Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 07:32   #106
BHPian

Menace of Horn Blowing

Every sensible driver on the roads in our cities must be aware of this menace. I find it extremenly difficult to understand why perfectly normal, let alone Auto and taxi drivers, even educated and well employed people driving expensive cars, are so fond of keeping thier hands on that spot in their vehicle which creates maximum amount of shrill noise which increases the already high level of noise pollution on our roads. Horns were built into vehicles to warn pedestrians and co drivers that a vehicle is approaching them. It is understandable to use it to draw attention. But to use the horn even when one knows that the person is no position to give way because of traffic ahead, is sheer lack of common sense. And I think, we Indians excel in this art of creating maximum noise pollution.

Now it is time that some body tries to educate citizens about this menace. I tried doing something in this regard. I started telling drivers at traffic junctions to not use horn. But what I got was sconrnful looks. I thought of getting some stickers printed which read -'Use Brake and Common Sense. Not Horn. Avoid Noise pollution' and try to distribute it, so that people can stick this on the back of thier vehicles. But when I asked a few auto fellows and some car drivers, if they can put such sticker on the back of their vehicles, they just laughed and said NO. Their logic was simple. 'If I don't use horn, how will I be able to overtake?' Out of disgust, I just discarded the idea.

But on second thoughts, I think it is a good idea, but only needs to be pursued at a much larger scale. Can TEAM-BHP do something about it? May be Team-BHP can print such stickers and get it distributed through street urchins at all traffic junctions, requesting to paste it on their vehicles. The sticker could also have TEAM-BHP printed on it , so that it works as free advertisement also. Or can some NGO take it up? Are there any BHPians who are interested? May be some corporates would be interested in sponsoring this? May be, Having a famouns name on the sticker may reduce resistance among drivers to stick this sticker on their vehicle!

I know , putting up a sticker is not going to change mentality of people. But awareness is the key and this is one way of starting an awareness campaign.If nobody does anything about this menace, how is the menace going to subside? Anyone willing to join hands?
KG
ankura12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2007, 11:32   #107
Team-BHP Support

Aah.. i was thinking of reviving this thread, based on the latest experience i had yesterday while riding to work.

I have been riding the bike to work and back these days, following the accident to my car. Somehow, i feel a lot more relaxed biking, and with the slow moving traffic around, safety is not majorly compromised too. I was on the Brookfields main road, in front of Cosmos Mall, and i come across an Ikon 1.6 which was being driven by a very well-dressed IT professional. His car too was in pristine condition, and i was impressed. However, something about his driving wanted me to smack the life outta him. He had this weird habit whereby he honks for almost every 2 metres he drives. Also, his honking wasnt restricted to just one jab. It went as 1-2-3 1-2. This was so religiously done that i seriously wished i rode my bike right into his car, and the confines of it. Sanity prevailed however, and i didnt indulge in the same.

Decided, rather than put some gyaan into that pea-sized brain of his, in a rather well-maintained body i go on with my day. Not that he was going to pay heed anyways.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:00   #108
BHPian

I had some discussions with some of my friends, most of who have the habit of keeping one hand/finger permanently on the horn and pressing it once every few seconds. One of them starts doing it right from the office parking lot and keeps it going till he switches off the engine in his apt basement parking. I asked him to take a count during his entire 15 km trip, and he says it will be easily a few hundreds!

Looks like to me that most of the honking they do happens out of 'sheer habituation' than any real need. One was even telling me that he felt some sort of uneasiness if he did not honk for more than a minute, irrespective of the need! He gets an overwhelming urge to make his presence felt in the road. I think same is the case with taxi drivers who will start honking from a mile ahead of a vehicle even in an otherwise empty road.

So just like kicking smoking, think it requires some sort of self discipline initially. Its not just about reducing noise pollution, it also helps one to have a calmer mind with good patience.

Last edited by appuchan : 21st June 2007 at 12:03.
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:55   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
i come across an Ikon 1.6 which was being driven by a very well-dressed IT professional. His car too was in pristine condition, and i was impressed. However, something about his driving wanted me to smack the life outta him. He had this weird habit whereby he honks for almost every 2 metres he drives. Also, his honking wasnt restricted to just one jab. It went as 1-2-3 1-2.

Most Ikon drivers who work in IT companies are like that. I know another one.
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:12   #110
BHPian

Without Horn that too in B'lore for 1 year, THAT'S UNBELIEVABLE, but hast off to you if u have done it. What car do u drive?
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:36   #111
BHPian

I am in Bangalore and rarely use horn,

When someone is giving me Horn for no reason - i give them my middle finger.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:33   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Hi,

In my apartment there are people who use loud horns even in basement parking at midnight! Forget some of the horrendous reverse horns.

How true my friend, nothing tortures one like the reverse horn does. especially in the basement where it tends to echo. the people who have got it dont have the sense to switch it off where it is not necessary(dont know if its possible) i think they think reverse horn will push the walls behind, if they have to get too close to it

May god give those morons some brain.
Old 23rd June 2007, 05:52   #113
BHPian

Glad to know there are others...

I am a new member here and discovered this thread by chance, when moderators put my first message in this thread. I discovered team-BHP when I was researching for information on UVA/Palio 1.6.

I am very glad to know that there are other people who think like me when it comes to usage of horns on our roads. I have been driving my bike/car on Bangalore roads for years and years without using the horn. I try avoid using the horn within city limits.

But on occassions one is forced to use the horn. Like other day when I was waiting for green signal at Cauvery theatre traffic signal , the vehicle in front of me started moving backwards, on that steep slope. I had to blow the horn continuously to wake up that driver.

But on highways I do use horn if my sixth sense tells me that the driver of the truck in front may not have observed my vehicle.
Old 29th November 2007, 11:56   #114
BHPian

Any new joinees to the tribe ? I have past 20 months now, without horn in Bengaluru city.

Had to use horn in remote areas on highways, hilly roads and for animals in road. Still waiting for somebody to "roll back" into my car from front, to use horn in city
Old 29th November 2007, 13:58   #115
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday got stuck in Powai when I took a short cut. The road was barely wide for a tempo to go thru and there was a trailer coming thru. So I waited for him to pass - meanwhile a software company bus comes to a stop behind me.

The trailer is struggling and I wait patiently - suddenly after 2 mins the bus behind me starts honking -those shrilly power horns. Once , twice , thrice - I loose it - get down from the car and walk up to the guy and ask him how will he manage to go if I remove the car - the trailer was stuck in the gap.

He sheepishly agrees to what I say.

Honking is a habit and I have seen people driving in the middle lane at 40 kmph on open roads with no other car in sight for 5 kms honking away !!
Old 29th November 2007, 14:20   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Honking is a habit and I have seen people driving in the middle lane at 40 kmph on open roads with no other car in sight for 5 kms honking away !!
Very common for some dudes who ride Pulsars and have the loud horn on it.

P.S. : I ride a Pulsar as well but with no working horn.
Old 14th June 2008, 13:50   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Tales of driving without horn/honking in Bangalore for a week

Friends,

For some reason the horn of my S10 has given away completely(Actually, the horn started to 'fade' away -- in a sense the sound started becoming faint and then more faint till it finally gave away) and I have been forced to drive in peak hour Bangalore traffic without honking.

After driving without a horn more than a week, I thought of sharing my experiences/observations here.

My driving style is quite spirited and I do accelerate & brake hard(I would prefer enjoying my drive rather than worry about FE). However, at the same time, I am NOT a rash driver and I respect fellow road users also. I do use the horn pretty often -- mostly as a 'beep-beep' to just let the person in front, pedestrians know of my presence.
  • In day time, I had no option so had to wait till that auto, bus, car and at times even pedestrians would move. However, i realized that even if my horn would have been working and I had honked even then the person, the car, the auto would not have moved and it would take them same time to move if I honk or not.
  • In night time, I used to toggle between High/Low beam and in nearly 7 out of 10 cases it worked -- believe me, it worked even for auto's , cars etc. However, it was a different case altogether with pedestrians as the high/low beam toggle didn't work at all with them.
  • I found myself to be more 'focused' while driving without altering my driving style. I was more aware of everything on the road -- the pedestrians, the vegetable vendors, that parked bus and watching for some kid/person to suddenly appear from behind it, that auto cyclists, practically everything. It was like my 'scope' of vision had improved and I was becoming aware of aspects that I would have ignored in the past.
  • There were hilarious moments also where at few traffic junctions I found myself blocked by a 'single pedastrian' who had wandered into the middle of the junction waiting for a bus. The expression on his face and that of fellow people was of amazement -- of 'why wasn't I honking'? and I could only manage a smile.
  • Even though I knew that my horn wasn't working, I found myself still pressing the horn at times -- hoping that it would work and that moron would move.
In short, I have found that neither did it take me any longer to reach my destination nor did my driving style alter. At the same time, I am missing my horn and the instantaneous 'reflex action' of honking
Old 14th June 2008, 14:01   #118
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: thread merged.
Old 14th June 2008, 17:45   #119
Senior - BHPian

Horning is one of the easiest thing to do for people, we are here talking about people using horn on rad stupidly! But past few months i noticed that people use it for...

Getting the gate opened, yea near to my place there are couple of apartments in which some sensible janta resides... these guys dont want to get out of thier car and open the gate instead they honk madly till the watchman opens...dont mind if its late at night...

I wonder if they have anything called common sense.....
Old 15th June 2008, 00:12   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Any new joinees to the tribe ? I have past 20 months now, without horn in Bengaluru city.

Had to use horn in remote areas on highways, hilly roads and for animals in road. Still waiting for somebody to "roll back" into my car from front, to use horn in city
Appuchan, very interesting to hear you continuing!.

I have driven 1 evening in IT highway @ chennai ... I drove a distance of about 4 km without braking. It was 8 pm and there was still medium level traffic on that road with the IT company buses trying to bully me and other traffic on the road. I managed only with anticipatory acceleration and gear braking. The trip took maybe 5 minutes more than my normal drive (total drive time 4o-45 min). I can still vouch that, it was one of my relaxed driving days.

Generally, I try to honk only to scold... never to create way. If I anticipate that another motorist is going to cut me or after cutting me, i do honk...
Rarely, I do make some trips without honking.. (I dont conciously count - but i remember my nephew asking my wife - why i am not honking!) But havent tried to continue it 100%.

For those who debate that its impossible... I recount this.
In 1995-9x.. Chennai Metro transport (erstwhile Pallavan) used to have siren horns. They used to honk, scare the motorist and create their own road. Then a ruling came... All siren horns were removed forcibly from the buses and they were given only air horn with much less muted sound.
There was a hue and cry... but its working till now. I would say - compared to those days MTC buses are better today.

If only we remove all the horns (and somehow disable the flicking headlights), there will be much better traffic discipline. A thought to ponder! A sincere appeal to the T-BHPians, not to honk for 1 trip.
Trust me - you guys wont regret it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks