Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 09:49   #1
BHPian

120 and more skidding incidents in 2 days

In Mumbai on the eastern express highway at the vikhroli godrej junction there were more than 120 skidding accidents and i personally saw more than 30 cars parked on the highway after skidding. This is only because the authorities have put mastic asphalt on the highway which is very slippery even without water on it. This kind of surface is only used on junctions where the vehicles are at low speeds generally.Who is to be blamed , no one is taking up the issue seriously as it is dangerous for drivers to venture out those roads. It is only after a fatal accident yesterday media has started reporting the incidents on th front page. I would advise people in Mumbai not to drive at higher speed on the stretch between ghatkopar to vikhroli, as all the skidding incidents have happened on that patch.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That particular road section is reported to be problematic by some newspapers. Apparently, the road authorities are trying to add a frictional surface as we discuss this.

Nevertheless, our roads have become extremely slippery due to the monsoons. I urge everyone to drive real safe, and take extra precautions (lower speed, maintain a higher distance between you and front car etc.).
Old 10th June 2008, 19:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well, I saw in news that there were more than 300 minor + major accidents combined in Mumbai within 3 days because of rains. For me getting out is alsmost impossible as the roads are pretty slippery and on either side of road, its dug up for pipelines.
Old 10th June 2008, 20:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

The first morning that it rained in Mumbai, my parents were driving back from Thane and saw 15+ incidents of cars skidding out of control to the point that there could have been a pile-up on the Highway. This was the first instance of these reported skidding incidents, and was easily more than a week ago. My parents' car survived driving through that stretch luckily. I was driving back from Lonavala at the same time and they called to warn me as well, in case the Pune road was in the same state. I can't believe that the authorities did nothing for more than a week till this morning when the report flashed across the press.
Old 10th June 2008, 22:10   #5
BHPian

300 major + minor accidents? Now thats quite huge! lucky for us in Kerala,since we don't get to see any part of the road during monsoon,either because its under water or because it gets washed away. hehe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks