Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 18:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This guy (the driver Sivaguru) should be made to attend the funerals of the people whose deaths he has caused, and should see the amount of pain and sense of loss for which he is directly responsible.

Will he ever understand what is the pain and loss. He will just demand more bottles because he saw an unhappy incident.
He should be given death penalty and thats it.
Old 19th June 2008, 18:55   #17
BANNED

Precisely. People have to ask rational questions and act rationally. This can be achieved to some extent by education. I am not sure how death penalty, kill by stoning or showing him (the drunk driver), the misery of the unfortunate family will solve this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
do you realize that time is not a lone factor in deciding how civilized a society is? do you realize that Gandhi who got our nation freedom would be killed the next day in today's india by mafia or politicians if he tried to do "persistence to truth".

you are in for a surprise if you think with time we are always progressing towards a better civilization.

you are trying to portray this as an isolated incident, but look thru TBHP pages and you will realise people have not leernt from hundreds of such incidents. how much longer can we continue to be the victims of such maniac behaviour?
Old 19th June 2008, 19:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Precisely. People have to ask rational questions and act rationally. This can be achieved to some extent by education. I am not sure how death penalty, kill by stoning or showing him (the drunk driver), the misery of the unfortunate family will solve this problem.
Yeah and how about blaming time and day for it? How rational is that? Besides people are only venting out their frustration when they say "stone him" or "hang him"... afterall some of us are civilized.
Old 19th June 2008, 19:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
It was an accident ! Even he could have been killed. But he survived. No way he would have know there was a happy family in other car - you don't judge who is inside the other car and then hit the car.

IMO, he must have cared for his safety (after drinking) and not driven at all.
Quote:
In civilized society yes. Even we are a civilized society too - for more than 3000 odd years.

The issue is driver feels it was not his fault - he has driven many times in that condition and it happened that day. So its that day, that time is the fault. Now that day, that time has passed, nothing changes.

If he is a rational individual, he will ask this question: Could he have altered the result at that day, that time?
Quote:
Confusing views Diabloo. Are you saying that since this was an accident, and this guy had driven drunk before without incident, it was not really his fault? Also, will the sight of the misery of the family give him no remorse? Still you suggest no action against him? Someone who you think will not repent his folly, should not be physically punished but educated? You know what? Some people are insensitive, and can not feel the way most humans do. You think education will have an impact on such grown up, non-impressionable adults? I beg to differ. I am not for capital punishment or stoning, but why not just put this guy behind bars for six months where he will be forced to come out of his alcohol dependence anyway.
Old 19th June 2008, 19:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Very sad incident!

That drunk driver should be hanged!
Death caused by drunken driving should be treated as murder!
Old 19th June 2008, 19:39   #21
BANNED

Few points:
  1. The driver in question is not a rational individual. So he will blame the time for this incident.
  2. When time is the culprit, he will not feel guilty or remorse for this actions, since it was not his fault.
  3. He needs to develop some thinking capacity, so that he could at least think and find out how he could have avoided this incident.
  4. Education will help him. De addiction is also a form of education.
  5. He must realize that since this was an accident, even he could have been killed too.
  6. So he must care for his safety & not drive when he is drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Confusing views Diabloo. Are you saying that since this was an accident, and this guy had driven drunk before without incident, it was not really his fault? Also, will the sight of the misery of the family give him no remorse? Still you suggest no action against him? Someone who you think will not repent his folly, should not be physically punished but educated? You know what? Some people are insensitive, and can not feel the way most humans do. You think education will have an impact on such grown up, non-impressionable adults? I beg to differ. I am not for capital punishment or stoning, but why not just put this guy behind bars for six months where he will be forced to come out of his alcohol dependence anyway.
Old 19th June 2008, 19:40   #22
BHPian

ECR at night is a big NO-NO . Its pretty dangerous once the road median ends after the city limits. So better to take the Tindivanam route at night .

Sad part was that the kid who was killed in the accident had frequently visited chennai for his heart treatement and only this time the doctors had assured that everything is normal. The movie final destination immediately flashed in my mind after reading this bit of news in the paper.
Old 19th June 2008, 19:52   #23
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Few points:

He needs to develop some thinking capacity, so that he could at least think and find out how he could have avoided this incident.

Education will help him. De addiction is also a form of education.
The driver should be charged with aggravated manslaughter (which is short of murder) and punished appropriately if found guilty. Might get 5 years with possibility of parole. The primary reason for such punishment is to deter other potentially drunk drivers from causing similar or worse tragedies.

Educating the driver is a smaller objective as compared to deterrence. In all probability the driver already knew about the potential dangers in drunken driving and it is doubtful if he would get reformed so easily.
Old 19th June 2008, 21:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Very said! A family wasted due to one man's stupidity!
Old 19th June 2008, 21:09   #25
BHPian

Not wanting to stir a hornet's nest....doesn't a lot of T-BHP meets involve drinking? I hope its always a sober person who does the driving after a meet.

:(
Old 19th June 2008, 21:16   #26
BHPian

Mmm. finally a rational voice pipes in - rks is right. Prison is tough, and a jailbird's life is pretty much wrecked anyway. That's enough punishment in my opinion. Crime and punishment should be proportional - if this idiot needs to be hanged/stoned etc, what do we do to cold-blooded murderers, child rapists and the like?

Condolences to the family, and hope the remaining kid keeps strong and pulls through.
Old 19th June 2008, 21:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

[quote=diabloo;872410]
1. People have to ask rational questions and act rationally. This can be achieved to some extent by education.
2.I am not sure how death penalty, kill by stoning or showing him (the drunk driver), the misery of the unfortunate family will solve this problem.[

1. Education my *** ( sorry, about the profanity ) but you just cannot educate some people on this planet and you cannot reason with 'em.
2. Believe me some people are just born bad and brought up worse and nothing can change them. Death penalty is the only solution for such people. Haven't you ever seen a guy drunk on his money power and right connections? Such guys just deserved to be shot.

Mr Diabloo, pardom my saying this but why does it sound like you are siding up with the perpetrator? This is exactly what Human Rights Organizations do. They are quick to jump to the aid of crooks and rapists rather than sparing a thought for victim. Last year in Vizag, two realtors murdered a Bank Officer whose bank financed their venture. The cops shot and killed those realtors in an encounter. Human Rights guys nearly killed themselves crying over death of those realtors. But strangely they were silent about Bank Mmanager's cold blooded murder by those realtors. Need I say more?

And yes, wish that Tata executive were driving a Tata 207 pick up truck instead of Indica. Then stroy would have been quite different.
Old 19th June 2008, 21:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The driver should be charged with aggravated manslaughter (which is short of murder) and punished appropriately if found guilty. Might get 5 years with possibility of parole. The primary reason for such punishment is to deter other potentially drunk drivers from causing similar or worse tragedies.

Educating the driver is a smaller objective as compared to deterrence. In all probability the driver already knew about the potential dangers in drunken driving and it is doubtful if he would get reformed so easily.
I think Diabloo was saying that it was an unfortunate incident that this man got stuck in. well, in my view all drunk drivers should be charged with manslaughter regardless of they hit somebody or not. with driving drunk, they have all the means to crash and kill.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:25   #29
BANNED

Respecting human rights is the duty of all humans. Anyway what should happen?
  • There is accident - surviving driver is drunk. So Police shoot him.
  • Police asks to pull over and find that driver is drunk. So they shoot him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Haven't you ever seen a guy drunk on his money power and right connections? Such guys just deserved to be shot.

Mr Diabloo, pardom my saying this but why does it sound like you are siding up with the perpetrator? This is exactly what Human Rights Organizations do.
The sequence:
Tuesday, 2.30 pm: The Kulkarnis leave their T. Nagar hotel and board a ‘call taxi’ to go to Mahabalipuram
3.30 pm: The Kulkarnis hit East Coast Road. Their driver is a man called Selvam. They plan to spend the night in Mahabalipuram
4.30 pm: Near Tiger Caves, a drunk driver rams his car into their taxi. Save one son, the family dies

So its not night, but the drunken driver accident happened in the after noon
Attached Thumbnails
Another case of Drunken driving - ECR-pc0121400.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 16:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Diabloo,
1. Driving under alcohol influence earlier a few times and not meeting with accident doesn't justify to do it again and again.
2. When on the road, one is responsible for the safety of themselves and others using the road, and that one couldn't guarantee when he is drunk.
3.So he drove under influence itself is HIS FAULT, from the very first time and every time. He got away earlier times as the great POLEECEE in Tamilnadu don't just care about drunken driving on ECRs (even after 6000+ accidents after the ECR road was built). and this time he met with an accident.
4. He too could have been killed. Yes of course. Assume he is killed too. What is the conclusion or inference. He was drunk and drove and got killed because of his 'time'? What about the other victims, who were not drunk nor associated with him being drunk?

Most Viewed