Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 10:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

4-car pile up at Kotturpuram road, Chennai.

On my way to work today morning, I came across an unusual traffic jam on Kotturpuram road, just before Birla Planetarium. This road is usually pretty free, till you merge onto Sardar Patel Road, so I was surprised.

On getting close, saw that there was a 4-car pile up and the traffic jam was due to motorists stopping to have a look at something that you don't get to see daily - 4 cars in an accident, and looking like they are all glued together.

I got there after the pile up happened, so not sure why the lead car braked. But since this happened at the place where you take a right turn to get into the Madras University (Guindy campus), I guess some car would have slowed down or braked to take the right turn.

The CR-V (old type) would have braked in time, but the 3 cars behind it would not have been able to brake in time. So, a private Indica (pretty new) rams into the CR-V's bumper, an Indicab rams into the Indica and finally a Santro rams into the Indicab.

The private Indica seems to have the most damage - its bonnet is badly bent due to hitting the CR-V's bumper and I am sure there is extensive damage inside - radiator, etc. And it also got a nasty hit from behind. The CR-V does not look too bad, but you would know only after the Indica is removed from its rear. The Indicab and Santro look like they have only minor damage.

Just wondering how the blame would be apportioned. And who would pay whom. Or will they all just claim insurance and go their way ?
Old 10th June 2008, 10:44   #2
BANNED

Since this happened in India, its CRV's fault - because he braked hard and what can the Indicas & Santros do
Old 10th June 2008, 10:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aborad, the insurers would discuss and get ot an agreement, over here they do not, so individual are forced to claim on their own or recover using goonda giri
Old 10th June 2008, 10:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
Since this happened in India, its CRV's fault - because he braked hard and what can the Indicas & Santros do
I got rear-ended by a woman driving an M800 a year or so ago. Even though me and the 2 cars in front of me could brake in time, she could not (because she was actually talking to her friend in the passenger seat, instead of looking at the road).
And when I asked her why she did not brake in time, she asked "Why did the guy in front have to brake suddenly?"
Old 10th June 2008, 11:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Aborad, the insurers would discuss and get ot an agreement, over here they do not, so individual are forced to claim on their own or recover using goonda giri
Knowing Indian mentality, I would bet the other car owners would have ganged up and claimed its CR-V's fault and tried to extort some money from him !! After all, he has the money to afford a CR-V
Old 10th June 2008, 17:51   #6
BHPian

That stretch is bad because people who need to turn right into Anna U stop without any indication or intent of doing so at the last minute. If you are unfamiliar with this you have to brake suddenly to avoid hitting the vehicle (usually two wheeler) that has stopped suddenly to turn right. What time was this ? I must have crossed the stretch at 8.45 AM or so.
Old 10th June 2008, 18:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had been there last friday. Stayed in Adyar and had to cross Kottupuram. There are couple of blind spots near Kottupuram. Hope this might have caused the accident.
Old 10th June 2008, 18:45   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
That stretch is bad because people who need to turn right into Anna U stop without any indication or intent of doing so at the last minute.
This is a Chennai trait - indicators at the very last moment and only if somebody honks from behind.

I got rear ended by an Ikon in broad daylight while waiting to make a U-turn on ECR. The Ikon's front was totally gone and the guy had the gall to say we'll split his repair bill 75/25 because the Indica's brake light design is bad and he couldn't see the brake lights lit. I asked him how he missed seeing the car itself. I had to threaten to go to the police if he demanded any money. My Indica? Built like a truck (this sounds good when compared with Built Like a Tank)
Old 10th June 2008, 22:20   #9
BHPian

I still believe, its not CRV's mistake. Others must follow by 10m, isnt it?
Old 10th June 2008, 22:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

i guess crv's braking is preety good with disc all around.
thats why we should keep safe distance than driving bumper to bumper. I guess in foreign its an offence and its called tailgating.
Old 11th June 2008, 00:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Oh no. Are you sure you are not joking? There is no 10m, there is no 100m either.

The operative words are "SAFE DISTANCE". Please say that thrice, so that it remains in your head. This distance can vary according to speed, terrain, weather conditions, vehicle condition etc. Safe distance means you should be able to bring to your car to a stop, no matter what the other guy does. The onus is always on the guy behind, to take evasive option or to stop. One just cannot expect the guy in front to to take into consideration, the guy coming from behind, especially when doing an emergency maneuver.

Last edited by kuttapan : 11th June 2008 at 00:52.
Old 11th June 2008, 12:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
I remember seeing this on the reverse side of State Transports. (FOLLOW WITH A DISTANCE OF 10 M)
Old 11th June 2008, 12:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I asked him how he missed seeing the car itself.
Guess he was busy analyzing the Indica's tail lamp assembly.

I was rammed by an Auto rickshaw 5 seconds after i had stopped & he was just plain honest & said 'sorry saar, no brakes'.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Guess he was busy analyzing the Indica's tail lamp assembly.

I was rammed by an Auto rickshaw 5 seconds after i had stopped & he was just plain honest & said 'sorry saar, no brakes'.

Haha, good excuse that! I guess he would look for a vehicle ahead whenever he wants to stop his rick.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:20   #15
BHPian

The entire stretch of Kotturpuram right after the bridge until you reach SP road has lots of blindspots. Adding to that the new speedbreakers on the road has poor paint quality leading to 2-wheelers missing it in the night and falling over. The median construction work is also going on without proper warning boards making the life of people driving at night even more difficult/dangerous.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks