Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2007, 12:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I love the sound of my horn so find the smallest oppurtunity to honk. cant live without it.
That's so nice of you. Even all the cabbies think same in Bangalore and expect you to climb (the big foot stlye) on top of the vehicle in front of you no matter what veicle you are in the stop-go traffic and give them space to slot in...

Really appreciate Appuchan and may his tribe increase.

regards
Bullfrog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace be on earth with less morons honking at every available opportunity

Last edited by Bullfrog : 7th May 2007 at 12:11.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

great appuchan and would love to do the same, note of caution if you are venturing out to highway and high speed driving.

Having said all this.. i have started using my oe horns in swift more than necessary, its not that loud but its bloody irritating!! now honking to glory to all the cabies, tvs, rickshaws and the cars that cut me or block the way (illegal/idiotic way of driving)!!

am guilty of pollution but i find it very useful to vent my road rage

OT: Rudra is one driver whom i know who uses horn to a bare minimum (actually i dont remember honking at all), and one can learn a trick or two from him.
Old 8th May 2007, 14:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
appuchan,

Very commendable self-discipline. Appreciate the positive influence you've effected on Bangalore traffic - President APJ Abdul Kalam will be proud of you.

However speaking for myself, and I'm not a horn-happy person, when a situation arises where I feel my car or the other party (2-wheelers, animals, pedestrians) are in potential danger of any kind, I "blip" my horn and both parties never end up losers.
Thank you! Hope APJ is reading this. Atleast I deserve a PVC award .

I have been fortunate enough to not having came across a situation to honk. I am sure its not possible to do this forever. Just an attempt. In any case, I will never go back to my old days when I never used to take my hands off the "steel ring" in my Amby! Also, I am sure if I go to my home town in Kerala, I will be hard-pressed to use it. Since people in most towns dont have enough space to walk around and they treat public roads as their playgrounds. Blame it on high urbanization and population density!
Old 8th May 2007, 14:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I love the sound of my horn so find the smallest oppurtunity to honk. cant live without it.
Well. You will be one of those who has been "ignored" by me ! But I suggest you try it. Its a great de-tensioner.
Old 8th May 2007, 14:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I can understand what led you to that practice appuchan. I myself get tremendously irritated when someone honks needlessly. And in this country thats almost always. On a red light some nut will come from behind and will start honking, the light just turns amber to indicate that its your turn next and a couple of monkeys will immediately jump on their horns... Examples are many. I call them horn jockeys... HJs. At times it infuriates me enough to fly off the handle. I almost hit out at a cabbie once when I realized that he was trying to bully me incessantly since 1 km back as he though I was a novice driver (I was driving my friends new car with ribbons, minus the no. plate).

However, there ends the similarity. Although at times my wife gets exasperated when I refuse to honk in traffic muddles I still do use the horn. Its more kind of a toot (blipping the horn that is) while passing those 8-seaters or rogue buses. You see... in a country like this at times it can get excruciating. You probably drive in a bumper to bumper traffic from start till end and hence I can understand that honking is not required. However if you do find an open stretch of a road and are doing some 50kmph when all of a sudden you find to biker chums are happilly driving at 30kmph, next to each other, chatting their way to glory you will realise that you either will have to honk or else cut across lanes. For no matter how much you flash or get at a licking distance to their ar**s they just refuse to move to the left. In fact even toot won't make them budge. Its only when you pierce their diaphragms with a loud horn that they will give you an indolent glance and move aside.

Uhuh... it is difficult not to honk buddy... you can practice restraint but you can't airbrush that horn out of your car's vital stats... not yet.

I too had similar problem, when my wife used to ask me if I had forgot about that big button in the center of the steering! And yes, it may not be enough just ot stop/reduce honking, its also important to dis-regard those HJs. Else you will end up venting the anger in other ways like rash driving or being abusive. Well these chatty bikers is a real problem, though I find less of that tribe here in Bangalore compared to Chennai or Kerala. Here it seems everybody is busy "out-honking" others

I used to have big noisy "Bosch" horn (the ones installed on the front bumber) on my old Amby in addition to an imported "musical air-horn" which I used to drive years ago. I was very proud of that! I enjoyed scaring bikes and autos with it. Now its a full circle!
Old 8th May 2007, 14:44   #36
BHPian

I think we should observe a "No Horn day" atleast once a month. Maybe the FM stations can take this up as a campaign
Old 8th May 2007, 14:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Well done appuchan, we truly appreciate your effort.
This country is hopelessly noisy and needs more citizens like you.

Why only automobile drivers, those who manage temples, mosques, gurudwaras, etc. fare no better when it comes to disturbing others through noise. And then we have those religious minded souls who stay awake all night chanting prayers on loudspeakers (jagrata). Which religious scripture tells you it's compulsory to use loudspeakers while reciting prayers?

About 7 years or so ago, the Govt. of India did introduce noise pollution norms under the Environment Protection Act but they are seldom followed except perhaps by manufacturers of DG sets - a soundproof accoustic enclosure is now mandatory.

I think the amount of honking drivers do also depends on their education level. Cars that are being driven by "driver" are the worst culprit.

As for myself, I don't horn much. When I do, I use two very short blips, one after the other - it's more audible, yet less noisy overall.
In fact I practice this "less noise" campaign even at home. I possess a high end AV system without matching speakers! Instead I spent that money to buy two pairs of high end wireless headphones. May be an extreme case, eh?
Old 8th May 2007, 14:55   #38
Team-BHP Support

Till recently, I never used the horn on my bike. that's because it stopped working.

However, as much as I hate it, it really is the best safety device that exists on Mumbai roads till date.
Old 8th May 2007, 15:01   #39
Team-BHP Support

Same pinch, Rtech. My bike's battery has drained out, and so no horn for me. Learnt to anticipate other fellow road-users actions more better now, since i cant honk at them anymore.

Must say though, it really is required.
Old 8th May 2007, 15:29   #40
BHPian

I didnt honk all morning in my ride to work.

Also just went on a test drive of a colleague's old zen (95 carb model) and didnt want to honk, but a guy was driving (probably whispering sweet nothings to his lady passenger and was) in the middle of a less used road and i honked. (What use is a test drive if you cant go fast?)

Superavi
Old 8th May 2007, 16:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Till recently, I never used the horn on my bike. that's because it stopped working.

However, as much as I hate it, it really is the best safety device that exists on Mumbai roads till date.
It is such a handicap on city roads. Happened to me as well when my bike's battery went kaput & i had to replace it. It was a terrible 3 months before i got my horn back. appuchan, it is nice that you feel this way, but it is certainly not safe in india, i hope you are aware of that as well, apart from the fact that you would reach your destination later by 30% of the commute time.
Old 8th May 2007, 16:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

The worst noise polluters can be found in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-my-swift.html
spadival is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2007, 17:24   #43
BHPian

Thats a very nice initiative not to blow horn, but in mad rush of Delhi, specially in the peak hours its very difficyult.

And it is so because there are tonnes of bikers and blue line bus drivers, who mistake the horn to be the accelerator...

and you have to use the horn to warn the other driver who ridiculously jumps in and out of his lane into yours...that this lane is unavailable for them for the moment.

with not using horns..Lets Just use it on the defensive not offensive
Old 8th May 2007, 18:16   #44
BHPian

In my case, I honk very less, but the patience factor is with other people expecting you to fly over other vehicles when the signal turns green. I mean, I have lost it so many times! I have had to stop, get down and ask the person behind (still honking!) to show me how to go ahead. The reactions are usually that of a baffled driver who stops honking. But, generally, the driving etiquettes are bad in bangalore. Sigh, the driving schools need to teach people driving etiquettes along with usage of common sense when on road!
HellwratH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2007, 19:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Really appreciate what you are doing, Appuchan. Commendable, given that noise pollution is on the rise. Something to be appreciated.

My bike horn doesn't work and thus have not used it for years. Do use the car horn, but only when required. Would like to eliminate total use of the horn, but with some psychos insisting on driving/riding in the fast lane at 30kmph, can't avoid it altogether.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks