Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:10   #16
BHPian

All u shared experiences where individuals broke law and ruined public. Never thought of sharing this anywhere, but I feel you guys should aware of this as well.

Its 2 year back when I returned from a 3 months assignment in China, my house owner called me and told he would not be able to renew our ( me and my colleague stayed in a rented flat there are both of us were bachelors that time) rent agreement as he is not allowed by Noida residents welfare association to rent his flat to bachelors.

What the hell!!! We were staying in that flat for more than 1 year by that time and we always had a good relation with the people there and n one had a complaint. Then we don’t have any choice as the owner of the house is feared about going against the association, we started looking out for a flat in Noida sector 62.

We were shocked to see that none of the societies are willing to rent out the home for bachelors as a notice was issued publically to every society in Noida by the Resident welfare association. How an association can take a joint decision to go against law and against the wish of landlord (there were many landlords who want to rent out for bachelors as they will pay the highest rent ).

I was so shocked and sent a complaint to President of India (Yes. There is a website where you can lodge a complaint and presidents personal staff will read it and forward to him if needed). That time Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam was the president. I just forgot about the incident and after 6 months a court order came to Noida RWA for an explanation. They had to appear in the court and give an explanation about the circumstances they taken such a decision. But then I moved on to other projects and never followed it, don’t know what exactly happened afterwards.

This is the sate of our country. Still it the same there in Noida sector 62. No one will rent out a flat for bachelors.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 23rd June 2008 at 23:12.
Old 24th June 2008, 16:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
BTW: Did Zak got his license back ?
yes, got it back in 5 minutes after greasing hands, one thing to feel happy about - the price paid was much lower than the initial quotation, thanks to all the exprience with the local vegetable vendors Looking back, I feel I made a mistake by just handing over the licence to him, I should've first asked him why.

Last edited by carzy : 24th June 2008 at 16:28.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

I never hand my licence to the cop when asked for; I would rather read out my licence number and ask him to put it on the challan receipt. To hand over the licence and then trying to get back is real pain.

Regarding that incident at India Gate, 2 years back in the dead of the night, I would just like to add that when the next day I recounted this experience to a lawyer friend of mine, he nearly scared me to death. He said that I could have been booked for assaulting a public servant while performing his/her duty and that this offence is punishable with a simple imprisonment of 6 months or 10000 Rs. fine or both.

I lived in fear and apprehension for a few weeks expecting a notice at my doorstep for having slapped that 'thulla'...
Old 24th June 2008, 22:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I never hand my licence to the cop when asked for; I would rather read out my licence number and ask him to put it on the challan receipt.
In case you are not paying the challan amount on the spot, the cop has the right to take away your License, so in that case, merely reading out the license number won't suffice. However, one can argue what does he need it for and a bit of "smooth talking" can go a long way. Recently got an adamant cop to change "t&d" changed to "red light" offence in Delhi. Saved 900 bucks (1500-600).

Quote:
Regarding that incident at India Gate, 2 years back in the dead of the night, I would just like to add that when the next day I recounted this experience to a lawyer friend of mine, he nearly scared me to death. He said that I could have been booked for assaulting a public servant while performing his/her duty and that this offence is punishable with a simple imprisonment of 6 months or 10000 Rs. fine or both.
I don't think so GD. I guess you mentioned somewhere, the "thullas" were drunk. A public servant while on duty - drunk. so under no circumstances would have u been charged for assaulting a public servant.

However, in situations, where the cops are not drunk, it always pays to be smart. In case of Zak, rather than loosing cool, if reasoning does not prevail, one should just make a note of the cop, note down his name, other details like bike number etc etc and head straight to meet the DCP of the area or call the PCR without letting the cop get away. For all we know, he could be a fake. If he's is taking away your license, you have the right to demand for a recipt/challan by any and all means necessary.
If a visit to the DCP is not possible, a written complaint should be sent through regd. post. By law, the DCP is liable to have the complaint investigated and if necessary, register an FIR against the erring "cop".

For Zak and others, it was just a driving license but come to think of it, what is the point of fighting with some who is not even half educated as you. In a power tussle, fight only if you are stronger (socially) else be smart and walk out of the situation, learning the lesson.
The way our system works - these trivial matters, it's simply not worth the effort.

Cheers!
M2S

Last edited by married2speed : 24th June 2008 at 22:44.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
yes, got it back in 5 minutes after greasing hands, one thing to feel happy about - the price paid was much lower than the initial quotation, thanks to all the exprience with the local vegetable vendors Looking back, I feel I made a mistake by just handing over the licence to him, I should've first asked him why.
So, you were Zak. Anyways, nice to have it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
In case you are not paying the challan amount on the spot, the cop has the right to take away your License, so in that case, merely reading out the license number won't suffice. However, one can argue what does he need it for and a bit of "smooth talking" can go a long way. Recently got an adamant cop to change "t&d" changed to "red light" offence in Delhi. Saved 900 bucks (1500-600)....

Cheers!
M2S
Our system will work only once those in power have their ego i.e. pseudo ego is satisfied. But when this turns into gross misbehavior, it can be very ugly situation.
There is no point against fighting the system unless you are not a common man. For a common man, its better to lose his/her hard earned money to these people than to fight.
Its a hopeless situation which will get worse for sure.
As I have mentioned in one thread : Roads indicate culture of Nation ". No wonder we are still developing.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Our system will work only once those in power have their ego i.e. pseudo ego is satisfied.

Quote:
No wonder we are still developing
Are we? Where? where? where?? Guess, the monsoon rain washed all the development away
Old 25th June 2008, 01:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:

So, you were Zak. Anyways, nice to have it back.
Well, I helped him "shift" his licence back and forth

Quote:
if reasoning does not prevail, one should just make a note of the cop, note down his name, other details like bike number etc etc and head straight to meet the DCP of the area or call the PCR without letting the cop get away. For all we know, he could be a fake. If he's is taking away your license, you have the right to demand for a recipt/challan by any and all means necessary.
@M2S : In anger and haste, didn't check out if the cop was clean. Surely something to keep in mind for the future if not's a trivial issue.

Unfortunately, majority of those you'll meet are not educated and define "duty" as "a means of earning moolah in whichever way possible. period"

Last edited by carzy : 25th June 2008 at 01:35.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, in pouring rain, at a signal in Vashi - the lights go amber and I brake slowly so that the alto behind me doesn't bang into me.

My braking distance increases and I cross the pedestrian line and come to a stop. A cop comes to me and asks for the license. I hand it over and he asks me to park the car. I park and he walks up. I have a 100 rs note ready.

Me - " Yeh lo saab"
Cop - "Nahin, main nahi loonga"
Me - "Then?"
Cop - "I am confiscating the license, come to court and collect it"
Me - "You can fine me now and issue me a receipt and give my license back. Or take this note and hand me back the license"
Cop - "No, it's better if the money goes to the Govt."
Me (smiling) - "Thats perfect. Get your receipt book and write out the challan. I am paying the fine"
Cop take the note and asks me for my pen. I hand over the pen.
Cop searches for his challan book and then a pained expression comes over him.
Cop - "Where are you going"
Me - "Office"
Cop - "Where?"
Me - Thane Belapur road"
Cop - "Are you coming back?"
Me - "In the evening on the way home"
Cop - "Ok. Collect the receipt from me in the evening. I will be here till 9"
Me - "9 ??? In the night ???"
Cop - "Yes. Collect the receipt then"
Me - "Can I hand over the note to you then?"
Cop - open mouthed "......"
Me - "What's your name? How will I find you?
Cop - shocked - "....eerrrr... jadhav"
Me - "thanks"

And off I go to work. The note is still in the cops hand.

Old 25th June 2008, 13:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
To speak or not to speak ~ the green language?

An experience that happened in the not-so-distant past:

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post incidents which describe the misuse of power, but I need to do this not only to make others aware but perhaps "learn" about what would be the right way to proceed in such a scenario.

Zak (name changed) was parked at the side of the highway, on the phone with a friend, since talking while driving is anyways an offense, in the extreme left lane which is not utilized by traffic. It was about 8pm and there were 7-8 cars parked ahead of him about 2-4 kms away in the same lane along with 6-7 bikes.
Mostly families who were taking a break from a long drive or just having a snack.

Zak and his fiancee to whom he's been lawfully engaged, were waiting for a few friends (who have their houses bang in front of the highway) to join them as they were headed to a function. Now, in no way was his car or the other cars obstructing traffic or anything. So we have this law"maker" (person who makes the law on-the-fly) on a bike who's had a "bad day". He comes to Zak's car and asks him what he's doing to which Zak replies - I'm waiting for friends. He tells Zak to get out of the car and show him the licence. Puzzled, zak does so, he takes it, without even looking at it puts it in his pocket and tells zak to collect it from the local traffic station or police station or whatever. Very irritated and confused, zak asks him what the hell is he trying to do. In answer to this question, he starts his bike and is about to leave when Zak tells him to stop and asks him whats wrong. He says -" you're not supposed to park here", well there are 15 other vehicles parked here, Vehicles that are broken down are parked here, people jogging on this stretch have parked their vehicles here so whats wrong with zak's car being here?? Zak was screaming, shouting, trying to make him see sense but to no avail. It did seem that he was DUI coz he wasn't smelling right.

By then Zak's fiancee had come out of the car and all hell broke loose. She was giving the lawmaker a piece of her mind but this guy refused to budge. Of course, you've realised by now that his real purpose was not at all to serve the law . When he realised the two were lawfully engaged he started with " collect your licence from ...." same thing again and again. This is what happened in a nutshell. You must have understood by now that he left only when Zak spoke in the universal language understood by mankind all around the world, no translator needed.

They left very angry and frustrated, a wonderful day ruined thanks to the people who are supposed to protect the public and uphold the law.

That's one incident but there's a similar one that happened to my friends and their 4 yr old when they were parked outside a restaurant waiting for their packed dinner to arrive and they had to speak teh same language.

Now, what would you have done?? and what according to you would be the right thing to do??

PS: Please do not ask who Zak is.
Make a formal complaint to the vigilance and anti corruption division or the local court that oversees that police division. For comic relief, go to the nearest police station and file an FIR for extortion and unlawful confiscation of property.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:02   #25
BHPian

I fail to understand this

What I really don't understand is why do we simply hand out the D/l or R/c or any other document to a cop whenever he asks for it.
Even it's a formal checking that is going on, or even if we have committed a traffic offence, why don't we ask the question, "WHY"? Where's the RTI? Am I thinking the wrong the way?

Cheers!
M2S
Old 25th June 2008, 14:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I saw two 'thullas' on a bullet coming towards me and was not much bothered as I thought they were doing their ususal rounds and checking. They stopped and asked me to come out and then one of them asked me what was I doing there at that hour. I told them and was asked that who that woman was. I told that she was my wife on which they asked me to show the marriage licence. I was stunned and speechless. We were married 22 years ago in a proper Hindu tradition and did not and never required to register our marriage. When I said that I don't possess a marriage licence he used a derogatory word for my wife and I, at which I lost my cool and slapped that fellow hard.
Only their drunken stupor would have given them the courage to approach you & ask these silly questions to a man with a huge moustache in a BIG safari.
Old 25th June 2008, 15:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Today morning, in pouring rain, at a signal in Vashi - the lights go amber and I brake slowly so that the alto behind me doesn't bang into me.

My braking distance increases and I cross the pedestrian line and come to a stop. A cop comes to me and asks for the license. I hand it over and he asks me to park the car. I park and he walks up. I have a 100 rs note ready.

Me - " Yeh lo saab"
Cop - "Nahin, main nahi loonga"
Me - "Then?"
Cop - "I am confiscating the license, come to court and collect it"
Me - "You can fine me now and issue me a receipt and give my license back. Or take this note and hand me back the license"
Cop - "No, it's better if the money goes to the Govt."
Me (smiling) - "Thats perfect. Get your receipt book and write out the challan. I am paying the fine"
Cop take the note and asks me for my pen. I hand over the pen.
Cop searches for his challan book and then a pained expression comes over him.
Cop - "Where are you going"
Me - "Office"
Cop - "Where?"
Me - Thane Belapur road"
Cop - "Are you coming back?"
Me - "In the evening on the way home"
Cop - "Ok. Collect the receipt from me in the evening. I will be here till 9"
Me - "9 ??? In the night ???"
Cop - "Yes. Collect the receipt then"
Me - "Can I hand over the note to you then?"
Cop - open mouthed "......"
Me - "What's your name? How will I find you?
Cop - shocked - "....eerrrr... jadhav"
Me - "thanks"

And off I go to work. The note is still in the cops hand.
Did he hand over the license to you back ? Or is it still with that cop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Make a formal complaint to the vigilance and anti corruption division or the local court that oversees that police division. For comic relief, go to the nearest police station and file an FIR for extortion and unlawful confiscation of property.

And then keep on doing this for the entire life. The grand kids will surely get justice.
Quote:
What I really don't understand is why do we simply hand out the D/l or R/c or any other document to a cop whenever he asks for it.
Even it's a formal checking that is going on, or even if we have committed a traffic offence, why don't we ask the question, "WHY"? Where's the RTI? Am I thinking the wrong the way?

Cheers!
M2S
We must ask for the cop's authentication. You are going the right way.

O.T. :

Quote:

Are we? Where? where? where?? Guess, the monsoon rain washed all the development away
The above incidences clealy indicate that we are going nowhere. Again IMO, it shows our culture as "Roads Indicate culture of the nation ".
Old 25th June 2008, 17:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
And then keep on doing this for the entire life. The grand kids will surely get justice.

Quote:
We must ask for the cop's authentication. You are going the right way.
A genuine cop will only say " Dyon Kya" while a fake one would run for cover

Most Viewed