Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2007, 23:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up, msprabhakar. I hope that many more can emulate you.

Honking is the last refuge of a bad driver .
Old 13th May 2007, 23:53   #77
Senior - BHPian

Another trip today for 25 kms without the horn. i am beginning to go crazy. i dont think i have contributed in any way to lessening the noise pollution.
Old 14th May 2007, 14:55   #78
BHPian

Many drops make up the ocean. Keep trying EL...
Old 17th May 2007, 01:30   #79
BHPian

If people behaved, we would have much less need for horns. But they don't, so we do.

It is a good thing not to bang on the horn in a traffic jam. (Hitting the horn won't make the car ahead go faster if everybody is jammed.)

But you still need to use the horn when making turns where there are no lights. It's not as if we have stop signs, and everybody is going to take their turn at an residential intersection. People expect horns to alert them that a car is coming.
Old 17th May 2007, 12:43   #80
BHPian

Interesting thread. I have not found the need to press the horn more than twice or so, in the last eight months. One exception I make is when driving in ghat roads, I honk before taking a steep turn as vehicles driving down hardly make a noise and you dont see them.

When things get busy in front of me, I prefer to wait a few seconds more. It usually clears up or it is some issue my frentic honking would not change one bit.

I intend to continue this policy.
ggkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2007, 13:51   #81
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see so many tbhpians following the policy of no honking. I do try to follow it as far as i can and honk more like an abuse when someone cuts across or just jumps in fromt of my car or on winding roads /blind turns...but yeah here(in India ) its more like the case of "Honk ..if you hate noise pollution " )
Old 17th May 2007, 14:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Hmmmmm. I would not be able to drive without the horn. I DON'T honk in traffic. But I can't take a 90 degree turn in the back/inner roads of our city or the suburbs without honking once.

My honk = "honk" or a max of a "honk, honk" on turns known to be dangerous. I don't lean on my horn and have no respect for those who do -- especially in city traffic where honking is of no use. I don't honk in "no horn" areas like those near hospitals or similar places.

But I really think it is safer (for me and for other fellow motorists who are turning towards me) to honk before getting onto a main road from a side-road, or before taking a 90 degree turn (however slow it may be). Maybe it is because I've had quite a few bad experiences (right from my 2-wheeler days) at turns (people who just have to take the turn without letting go of the accelerator), but I cannot take even a slow turn without honking/warning once. I feel horns are useful when used judiciously as a proactive warning device (and not as a "Get outta my way, you b@$****d" device).

Last edited by hydrashok : 17th May 2007 at 14:19.
Old 17th May 2007, 16:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Another trip today for 25 kms without the horn. i am beginning to go crazy. i dont think i have contributed in any way to lessening the noise pollution.
appuchan, influenced us a lot. Whenever I travel alone, two things keep me entertained.

1. Drive without honking ( do only when its a must)
2. Gear shifts within 1750 rpm's (not that iam worried about FE, but driving that way is quiet interesting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
I've now installed a bigger horn, and the noise intrudes quite a bit into the cabin. So I've less incentive to honk now; and when I really want to, I know that I'll be heard
Same here. Atleast twice I had been questioned whether the horn is to alert the passengers of a possible braking situation

Fixed it last evening

Last edited by Surprise : 17th May 2007 at 16:47.
Old 17th May 2007, 16:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

A trip to the mechanic today & yet my horn is still not fixed. i am begininng to wonder if it is the appuchan curse. i get so frustrated & idiotic when i cant move an inch when i see a 2 wheeler wala in front of me happily talking on his cellphone & riding having no idea of where he is.
Old 18th May 2007, 19:51   #85
BHPian

Hats off to you appuchan & its an intersting thread. its a lovely dream which we can make a reality in city traffic. (A city with no honk sound at all....ahh.....)

But still I feel its an important accessory in certain driving conditions like ghats roads or narrow roads, with the current driving habits of an average indian driver.
Old 18th May 2007, 22:19   #86
BHPian

EL, I never curse anybody! Good to see so many people trying to reduce honking. One thing is certain, there is always scope to cut down 95% of your honking and reserve the 5% only for emergency situations and while driving on winding ghat roads.

However there is absolutely no case to use horn while driving in the night unless your headlights are not functioning or you are on an emergency.
Old 19th May 2007, 00:33   #87
BHPian

The reason that honking the horn is done as a matter of course (instead of just for emergencies) is that people don't stop at uncontrolled intersections, unlike developed countries. People want to go from their house to their destination without coming to a full stop.

Hence the need for the horn to announce your presence or entry into an intersection. Especially, e.g., in residential areas, where the corner of a house or wall could extend to the street, blocking sight of turning traffic.

Now, you could say, that you'll stop and you don't need to blow a horn, but that still doesn't mean that anybody else knows you are there, and if they don't hear a horn, they'll assume it's clear to turn. Resulting in an accident.

So, as long as Indians don't stop at uncontrolled intersections (i.e., anywhere without a traffic light), the horn is necessary.
Old 19th May 2007, 20:02   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
...Honking is the last refuge of a bad driver...
Thank you spadival for supporting... I'm really surprised at the number of posts that express inability to drive without honking.

I'm aware of at least one law in Michigan state that says horn honking is an extreme emergency action that should never be done for reasons unrelated to road safety. In countries like Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Austria, generations of people have grown up without ever having to hear the sound of a car horn. I've driven, still drive and enjoy driving on Indian roads without ever having to honk. Honking is just an instinct of insecure drivers, which serves no useful purpose. Just think about this... While you walk on a busy street (or Dadar railway platform at 6:30 p.m. on a normal weekday), do you yell at people in front of you, or do you learn to manoeuvre around? Just try to practice driving without ever honking... you'll be pleasantly surprised, I bet!
Old 19th May 2007, 20:21   #89
BHPian

As far as I know, nobody really expects you to honk. Atleast I have not come across a situation like that. But, people do expect you to be careful even if they themselves are not! And they do abuse others for the same reason.

With respect to "honking for announcing your presence", that too in a residential area, I would term this as ignorance of rules and arrogance and not as a safety measure. If you watch and proceed in intersections and remain within your lane, you are as safe as you could be. But honking cant make you any safer. Incase others are not observing basic rules, even honking will not help. Just think it from the angle of a pedestrian crossing the road in a junction. Does he keep shouting about his presence? He just expects, hopes and prays that no driver will run over him!

Probably you may be aware that in most countries including India its legal for deaf people to drive. This does not necessarily make them any less safe. Good vision and a balanced mind is what is minimum expected of any driver. msprabhakar mentioned earlier that the best way to practice this is to assume that all others are deaf and driver accordingly.

Again, I am not advocating banning honking. Just reduce it, atleast by 95%. Thats it!

Last edited by appuchan : 19th May 2007 at 20:35.
Old 19th May 2007, 20:31   #90
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprise
Gear shifts within 1750 rpm's (not that iam worried about FE, but driving that way is quiet interesting)
Care to explain the bold words? You learnt to be a lot more patient. You tend to observe the mistakes others make. Its like sitting back and relaxing without worrying about avoiding traffic trying to zip past you, or trying to fight for that free spot. Sorry for going totally OT.

However coming to topic, I too have this habit. Of not honking, I have heard quite a few curses from my friends saying I should honk while overtaking etc. But as long as you are careful and have good anticipation its a lesser worry. Besides honking is very irritating to the ears.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 19th May 2007 at 20:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks