Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 10:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Pepper sprays are the safest things to keep in the vehicle I think. These can be used from a distance AFIK. But, stun guns are a better alternative. Then again, you need to get real close (make contact) with the target to use it.

A hockey stick/baseball bat is good only if you are facing one or two people and provided you know how to handle yourself and your club.

But, once you are brandishing a club/weapon, it shows your intent. It may or may not scare away the targets. But, it'll surely turn the cops/other wintess against you.

@ Btirthankar - Dada, a person's life is FAR more expensive than any car's worth IMHO.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't Karate/Kung-Fu teach you to defend oneself from more than 1 person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
My friend coming home on bike from station was thrashed up by two persons only because he slowed to let some handicapped cross the road. He is 6'3" 100kgs and is black belt in Karate ( he has also participated in international events, recently in Germany ) very well.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:18   #33
BHPian

I bought my pepper spray from Home page
Old 29th May 2008, 11:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Excatly that is what I menat.
It does teach how to defend, but then others can also have brains. IN this case both the persons were very experineced street fithters ( as my friend found out ) and they could use their brain better.

They are not afraid of losing anything, and so they were violent from the very moment the fight started. my friend is from a peace loving and disciplined family. he had never experienced street fighting. He might be a karate black belt, but out on the road and real world, things are very different. They can get down to a very low level, a level at which we cannot fight.

This is my point here. Before getting in to physical fight, be agressive and arrogant and dont think what will happen if ..?

THE BASIC INTENTION OF STREET FIGHTERS IS TO BRIGN YOU DOWN TO THEIR LOW LEVEL. IF THIS HAPPENS, YOU MIGHT WIN BATTLE, BUT THEY HAVE WON THE WAR BY BRINING YOUR LEVEL DOWN. AND ALSO REMEMBER THAT AT THIS LEVEL, THEY HAVE EXPERIENCE OF FIGHTING AND WINNING.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:27   #35
BHPian

Till now I've never carried any defense contraptions. [my Swiss champ excluded]. Couple of my friends carry iron rods next to their seats.

I've restrained carrying any, for the fear of using it on any person in a road rage. I encounter 3-4 instances a week, where I feel like killing those who drive ruthlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I bought my pepper spray from Home page
Thanks Mohit.

I ordered two of them.
cheers:

Last edited by aah78 : 30th May 2008 at 00:44. Reason: Potential expletive removed.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:30   #36
Team-BHP Support

I have been punched once by a guy whom I called stupid for the way he was riding his bike.

Made me feel very sorry for him and laugh the next day when I saw him wearing a plaster across his hand.
Never punch a guy on his jaw. Its stronger than your wrist in most cases.

Thats about the only time someone hit me.

I have not hit anyone and dont intend to either.

Be aware of where you are and if trouble does crop up and it has happened many times staying calm has helped.

Dont ever get scared for no one can kill you.
That power is with God and God alone.

Someone may be an instrument of injury fatal or otherwise but no one has the power to do that to you except God.

The flyover incident reminds me of one morning when coming under the telugu talli at about 60 kmph or so I find a guy on his bike perpendicular to the road.
He wants to go to his office which is right at the exit of the flyover.
I hit my brakes.
The bike is screeching.
Just a day back I was practising high speed braking.
Practise practise practise and then practise a litle more.

I let my bike stop with the wheel touching his leg and his face was a million bucks.
Showed him the rubber streak on the road behind.
Asked him to say thank you to my disc brake.

Told him when he goes home to feel gratefull that god gave him a second chance.

I felt good.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2008, 12:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

I agree with carrying the Spray normally in your vehicle & may be a rod\bat for long highway hauls as it might come handy for other purpose too than self defence.

I have one doubt with any kind of self defense equipment, if something happens on road where you are not expecting a brawl or heated debate, will one be able to use these in time e.g I have the spray inside car & a normal conversation turns nasty, I may or may not get enough time to open the door & get the spray out, also this will alarm the other person & he may take out his weapon?

So what is the ideal way? Should we carry it the moment we step out of the car?
Old 29th May 2008, 12:13   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Theoretically yes. But you gotta realise there are no professional warriors these days, except in infantry and commando divisions. Even they primarily depend on firearms. Even the police depend on their uniform and authority. All of us who spend few hours a week practicing are a far cry from real warriors. Even the ones who practice more, like martial arts trainers and competition fighters, practice only for one-on-one fights. There are no one-on-many competitions. Longer weapons can help though. If you are really good at longer weapons, you can fight multiple people, but again lot depends on your strategy, opponents and luck. I have heard about an expert Silambam fighter who defeated 25 people in a gang fight in rural Tamilnadu using a stick. It is possible, but he was lucky too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Never punch a guy on his jaw. Its stronger than your wrist in most cases.
Not true for people who are into competition braking, their bones will be lot more denser and can crack your jaw easily. It is easy to spot them, their hands will be slightly mangled. See this: Xtreme Breaking, Master Drew Serrano Video
Old 29th May 2008, 12:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have a steel pipe in my Baleno's boot. Its there because the lug wrench is a bit short and I need to insert the pipe over it in case I have a puncture.

But if it comes to a point where life is at stake, I would probably swing it around and break people head's with it.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not true for people who are into competition braking, their bones will be lot more denser and can crack your jaw easily. It is easy to spot them, their hands will be slightly mangled. See this: Xtreme Breaking, Master Drew Serrano Video

That was some video Samurai!! Breaking coconuts with a bare hand!!

And what a physique man!! Must be much stronger than guys with 2 times more mass.

Is he a karate guy?
Old 29th May 2008, 12:37   #41
Team-BHP Support

The best weapon is your car. It can break through 10 karate experts, and you can be a pot bellied middle aged man who can't even break open a coconut with a hammer, let alone your hand.
so when in doubt dump the clutch, turn of your lights and floor the pedal.
The best strategy in a street fight situation is the accelerator.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2008, 12:56   #42
BHPian

Carry a Maglite. Useful as a torch in any case; can be used as a baton if things get really ugly.
Old 29th May 2008, 13:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Recently In National Geographic (TV Channel ) there was this documentary regarding super-humans. They say with practise you can make bones so hard that it can break through stacks of concrete blocks. The amount shown there was more than the video Samurai has posted. And if i remember some guys were generating nearly a tonn of force!!!!.. enough to break the entire skull i presume.
But again the best weapon is patience and a plan B to escape if situation turns worst. At the end of day , calm gives you better sleep.
Old 29th May 2008, 13:56   #44
BHPian

Yes, car is the best weapon for offense as well as for defense.
  • Don't come out of the car.
  • Keep engine running in case you have to make a quick getaway.
  • Keep the windows rolled up
  • Keep all doors locked
  • Apply unbreakable film on the glasses
  • Keep pepper spray/steel pipe in a handy place.
If I remember correctly, in the nippon security system there is some option to sound the alarm in case you are attacked.
watashi75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2008, 14:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I have a steel pipe in my Baleno's boot.

But if it comes to a point where life is at stake, I would probably swing it around and break people head's with it.
A small observation:

What will the opposition be doing while you
  • open the boot
  • go around the car to the boot
  • open the boot
  • fetch your steel pipe
Solution:
Keep the pipe in the gap between the driver seat & the car frame, invisible but easily reachable.

cheers:
eclectix 1st is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks