Team-BHP - A near miss - Tree almost falls on a Santro (not my car, I was merely a bystander)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   A near miss - Tree almost falls on a Santro (not my car, I was merely a bystander) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/41144-near-miss-tree-almost-falls-santro-not-my-car-i-merely-bystander.html)

Hi!

Just thought this would be an interesting experience to share.

The day before yesterday, (Saturday 14th June 2008) Jenny and I were at Bandra Pali Naka, in Mumbai buying some mithai from Punjab Sweet House for her to take back to Germany.

While we were choosing which Kaju katli to buy, there was a loud groaning sound from outside and a tree fell bang smack in the middle of a busy street. What was amazing was the Santro.
The tree had falled a few inches away from a moving santro and there was damage to it at all! Super-lucky! :thumbs up

The Santro was being driven by a very pretty young lady, who was visibly shaken by the near miss. She stepped out, staring at the tree, white as a ghost, stood there for a few minutes shaking her head and then reversed out. The usual public stood there saying wah kya kismat hai baalbaal bach gayi, etc.

A near miss - Tree almost falls on a Santro (not my car, I was merely a bystander)-dsc_03012_thumb.jpg

Well, that's my story, nothing else really happened, but it's an interesting street experience so I figured I'd share it with you.

Gosh, that was a close shave! Lucky PYT.
Looks like Bombay has lots of falling objects--when I was driving in Chembur area, I pulled over below a fly-over to ask for directions. In a second, I saw a boulder falling from above the fly-over at the spot where my car would have been, but for my stopping. Phew, I was sure lucky!

Ooops!! That was close. Even here in Bangy, driving when it rains is a problem especially since they will be accompanied by winds. Not just whole trees, but you have small branches and twigs falling off trees, which can hurt your car and cause dents. Was once driving on the ring road and bang in front of me fell this big branch from a roadside tree. Luckily, no damage done.

Well My friend's Santro Xing wasnt so lucky but the friend was as the car was parked when the tree fell over(on the first day when it rained in Pune) its rear side, Total expense - 70k :| Life saved - invaluable

The Santro looks damaged anyway!!

The sad thing is, the tree has fallen over some sort of small shop. I feel bad for the owner of that shop if he has suffered some sort of damage to his shop.

Real close shave. Lucky escape no doubt.

Sam, that's a really freak incident to watch first hand. Usually you hear about such incidents from news paper only. Good that no damage was done to the PYT or her car:)

So the 'boys' in Mumbai have some competition -- even the 'trees' are 'falling over' for the PYT's :D

Hows that you have your camera ready always Sam ? Just wondering !

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 867771)
Hows that you have your camera ready always Sam ? Just wondering !

lol, I don't have it on me always.

Jenny asked me to take it as she had no pictures of her trip in Mumbai. It was round my shoulder. When the accident happened, I peeked out of the store, looking at the goings-on.

Jenny said "Go take pictures!" and then I ran out of the shop. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 867714)
...The tree had falled a few inches away from a moving santro and there was damage to it at all! Super-lucky! :thumbs up...

I guess you meant "...there was no damage..." ???

Nice that you shared this with us, Sam : this is refreshing to read, given that we usually get to read about/see pics of beautiful cars totally crushed by falling tress during the rains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 867796)
I guess you meant "...there was no damage..." ???

yeah, lol, a typo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 867796)
we usually get to read about/see pics of beautiful cars totally crushed by falling tress during the rains.

I guess you meant "trees" :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 867812)
beautiful cars totally crushed by falling tress during the rains
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 867812)
I guess you meant "trees" :)

Oops..!!!
Falling tresses couldn't crush cars, maybe other things :)

Whoaa, that was a close save, but the poor car has it's share of scratches/dents already, may be due the PYT's driving;-)

OT : This monsoon was not good for my car also, two weeks back my car's passenger side mirror got broken and a big dent on the door due to a falling tree-trunk and I was poorer by 6.5k , damn !!

wow thats close. i once saw a branch fall of a tree onto the boot of a w124. it luckily didnt get dented too badly.

Close shave. Thank God!
Reminded me of the incident that happened about 12-13 years ago. I was riding back from college at around 35-40 kmph (no helmet on) and there was this turn... as I took the obtuse angled turn, I saw something bounce off the middle of the road, about 30 metres in front of me. Initially I thought it was a volley ball, however was horrified too see a coconut that was flung by the guy sitting atop a very tall coconut tree.. The tree was slanting towards the road but they hadn't made any arrangements to warn the public which is usually the case when they pluck coconuts.

There was no use stopping as such since even a loud shout wouldn't have reached his ears.
Thanked my stars that I wasn't any faster. Speed kills!