Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 20:02   #46
Team-BHP Support

Just did an observation and recommended for other to realize the issue here.

Went and stood outside the office (Jakkasandra JN, Sarjapur connection rd from Koramangala) for a fag break (fag not recommended), every 2 to 3 seconds one can hear glaring horns!!

This at 8 pm, i for one resort to very rapid flashing while driving at night and horn is used as almost the last resort.

Most of these honkings that i observed now are unnecessary and could be avoided!!

I think i will also give this a try, appuchan you already have a convert to your credit.
Old 8th May 2007, 21:55   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd feel handicap without a horn. Like most of them said, in india, it is a safety feature that you just cannot do with out. There are lot of morons on the street in deep thoughts of their personal problems and driving either slow or in middle of the road whom you have to rudely awaken from their thoughts

However, we should try our best to unnessary honk just to get the pleasure of our ROOTS !!!!!
Old 9th May 2007, 07:32   #48
BHPian

Appuchan. Thank you for this commendable decision and more importantly for raising this issue. I think what is required is awareness. Most of us have become so used to honking that we don't realise the nuisance we create. Though sometimes, honking is essential for safety reasons I feel that a few of us misuse this 90% of the times. What I'm glad about, is that its only a small %age of us who actually misuse this facility. At any given point, if you observe the number of vehicles in the vicinity, you will notice that only 5 - 10% of people are actually honking. Imagine the cacophony if everyone were honking at the same time. It is usually the illiterate and people who don't understand civic-sense who honk needlessly. These idiots becuase they have purchased a small bike or car feel that they own the road and want to tel everyone - Move, the king has arrived. They don't realise that they actually look quite stupid doing it. What irritates me the most is when they come to a peaceful neighbourhood and honk indiscriminately to call their friends down! In the US this is a punishable offence but here sab chalta hai. It is people like you who make the difference and by slowly educating these illiterate guys, someday soon this will have an effect. Don't be discouraged by others who are not convinced. They don't matter. If each of us believers can educate two persons and if that person carries on the chain, imagine what India can become. Keep up the good work.
Old 9th May 2007, 10:18   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
In my case, I honk very less, but the patience factor is with other people expecting you to fly over other vehicles when the signal turns green.

But, generally, the driving etiquettes are bad in bangalore.
I agree with you here. The cabbies in particular think that the more they blow their horn the easier it becomes for them to fly over the rest of the traffic. I was totally irritated by one such cabbie on a Qualis that i braked thrice to show him i wasnt going to fall for his stupid behaviour. Needless to say, the honking stopped in due time. Hosur road is the worst road to be driving on.
Old 9th May 2007, 11:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

When I come across horn addicts on the road, I deliberately slow down and block them off for a few seconds, just to annoy them more. Eventually they quiten down.
spadival is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2007, 11:08   #51
BHPian

Hi,

I too hate loud noises on road and the drivers who honk for no treasons.But disconnecting wires is too dangerous.You can limit your habbit of honking by increasing patience.

Also,if you are driving in ghat sections honking is utmost important while you are approaching a hair-pin bend,because it is the only way by which you can let the person in other vehicle from opposite direction know about you,as on such turns there is know scope of visualising the vehicle coming from other direction.

So,I am partially in favour of no-honking .In Pune we have to honk a lot or else six seaters and bikers will never allow you any side to pass and you overtake from left it will be violation of traffic rules..right?
Old 10th May 2007, 13:56   #52
Team-BHP Support

Raja, he has specifically mentioned that he resisted from using horns for the past one year in Bangalore city, and not in any ghat regions. A welcome initiative from his part, I'd say. However, even i am not in favor of him disconnecting the wires.
Old 10th May 2007, 14:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

There are plenty of places even in cities where you desparately need to honk if you have to avoid an accident. Showing restraint should be enough.

I will give you an example.
What if you are waiting in a busy traffic signal & the moron cabbie in front forgets to engage the parking brake & the SUMO slides backward at your car. what would you do ? get out of the car & shout with all your might ???
Be reasonable folks, most of us are aware of the nuisance of sound, but that does not mean you have to endanger yourself or your car for that.
cheers
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2007, 14:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i for one resort to very rapid flashing while driving at night and horn is used as almost the last resort.
No offence but I personally think honking is preferable by far to flashing - especially the rapid kind! I really hate drivers who come up behind and blind me with their headlights. Reeks of extreme arrogance and I do everything I can to block them.
Old 10th May 2007, 14:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

And mostly resorted to only by cabbies & buses & trucks. There is nothing wrong in using your horn as a gentle reminder to the person in front. It is just like talking, if you talk too loud & unnecessarily, thats a problem, but if you refuse to talk or even go the extreme to cut off your tongue(read as disconnecting wires), something is wrong there too. Speak softly without irritating others & shout when you HAVE to.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2007, 15:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I used to have big noisy "Bosch" horn (the ones installed on the front bumber) on my old Amby in addition to an imported "musical air-horn" which I used to drive years ago. I was very proud of that! I enjoyed scaring bikes and autos with it. Now its a full circle!
Kudos to you efforts to be a "NO-Horn" man. The more you drive, the more sober you become. I am sure you have some serious miles behind you. Or is it experience that comes with age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
No offence but I personally think honking is preferable by far to flashing - especially the rapid kind! I really hate drivers who come up behind and blind me with their headlights. Reeks of extreme arrogance and I do everything I can to block them.
What irritates most is when someone resorts to honking/flashing lights where there is no real overtaking opportunity. Whenever I see a faster car approaching from behind, I make it a point to give way (In fact, my wife complains that I spend more time looking at the three RW mirrors than looking at the road ahead)

You should see buses in TN running with headlights on all day. I used to hate them so badly. Then I started switching on my 100W headlights the moment I see anyone with headlights on, just to convey "Agreed you have 2....Then mine is bigger"

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 10th May 2007 at 15:51.
Old 11th May 2007, 17:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Raja, he has specifically mentioned that he resisted from using horns for the past one year in Bangalore city, and not in any ghat regions. A welcome initiative from his part, I'd say. However, even i am not in favor of him disconnecting the wires.
The wire were disconnected only for the first month. After which it is connected back and it is perfect working condition. This was done only to get it started. Now I am perfectly ok. I need to use them only as a "Brahmastra"!
Old 11th May 2007, 17:43   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
There are plenty of places even in cities where you desparately need to honk if you have to avoid an accident. Showing restraint should be enough.

I will give you an example.
What if you are waiting in a busy traffic signal & the moron cabbie in front forgets to engage the parking brake & the SUMO slides backward at your car. what would you do ? get out of the car & shout with all your might ???
Be reasonable folks, most of us are aware of the nuisance of sound, but that does not mean you have to endanger yourself or your car for that.
cheers
I am not trying to say that I will not use horn under "any" circumstance. As I have mentioned if I go out of city, it will be required since it is expected. But not it city were vehicles move bumper-2-bumper.

It is just that, for me, I had not come across a "moron" in front who did not use his brakes or hand-brakes appropriately so far in the last one year. So its also about providence.
Old 11th May 2007, 17:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
It is just that, for me, I had not come across a "moron" in front who did not use his brakes or hand-brakes appropriately so far in the last one year. So its also about providence.

Yeah, i gave that example because i faced that more than a couple of times & ended up landing my fist into his nose.
Old 11th May 2007, 18:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
And mostly resorted to only by cabbies & buses & trucks. There is nothing wrong in using your horn as a gentle reminder to the person in front. It is just like talking, if you talk too loud & unnecessarily, thats a problem, but if you refuse to talk or even go the extreme to cut off your tongue(read as disconnecting wires), something is wrong there too. Speak softly without irritating others & shout when you HAVE to.
Its a personal choice after all.

Well, relating honking with talking is debatable since how we behave in person and how we behave while inside a vehicle are very different. For example, when you walk in a crowded street, do you keep talking/shouting to others around you that you are coming? You normally try to be with the natural flow of the people unless you are in a hurry. In such case, you can imagine how noisy the Brigade road will be on a Saturday evening

Another thing is that there is normally no option to "honk softly". It always sound the same way irrespective of how did you "mean it" to sound.

Regarding disconnecting wires, I dont know why people keep reading only that part and not about re-conneting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks