Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 18:19   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
...Another thing is that there is normally no option to "honk softly". It always sound the same way irrespective of how did you "mean it" to sound...
May be the duration can be controlled:
a very short one: warn/notify other road users
a medium one: express displeasure/warn about possible difficult situation
a long one: -banned-
Old 11th May 2007, 18:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

well put msdivy.

Quote:
Another thing is that there is normally no option to "honk softly". It always sound the same way irrespective of how did you "mean it" to sound.

'HONK' or a 'Honk Honk' is gentle honking.

'HONNNNKKKKKKKKKKK' or 'HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK' is pure melody to the ears, you can even start dancing to some of those honk tunes if you know what i mean.

Quote:
Regarding disconnecting wires, I dont know why people keep reading only that part and not about re-conneting

Well, it is because you dont have to reconnect it, if you hadn't disconnected it in the first place.
Old 11th May 2007, 19:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Appuchan, you made me to watch down how frequent I honk & cut at few instances where it's not required acutally

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
You should see buses in TN running with headlights on all day.
Read somewhere in the forum that driving with headlight on during the day time is a must or preferable or not illegal. I guess it was mentioned by Rtech in one of his posts about his experience with traffic cop with his two-wheeler
Old 11th May 2007, 20:42   #64

i am living without a horn for the past 3 days in bombay, a damn wire has been cut off, courtesy a RAT!!

AgentOO7
Old 11th May 2007, 22:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yeah, i gave that example because i faced that more than a couple of times & ended up landing my fist into his nose.
Resist from such moves as you dont know what there in store sometimes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
This evening I was on Taramani-Velachery road caught in mid of huge traffic (thanks to DMK for their function at Island grounds). I was on the left hand side of the road & as time passed, there were rows on either side. A beautiful black Baleno was in front of my car. A Mahindra van while attempting to move forward, scratched the rear door of Baleno.

Driver of Baleno got down and argued with the driver of the van, why he was driving so rash that too on RHS, causing more hindrance to the flow of the traffic. This guy was well built & as heated arguments went a step ahead and the first blow to the van driver was from Baleno driver.

I was really shocked on what followed later. Two guys got down from the van & the driver was hit without mercy using iron rods. He was bleeding profusely. The saddest part was his wife and kids were crying standing next to him. Atlast public intercepted and stopped them from henious act. I was really shaken on what had happened in front of my eyes. This is the second time I had seen that small issue end up in such way (the first one being even worser with knives in place)
Old 12th May 2007, 00:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, you are absolutely right. i don't plan on taking out my car tomorrow as there will be a lot of morons & uncouth members of our society loafing the streets drunk & not knowing what to do. anything can happen in those situations.

Quote:
Resist from such moves as you dont know what there in store sometimes.
But I think i can handle that surprise, Surprise & after all i would not be so stupid as to argue with anyone when i am driving with my kids in the car. not only the dangers of me getting hurt, but as a father, i do not intend to expose my kids to such things & i never will. (don corleone style)
Old 12th May 2007, 18:15   #67
BHPian

Its great that people are atleast giving it a try to reduce honking. All the best to all of you. It is not that difficult once you get used to it. I used to really feel irritated when even private car drivers honk mercilessly straight infront of hospitals and schools inspite of there being a notice against it.It is surprising to see such 'illiterates' even in Silicon city where most of these guys travel abroad very frequently and are aware what good street manners is.

I used to think, how much money can the Bangalore Traffic Police make if they decide to be a little more strict regarding traffic rules. It will easily run into lacs in a single day. And they will have enough money to implement a comprehensive automated traffic management system in a few months. They need not even stop the car for collecting fine. Just take a snap and send a copy of the pic with challan to his address. Also insurance premiums should be linked to traffic violations.
Old 12th May 2007, 18:18   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
i am living without a horn for the past 3 days in bombay, a damn wire has been cut off, courtesy a RAT!!

AgentOO7
"Chooha bhi samachhdaar hai"
Old 12th May 2007, 18:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They need not even stop the car for collecting fine. Just take a snap and send a copy of the pic with challan to his address
A similar scheme is being implemented in Pune,the difference being no snap is taken but a cop just sends the challan to the address the vehicle is registered.

The issue is being discussed in the local newspapers with people claiming lots of people don't bother to update the addresses and these challan's would never reach the intended people.Also number of people stay in rented homes and are gypsies in their own way.What happens to out of state vehicles.Also this system may actually not penalize the driver of the vehicle but would penalize the owner of the vehicle.Lots of interesting debates in this regard in the local newspaper.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 12th May 2007 at 18:25.
Old 12th May 2007, 20:23   #70
BHPian

Hey appuchan... Sorry for joining this thread so late!

Congratulations... and I'm so glad that you've stuck to your resolve (no honk policy) for over a year! You've company here, mate... I've never honked once in my life ever (excepting maybe to test while taking delivery of vehicles). I've driven cars and two-wheelers on Indian roads for decades... but have never once honked or even felt the need to, believe me I'm 100% honest. I've a strange background to this (very proud) habit and I hope you'll bear with me for the rather long story...

Several decades back-- 1970, to be precise, when I was a 13-year old boy-- I was riding a bicycle in Nagercoil, the headquarters of Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu. The vehicular traffic in those days was hardly anything to write about but people in Nagercoil were used to hogging the roads while walking. For those who know Nagercoil, it's a small town with steep, winding roads. One evening, I was bicycling down the steepest stretch, furiously ringing the hand-bell "cring-cring". As I entered a narrow stretch near the clock tower junction, a particularly adamant "Mid-Road Walker" (let's call him Mr MRW, who was in his mid-40s) was refusing to give me way. I kept furiously ringing the bell and he simply refused to even acknowledge... well for a few seconds. Then, in filmy style, he turned round, unfolded and folded his dhoti back, grabbed the handle bar of my cycle with his left hand and gave me a slap that turned the lights off me ***... When I woke up about a minute later, I found Mr MRW staring down at me. I lived in Nagercoil for another 2 years. Never once did I have the courage to ring the cycle bell again, fearing that Mr MRWwould be lurking somewhere around! Instead, I became an expert at manoeuvring around people and objects even in the busiest of places. My habit continued till I passed out of IIT Madras in 1979. Since then, I've driven more evolved vehicles, but my imaginary fear for Mr MRW is embedded into my id (Thank you Mr MRW, wherever you are!).

I have visited countries at different levels of evolution of civilisation (as far as driving goes). Yet, till date I've never had the urge to honk even once, whenever, wherever. I'm known in my circles to be a very, very fast driver... and even today, I daresay, very few can take me on in a drag race. Yet, I never, ever honk. I work for a reputed MNC proud about its core values. Several years back, each one of us had to undergo a standardised defensive driving course. As part of the course, we also had go through a mandatory Commentary Drive with my immediate supervisor in presence of a Defensive Driving instructor. At the end of the commentary drive, my boss had nothing adverse to report, so commented: "Need to learn more frequent use of horn". I commented back in writing: "Honking is uncivilised, hence will not practise this habit".

Notwithstanding Mr MRW, a fundamental philosophy is at the core of my driving habits. I believe that every mobile form of life has a right of way on this planet over every mobile form of machine, no matter what the road signs may say, no matter whether the road is public or private. Once this philosophy is hard-wired into your brain, driving becomes naturally civilised and supremely enjoyable. Use your skills at manoeuvring, braking, anticipation and acceleration, but never, ever honk. If you believe that an accident could be avoided by honking, avoid it by alternate means. Horn is not a substitute for defensive driving skills or attitude. The only exception when you should honk is when an accident is inevitable and you should honk to mitigate (as opposed to avoid) the effect of the accident. Many people, especially in India, believe that sporty driving and defensive techniques don't go together. If you ever get a chance, observe the normal city driving skills of Michael Schumaker or Alonso...

Take this message: Honking is uncivilised, no matter what the local rule book will say. If you want to differentiate yourself from the uncivilised lot, stop honking for ever-- not even the occasional tap. Start by believing that all mobile forms of life on road are 100% DEAF. I bet you'll be surprised when you realise (like appuchan did) how easy it is to practise... Just do it!
msprabhakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2007, 22:09   #71
BHPian

Wow, msprabhakar, thats an amazing story. I am not sure if I can be like you for the ROML. Anyway, you have a reason for practicing this. And you have depicted the "no horn philisophy" so strongly and nicely. I think I dont owe any more explanation here on this topic.
Old 12th May 2007, 22:40   #72
BHPian

Quote:
...I am not sure if I can be like you for the ROML...
You certainly can for the ROYL, appuchan, if you don't cuss and shout at others ahead of you while walking in a hurry, for example, at a busy marketplace. The difference in attitude while walking or driving is only in your mind. All the best... keep it up... may your tribe increase!
Old 13th May 2007, 00:27   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hey appuchan, i had a similar experience to yours today when i took my family for an outing. all of a sudden my horn fails & i had to use every inch of my patience to drive through the traffic, which i did succesfully & was always thinking of appuchan. But on the way back, a MTC bus which was on my right suddenly decided to halt at the bus stop which he had already passed & swerved to the left. I couldn't use the horn to make him aware that i was on his left & there were a sea of people to my left. It was a miracle that a few people in the bus spotted my car & screamed to the driver to stop, otherwise my car would have been seriously damaged & a few pedestrians could have been hurt as well. This was one of a kind of experience in my 20 years of driving.

Please please drive safe & use your horn judiciously.
Old 13th May 2007, 14:46   #74
BHPian

EL, thanks for thinking about me Its really an exercise of restraint for your brain, especially in peak hour traffic. Hope your experience will make you feel stronger to practice this virtue.

But do get the horn repaired soon. As I have mentioned earlier, it could be used like a "Brahmastra".
Old 13th May 2007, 18:00   #75
BHPian

Well my horn died on me sometime back too, and I sadly learnt that honking is a reflex now; no driving without it. It's almost like driving without brakes.

Solution:
I've now installed a bigger horn, and the noise intrudes quite a bit into the cabin. So I've less incentive to honk now; and when I really want to, I know that I'll be heard

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks