Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 14:31   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
But if it comes to a point where life is at stake, I would probably swing it around and break people head's with it.
What next? With that you will give legitimate reasons for the mob to lynch you, or the police to arrest you.

Weapons snowball even a small skirmish into a very violent situation. If you do carry weapon, use it only in cases of robbery and not for road-rage situation. You can claim self-defence only in the former case.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2008, 14:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What next? With that you will give legitimate reasons for the mob to lynch you, or the police to arrest you.

Weapons snowball even a small skirmish into a very violent situation. If you do carry weapon, use it only in cases of robbery and not for road-rage situation. You can claim self-defence only in the former case.
Well, As I said :

A.) Its NOT a weapon - its there for a legitimate and peacefull reason. i.e. as an extension for the lug wrench. Thats why I keep it in the boot and not under the seat as suggested here.

B.) I dont think I or anybody else would worry about whether there will be a valid reason later to claim self defence, when I am in a situation where my life is at stake. As they say, in these extremest of extreme situations, I would rather shoot first and ask questions later.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:48   #48
BHPian

At which junction did this happen ? Just curious to know because im from baroda too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
OT: The above incidence I am talking about damaging is like this.
At a busy juncition no cops were there. everybody rode/drove in. Chaos. A man from corsa Sail gets out and screams at others. Pushses cycle rikshaw and cycle rikshaw ends up in the truck ahead. He pushes my Spirit hard. I instantly apply rear barkes. Headlight cracked. My temper lost. He get heavy beating from me. His wife comes out. I screamed and asked her to move out. The man was now bleeding. I went to his car and climbed onto bonnet. Then kicked his front windsheild. Cracked it. 3 daughters and his wife were terrified. he was from delhi staying at hotel and was here to join friend's marriage function. Was struck up in traffic jam.

At home I felt glorified and told others. My parents gave me high pitched 3 hour lecture. The next day after nights sleep, i repented. I still do. and I avoid using that road.
Old 29th May 2008, 19:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Pepper spray store in bangalore

This is where you can order your can in bangalore

..:: COBRA ::..,** Cobra Spray. Bangalore, India, Pepper Spray, Self Defence, Self Defense, Self Defence Pepper Spray, Self Defense Pepper Spray,
Old 29th May 2008, 20:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Doesn't Karate/Kung-Fu teach you to defend oneself from more than 1 person?
how about a combination of KARate and kung-FU = KARFU (like curfew )
i have been to karate classes for two months.

the karate lessons help me keep my body fit (also flat abdomen) and flexible.

the things which would help in combat situation are fit body(when you punch your knuckles should be able to take the hit), presence of mind, ability to take few hits which can be gained by going to karate classes. Also the instructor once in a while gave some lessons on self defense derived from ju-jit-su.

raj.
Old 29th May 2008, 20:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I will ONLY suggest the pepper spray, nothing else.
where do you get one?
Old 29th May 2008, 21:54   #52
rippergeo

back off from a fight. best thing to do. if that doesnt work,

like tsk and watashi said, the best weapon is your car. stay in it. always have an escape route planned. always. even when you're not involved in a fight, keep an escape route planned. I rarely let other people box in my car. there is always some route ready for use.

if you see the road ahead is blocked, scan for openings in the side. if that is not available, slow down and keep rolling slowly.
next option is a handbrake turn/180. if that doesnt work, then you have to use the car as a battering ram

and when that fails, and your assailants are beginning to break through the glass, surprise them with pepper spray.

people thinking of using guns, knives and iron rods- do you want this country to become like africa?

weapons are never the answer for self defence. someone somewhere always will have a more deadly weapon than you.

pepper spray is acceptable IMO, but only as a last resort.

Old 29th May 2008, 22:01   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Pepper Spray is available for 500/- at any Health and Glow outlet. I bought one last year for a friend who was working a late shift.
Old 29th May 2008, 23:58   #54
BHPian

Pepper spray (Cobra brand) is also available in Trivandrum from armoury shops. Details were in the newspaper and it seems that the owner asks for persons name and address when selling the stuff and requires some ID proof. Dunno if that is true or not
Old 30th May 2008, 00:25   #55
BHPian

My advice to you guys is to get away from any situation that you feel is turning ugly especially on the freeways where you are far away from any Law enforcer/help.

On one of our trips we had a small accident and we were attacked by some locals and the driver of the car than rammed into us started beating up our driver. (Im not getting into the details but things there could have gotten ugly)
They started beating up our driver, all because he wanted to call the cops.
They knew that if the cops came they would get into trouble as it was their fault.

I pleaded with them, pulled away 2 of them and main guy doing all the talking or rather beating here and I had agree that it was our fault, and that we were the ones at fault and they let us go. We agreed to them at it was our fault, agreed not to call the cops, not to press charges and fled away from the scene. Yea I kept cursing and swearing all the way back home!

Last edited by Gregory : 30th May 2008 at 00:35.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I
The best self defense is "Prevention is better than cure:"
Makes sence. Completely agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The problem is street fighting is very different than competition fights.
This is very much true. Street fighting itself is a different league. You really need skills

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st May 2008 at 02:50. Reason: Merged.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:18   #57
BHPian

I think streetfighting is more about ruthlessness and an ability to inflict pain, rather than plain skills. A trained martial artist would think thrice before breaking somebody's arm; a streetfighter/rowdy would have no such compunctions.
ballkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2008, 00:12   #58
BHPian

Drive a Jeep. Older and uglier the better.

Jongas work too.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

The solutions offered here resulted in a cynical smile. Most of you who escaped from mob fury by driving rashly in bylanes etc., were plain lucky. Yes the roads are being patrolled by bike gangs, car-jackers and what not and like Tanveer said, shut all the lights and floor the pedal. Save your's and your family's life and limb first. If you live to see another day then only you can face the corresponding situation.

I shall recount an experience that happened in 2003 on the NH8 that was the Delhi Jaipur road and the expressway wasn' there. It was 3 in the morning and I was returning with my family in the Safari to Gurgaon. The traffic was sparse and just after crossing Mahipalpur I noticed two bikes with 2 persons on each following. The Safari at that time had very dark films and even during daytime one couldn't see in from outside. One by one they came level with the car and tried to look inside and then I sensed that something was wrong. Probably the MH number made them assume that we were soft targets. My son is about 5'11" & hefty was in the back seat and there was a big hammer in the car left by the mason who was to come the next day for some renovation work at home. I told my son to be ready with the hammer and asked my daughter to get the 'latth' from the boot that I always speak. Now I increased the speed of the car and the bikers too did the same. I accelerated to 110 and by now had reached where currently Ambience Mall is located. No traffic and I see in the left RVM that biker was pulling level and waving his hands to stop, silghtly slowed down and as soon he was in line with the left wheel, yanked the steering to hard left. Heard a loud thunk and that bike vanished out of sight. I dunno what happened and I didn't care. Now the second biker was accelarating hard and I floored. When I got a distance of nearly 2 furlongs between us, I braked and as planned my son with the hammer head raised high above his head and I with the 'latth' ran towards the bike. The fellows seeing this sight probably got scared and lost balance and ploughed into the nearby fields, fell down and scurried off. We immediately got back inot the car and sped away.

Ever since I carry a solid 2.5 feet steel rod and am not averse to using if I get into an ugly situation that is not of my making. Owning a big diesel also helps..
gd1418 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2008, 12:18   #60
BHPian

Arey waah!! GD, that makes a brilliant tamil movie scene. Nice narrating skills too!!

Most Viewed