Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2008, 08:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian
That stretch is bad because people who need to turn right into Anna U stop without any indication or intent of doing so at the last minute.
Very true. Most of them don't signal their intention or do it at the last moment by when it is too late for the vehicle behind to take evasive action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian
What time was this ? I must have crossed the stretch at 8.45 AM or so.
This was around 9:30AM.
Old 12th June 2008, 08:57   #17
BHPian

Saw the indicab still on the road when i crossed the place around 23:00.
Old 12th June 2008, 09:11   #18
BANNED

Legally, CRV may be right. But according to 'Best Practices in Driving', you should never make other vehicles brake hard (unless if its an emergency). What was the emergency to brake hard? Was the CRV driver dreaming on the turn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I got there after the pile up happened, so not sure why the lead car braked. But since this happened at the place where you take a right turn to get into the Madras University (Guindy campus), I guess some car would have slowed down or braked to take the right turn.

The CR-V (old type) would have braked in time, but the 3 cars behind it would not have been able to brake in time. So, a private Indica (pretty new) rams into the CR-V's bumper, an Indicab rams into the Indica and finally a Santro rams into the Indicab.
Old 13th June 2008, 10:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Isn't every moment on Indian roads an emergency, diabloo ?

In this case, it must have been someone in front of the CRV who was cruising steadily and then suddenly decided that he wanted to take a right turn, catching the CRV by surprise. Ofcourse, we could argue that the CRV should have anticipated it and taken evasive action, but then reality is very different from theory.
Old 13th June 2008, 11:19   #20
BHPian

SB,

OT : Time to update your location details.

Cheers,
Raajiv
Old 13th June 2008, 16:38   #21
BHPian

[quote=kuttapan;861884]Oh no. Are you sure you are not joking? There is no 10m, there is no 100m either.

You can see the words "Please maintain 10m distance" on the back of buses and lorries.

Thiyags
Old 17th June 2008, 02:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

[quote=thiyags22;865335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Oh no. Are you sure you are not joking? There is no 10m, there is no 100m either.

You can see the words "Please maintain 10m distance" on the back of buses and lorries.

Thiyags
True. You find lot of other nonsense as well, if you have been paying attention. Do you take all these as gospel?

Best practices talk about maintaining a 2 second distance(for passing the same obstacle as the vehicle in front just passed), but it is always upto the driver to judge the gap required, as he knows his vehicle better than others.

Please, please maintain safe distance as per conditions - I repeat, there is no fixed safe distance. It changes according to the conditions you drive in.
Old 17th June 2008, 04:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^The 2 second rule is the best thing to follow.
Old 25th June 2008, 13:12   #24
BHPian

My brother and I were driving in his car once. About five seconds after we stopped, a man in a motorcycle rearended us. The two incompetent policemen asked the motorcyclist if he can drive. He said, "Yes sir", and drove away into the darkness, obviously smelling of alcohol all the time.

What happened was even more shocking. The two clowns took us to the police station (after letting the drunk motorcyclist go) and asked us to file a report. Since we seemed to know the law, they let us go without trying to extort money from us.

FYI, if any Chennai Police vigilance and anticorruption officers are reading this, it was at the Meenambakkam Police Station. That place needs to be cleaned up.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:56   #25
BHPian

I have had bad things happening on this road. My post on "My Dec08 Jinx" refers to the accident to my friend's car when I was driving on this road. And again after a month later an accident happened to my Fiesta on the same road near the Cenotaph signal.

I was the last person to cross the signal (from standing). Suddenly few vehicles in front braked hard. And I stopped just few inches away from a brand new Civic only to see a person rushing in his santro squeezing before the signal closed ran straight into my rear. He didn't have a clue or the presence of mind to understand the vehicles crossed the signal are braking suddenly.

See the damage that happened to the Fiesta and the Santro. My bumper was painted and boot lock replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
4-car pile up at Kotturpuram road, Chennai.-fiesta1.jpg  

4-car pile up at Kotturpuram road, Chennai.-fiesta2.jpg  

4-car pile up at Kotturpuram road, Chennai.-santro1.jpg  

Old 25th June 2008, 14:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Isn't every moment on Indian roads an emergency, diabloo ?

In this case, it must have been someone in front of the CRV who was cruising steadily and then suddenly decided that he wanted to take a right turn, catching the CRV by surprise. Ofcourse, we could argue that the CRV should have anticipated it and taken evasive action, but then reality is very different from theory.
Sometimes it happens that the culprit who would have triggered the accident gets away while the affected parties are stuck with a fight between them.
Old 25th June 2008, 15:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

OT: Why is it that most santros display serious dents either in the front or in the rear ? this time it was the front
Old 25th June 2008, 15:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

John, are you in any way implying "Why are most Santros driven rashly, resulting in dents on the front and rear" ? A la the rashly-driven-Scorpios thread.

I think they get too carried away due to the following 2 reasons :
- seeing SRK zip around in the Santro and
- after reading on tbhp about the Pune-based SuperSantro.
Old 25th June 2008, 15:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

LandCruiser,
There is hardly any damage to the Fiesta! Now, is that as it looks from the outside, or were there any internal damage?
Old 25th June 2008, 15:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
LandCruiser,
There is hardly any damage to the Fiesta! Now, is that as it looks from the outside, or were there any internal damage?
There was not much damage to the fiesta at the first look. Everything was in place except for scratch marks. But when I opened the boot couldn't close it after that as the lock had got damaged. Metal piece where the lock is mounted is replaced along with painting of the bumper. All cost close to Rs.7k!

The car is indeed strong and has taken many hits from 2 wheelers without denting or splitting of the bumper! Touchwood! But compared to the damages to the santro what happened to the fiesta was minor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks