I've known top fighters (winners of various Karate competitions) who stood clueless when confronted with a bokken (wooden sword) or fighting stick. I hope practical styles like Krav Maga will become popular in India.
yes for steet fighting you need to be very quick and the last thing to do is " What If i hit him. "? "What will be consequences"? Just hit the best you can. I am writing this from personal experience of having breaking one hand of a car driver.

Any way, at the persent rate/way, we will have to carry guns and the best thing is to start doing it now. Controlling anger is difficult at that specific point of time and sometimes saying sorry will also help.

OT: Road rage is like corruption: might is right. You have to win. I know more than one incidence when top politicians also called MLA who repented their decesion to go with gundagardi, that too official. I cant post more.
Old 28th May 2008, 21:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have 4 pepper Sprey ordered from their website online, my office building owner who owns city taxy and drives as well took one from me. Other 3 I have kept in my home I guess my family members might take it soon.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 28th May 2008, 21:40   #15
BHPian

Its all in the mind

Ive been reading this thread regularly for some time.

I am a lonely driver most of the times and have learnt through experience that keeping a cool mind is the key to safety.

I have driving in Kolkata for a decade and things used to get riotous many times.
  1. Yr 1997 KOL: I hit a rickshaw once in my M800 once so hard that it hit its axle and it did a 180 degree somersault (nothing ha penned mysteriously to my car) I drove zip-zap skidded at turnings and galf an hour later I saw from the balcony a swarm of riskshaw pullers combing my colony. Driving away fast : saved me.
  2. Yr. 1999 KOL: Once I went to some narrow street in Kolkata (City college Kolkata) and one hawker jumped my path with his cycle. Next thing he started chasing me on foot and soon I saw a number of people chasing me like mad dogs (There was a slum there) I zipped across the narrow lane like crazy and saved myself.
  3. Yr. 2002 KOL: Once I almost hit a biker (becos of his fault) and he blocked my way at the next intersection and got two other bikers into his gang asking me to get out of my car. I was with my parents. I revved my engine hard and let go of the clutch and banged his front wheel off and drove. They followed me for a while and when the time came right, I rolled up my window, gave him my heartfelt abuses and sped off through thick traffic. Again my driving skills helped. And of course the car was M800 so puny overtaker it was.
  4. Yr 2000 Again once a Taxi dented my M800 and I got out and furiously held the taxi drivers collar. other Taxis stopped by and pulled me away. Then I somehow grabbed the taxis key ( I knew to press that button under the steering column fast) I demanded money. This was in posh Sarat Bose Area and to my surprise now some educated local youths came and pushed me away (They were jealous of a young fella having a personal car then) and I had to give the keys back. Now the errant taxi drove off and the other taxis which had stopped by blocked my way for a moment so that I could not follow that taxi!
  5. This one happened just after I got married. and I had a big car now. A drunkard suddenly banged my bonnet when I was driving through a street. He asked for money and shouted to the public that I had hit him or something. I veered my car like crazy through a single lane road and suddenly he was in front of my car. I just sped off to the main road. Luckily he gave way.

Things have improved in Kolkata - the traffic and people attitude towards private cars. I am sure there will be less of these situations now.

Lesson 1 : Stay away from Ugly Situations
Lesson 2 : If Ugly situations Happen, vanish from there a.s.a.p.
Lesson 3 : Anticipate Ugly Situations and prevent them. If they do happen, take it lightly and be apologetic till the time u are back on the wheel and the road ahead is clear for u to speed off. Just dont stay there.
Lesson 4: Smile not matter what. Show ur concern and take a casual but caring attitude. Say how worse it could have been etc. etc. Say that nobody drives to cause intentional damage. If its a crowd - take them away form ur car and talk so that they dont target ur car.

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2021 at 10:46. Reason: Hit & run? You have to be kidding

Most Viewed