Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:40   #196
BHPian

re: No horn please! (Honking Menace)

Hi

My id says it all. I honk on average once a a day. My mom and uncle are always scolding me for not honking.

With patience this honking disease(unnecessarily) can be cured.
Just slow down a bit when approaching the intersection and there is no need to horn. We have to slow down anyways as honking does not ensure free passage.

If someone is honking at me for no apparent reason, I frustrate him even more by not giving him way.
Have seen people honking at empty roads in the middle of the night, Its a habit/disease.

I am teaching my wife to drive without honking. Also tell my friends why the honking was not required, they do realise that later, after some arguement.

The day we Indians start caring (or even give a thought) for polution(all kinds of) and not think of "me first"( for no gains whatsoever), this honking menace will also come down.
DoNotHorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:41   #197
BHPian

What should one do when the person behind you keeps honking when its totally uncalled for ?

I have faced this on numerous occasions, but was left rather annoyed this morning while i was stuck in one of those b2b menace. Had a Scorpio right behind me and we were literally crawling. This guy just kept honking, i mean there is no place for anyone to barge ahead , cant he see that ?
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:12   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
What should one do when the person behind you keeps honking when its totally uncalled for ?

I have faced this on numerous occasions, but was left rather annoyed this morning while i was stuck in one of those b2b menace. Had a Scorpio right behind me and we were literally crawling. This guy just kept honking, i mean there is no place for anyone to barge ahead , cant he see that ?
You quickly check if it is a T-BHPian who wants to get your attention. Then you check if it is an Ambulance.

If neither, breathe in, breathe out. Go in an infinite loop.
Old 24th September 2011, 13:32   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You quickly check if it is a T-BHPian who wants to get your attention. Then you check if it is an Ambulance.

That sure was funny !

I just keep my windows raised, with the AC on and music playing, at all traffic signals, so the guy behind me can sit on his horn for as long as he wants, without disturbing my state of bliss.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 13:56   #200
BHPian

Quote:

That sure is funny

My dad and Uncle never tire reminding me that I am in India and I have to honk a lot and I drive like a foreigner. The funny part is I have never been out of Bangalore.

I still remember a episode from Amazing Race where one of the contestant was travelling in a Taxi in Rajasthan, the road was empty but the Taxi driver never took his hand from the horn.

We Indians are vocal people. So, probably when driving we make our vehicles talk.
Old 24th September 2011, 18:19   #201
BHPian

Quote:

That one had me in splits

Sometimes i feel like getting behind their ride and give a taste of their own medicine. But then this is Bangalore, where driving in itself is an ordeal
Old 8th February 2012, 11:58   #202
Senior - BHPian

Its good to see a lot more people at least consider using the horn more sparingly. We could actually have quieter roads in half a generation or so.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:16   #203
Senior - BHPian

Without honking there is no sane way to drive in chennai. I honk to inform someone that they may hit me and not the other way around.

And there is no way my honking will reduce in India. Without honking the general mind set is such that they ignore you.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:39   #204
Senior - BHPian

Disagree! Have been driving around for a few months with near-zero use of the horn - both on the car and the bike. I drive better, as quick as earlier, and have learned how to use the ABC on the vehicles to have more control both over the vehicle and my actions/reactions. Am also much more stress free. In theory, yes, it sounds difficult, but once you try it out - the other way feels so pointless and ridiculous. Give it a shot.
zenx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 13:44   #205
BHPian

Over the past two weeks i have been honking more frequently; courtesy my route to ECity from Manyata Tech Park via city roads. My usual route to ECity was from KRPuram, on the ORR or Indira Nagar 100ft road.

I believe there are three major factors for my increased horn usage - narrow roads, numerous signals and day-dreaming road users. I encounter atleast 6-10 cars driven at 20kph speeds and holding up the traffic, everyday.

One solace though; the drive from KRPuram to Manyata requires little or no horn!
Old 9th February 2012, 14:56   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Without honking there is no sane way to drive in chennai. I honk to inform someone that they may hit me and not the other way around.

And there is no way my honking will reduce in India. Without honking the general mind set is such that they ignore you.
and others honk at you thinking you may hit them. The cycle of madness continues.....
Old 5th June 2012, 10:12   #207
BHPian

Got really frustrated today morning. A state car was behind me in b2b traffic. The road was a two lane and there was absolutely no place to overtake. The driver in the state car kept on honking really hard and then he started flashing his lights. Finally I had to give way by getting out of the lane onto the foot path!. As he was overtaking me, he stared at me with one of those looks and was swearing me. I simply smiled back at him which got him even more frustrated and he started going slow in front of me only to realize that I had to take a turn in the next intersection a couple of meters away.

On a serious note, the honking has to stop from these idiots first who think that with political power they can do anything.
Old 5th June 2012, 14:38   #208
BHPian

An idiot is what my cab driver is, he honks at every pothole & speed breaker! I lost my calm this Monday & gave him a piece of my mind.
The poor chap was itching so much to honk, but since he couldn't he was drumming the steering wheel.
Old 5th June 2012, 17:21   #209
Zed
BHPian

My wife's driving instructor in Chennai actually encouraged her to use the horn more often as he felt she wasn't doing a good job of warning other road users - this was in 2009 . Is there really a chance that things will improve as long as we have instructors, family member, friends that misguide us on traffic rules and regulations ?

My office commute was about 90 kms, to and fro, and I spent 3-4 hours on the road every day. Whenever I was behind the wheel I would make a conscious effort to follow traffic regulations - sticking to my lane, indicating before lane changes, maintaining safe distances, not honking unless really essential etc. I found that I was considerable less stressed but not considerably slower than colleagues, chauffeurs & friends that treated the road like a battlefield.
Old 5th June 2012, 17:52   #210
BHPian

Hi everybody
Providing a hilarious take on our honking habits,an article by Jug Suraiya in Times of India 27th Feb 2005.
The title is :Horny India(it impressed me so much that I remembered reading it after 7+ years
Enjoy
Regards

Article Window

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks