Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 00:41   #1
BHPian

Lawmakers"

To speak or not to speak ~ the green language?

An experience that happened in the not-so-distant past:

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post incidents which describe the misuse of power, but I need to do this not only to make others aware but perhaps "learn" about what would be the right way to proceed in such a scenario.

Zak (name changed) was parked at the side of the highway, on the phone with a friend, since talking while driving is anyways an offense, in the extreme left lane which is not utilized by traffic. It was about 8pm and there were 7-8 cars parked ahead of him about 2-4 kms away in the same lane along with 6-7 bikes.
Mostly families who were taking a break from a long drive or just having a snack.

Zak and his fiancee to whom he's been lawfully engaged, were waiting for a few friends (who have their houses bang in front of the highway) to join them as they were headed to a function. Now, in no way was his car or the other cars obstructing traffic or anything. So we have this law"maker" (person who makes the law on-the-fly) on a bike who's had a "bad day". He comes to Zak's car and asks him what he's doing to which Zak replies - I'm waiting for friends. He tells Zak to get out of the car and show him the licence. Puzzled, zak does so, he takes it, without even looking at it puts it in his pocket and tells zak to collect it from the local traffic station or police station or whatever. Very irritated and confused, zak asks him what the hell is he trying to do. In answer to this question, he starts his bike and is about to leave when Zak tells him to stop and asks him whats wrong. He says -" you're not supposed to park here", well there are 15 other vehicles parked here, Vehicles that are broken down are parked here, people jogging on this stretch have parked their vehicles here so whats wrong with zak's car being here?? Zak was screaming, shouting, trying to make him see sense but to no avail. It did seem that he was DUI coz he wasn't smelling right.

By then Zak's fiancee had come out of the car and all hell broke loose. She was giving the lawmaker a piece of her mind but this guy refused to budge. Of course, you've realised by now that his real purpose was not at all to serve the law . When he realised the two were lawfully engaged he started with " collect your licence from ...." same thing again and again. This is what happened in a nutshell. You must have understood by now that he left only when Zak spoke in the universal language understood by mankind all around the world, no translator needed.

They left very angry and frustrated, a wonderful day ruined thanks to the people who are supposed to protect the public and uphold the law.

That's one incident but there's a similar one that happened to my friends and their 4 yr old when they were parked outside a restaurant waiting for their packed dinner to arrive and they had to speak teh same language.

Now, what would you have done?? and what according to you would be the right thing to do??

PS: Please do not ask who Zak is.

Last edited by carzy : 20th June 2008 at 00:53.
Old 20th June 2008, 10:50   #2
BANNED

Sigh!!! That is life. Grin and bear on.

Else, gnash your teeth and complain and run after authorities seeking redress.
Old 20th June 2008, 11:09   #3
BHPian

We know who Zak is. We call him the Mad Mallu Monkey Mullah (M4)

On another note, I wonder what the lawmakers action would have been if he was asked for his name and ID number.
Old 20th June 2008, 11:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

I never thought that I had to narrate this incident, but reading what Zak went through, I thought I must share with you all.

Two years back, after returning from a late night (read 2.00 am) party from Hotel Meridien, Delhi, through Janpath, my wife on seeing a lone ice-cream vendor expressed a desire to have an ice-cream. So there we buy two cones and park the Safari on the side and were enjoying sitting in the car.

I saw two 'thullas' on a bullet coming towards me and was not much bothered as I thought they were doing their ususal rounds and checking. They stopped and asked me to come out and then one of them asked me what was I doing there at that hour. I told them and was asked that who that woman was. I told that she was my wife on which they asked me to show the marriage licence. I was stunned and speechless. We were married 22 years ago in a proper Hindu tradition and did not and never required to register our marriage. When I said that I don't possess a marriage licence he used a derogatory word for my wife and I, at which I lost my cool and slapped that fellow hard. He fell down on the ground (incidentally they both were drunk) and then I grabbed him by the collar and asked my wife to note the belt number and name. At which, they both started pleading and I was so furious that I called the PCR from the mobile. The PCR arrived and I made a complaint, they were taken to the Parliament PS and a report was lodged. I insisted on their medical at which the 'thulla' fraternity got together in the saving mode saying that they would do the needful.

But this Bull was very mad and wouldn't listen. Called a doctor friend of mine who was on a senior position in CGHS and asked him to come with his official stamp. He arrived (God bless him) and when he flashed his I-card and started to write on his letter pad, then they realised and took those two idiots to Willingdon Hospital and a medical check-up was done. It was established that they were drunk on duty in uniform and a case lodged. I returned home with wifey at 5 am. A party mood totally ruined.

Well, an update. In all these two years, I dunno what happened about that particular case and I never bothered as well.
Old 20th June 2008, 12:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hats off to you GD Bhai. These conmen in Khaki deserve much more.
Old 20th June 2008, 19:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I never thought that I had to narrate this incident, but reading what Zak went through, I thought I must share with you all.

Two years back, after returning from a late night (read 2.00 am) party from Hotel Meridien, Delhi, through Janpath, my wife on seeing a lone ice-cream vendor expressed a desire to have an ice-cream. So there we buy two cones and park the Safari on the side and were enjoying sitting in the car.

I saw two 'thullas' on a bullet coming towards me and was not much bothered as I thought they were doing their ususal rounds and checking. They stopped and asked me to come out and then one of them asked me what was I doing there at that hour. I told them and was asked that who that woman was. I told that she was my wife on which they asked me to show the marriage licence. I was stunned and speechless. We were married 22 years ago in a proper Hindu tradition and did not and never required to register our marriage. When I said that I don't possess a marriage licence he used a derogatory word for my wife and I, at which I lost my cool and slapped that fellow hard. He fell down on the ground (incidentally they both were drunk) and then I grabbed him by the collar and asked my wife to note the belt number and name. At which, they both started pleading and I was so furious that I called the PCR from the mobile. The PCR arrived and I made a complaint, they were taken to the Parliament PS and a report was lodged. I insisted on their medical at which the 'thulla' fraternity got together in the saving mode saying that they would do the needful.

But this Bull was very mad and wouldn't listen. Called a doctor friend of mine who was on a senior position in CGHS and asked him to come with his official stamp. He arrived (God bless him) and when he flashed his I-card and started to write on his letter pad, then they realised and took those two idiots to Willingdon Hospital and a medical check-up was done. It was established that they were drunk on duty in uniform and a case lodged. I returned home with wifey at 5 am. A party mood totally ruined.

Well, an update. In all these two years, I dunno what happened about that particular case and I never bothered as well.
Well done brother - This is the exact way how these people needs to be treated.
Old 20th June 2008, 23:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Wow, that was really bad, I understand your pain completely and would have done the same in the above situation, I'm sure those guys will think twice before misbehaving with anyone. Gr8 job! Incidentally, a relative is quite influential in the area where the incident happened but we decided to call it a day as the matter was settled. I feel the above approach is really what needs to be done in any matter involving misuse of power, no matter how trivial. I'm gonna have a few numbers on speed dial ASAP

Quote:
We know who Zak is. We call him the Mad Mallu Monkey Mullah (M4)
On another note, I wonder what the lawmakers action would have been if he was asked for his name and ID number.
Well, this Zak isn't an M4
Old 22nd June 2008, 23:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its pretty bad to know what had happened to Zak, irrespective of who he is.

GD, what you did was an excellent job.

These are incidences that keep on happening. We have to tolerate them. And tolerance is a good virtue. But when this turns into gross misbehaviour, its bad.

A case that happened 4 years ago.
My friend ( right now in US ) was returning from " extra " tuition class at around 11pm. He was punished there so he was late. While returning, on HT road, Vadodara, police stopped him and asked what was he doing. Without even bothering to see his license, and other documents, he was lathi charged.

He went home and reported this to his father. Here everything was out of control. His father took out his esteem and they went on the spot. The police men were having tea at a stall. His father hit that stall and came back home. This incident was reported on news paper also. Because of contacts, his father and family were safe.

But what really matter here, IMHO, is that the worsening law and order situation in our country. Those who are meant to protect common man is possible official criminals.

I am from Gujarat where there are restrictions on alcohol. Near my residence hardly 800mtrs away is a small " Juphadpatti ". There someone sells " alcohol ". Every night we can easily see that more than one Police van is parked and they are enjoying illegal drinks.

God help this country.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd June 2008 at 23:09.
Old 22nd June 2008, 23:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
His father hit that stall and came back home.
Do you mean his father drove his esteem into the tea stall ??

Spinner Wheelz
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

When lawmakers are like this, what would be the criminals like!!
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner Wheelz View Post
Do you mean his father drove his esteem into the tea stall ??

Spinner Wheelz

Yes, it was a " laari " and his father managed to drive into it. Policemen were injured along with the tea stall owner. A few police men were dragged with the car.

That night his father told this to local language ( Gujarati newspapaer ) daily. They reported and then when pressurized by police, his father threatened to go to electronic media.

With the help of other local's contacts, things were solved, but it was rough experience for Police.
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:18   #12
BHPian

[quote=aaggoswami;876155]

Quote:
A case that happened 4 years ago.
My friend ( right now in US ) was returning from " extra " tuition class at around 11pm. He was punished there so he was late. While returning, on HT road, Vadodara, police stopped him and asked what was he doing. Without even bothering to see his license, and other documents, he was lathi charged.
That is really pathetic. The US is gun-friendly and India is Thrash-Happy.

Quote:
He went home and reported this to his father. Here everything was out of control. His father took out his esteem and they went on the spot. The police men were having tea at a stall. His father hit that stall and came back home. This incident was reported on news paper also. Because of contacts, his father and family were safe.
I wouldn't wanna judge his dad's outburst, considering that his son was lathi-charged. But his dad's extremely lucky that he had some good contacts at hand, or else nothing would have stopped the police from metting out further atrocities.

Quote:
But what really matter here, IMHO, is that the worsening law and order situation in our country. Those who are meant to protect common man is possible official criminals.
I feel it's getting only worse by the day. The law and order is chaotic and corrupt, no wonder the criminals are having a field day everywhere. What we have in this country is a "sense of security" but no real security itself.

Quote:
God help this country
That's reallyt a lot to ask from him too
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

Before I get flamed, this happened about 7 years back when I was in college.

After a long night out at a bar, my friends were busted and drunk.
I don't drink and with no other choice had to do triple riding at 1 AM in the night.

Inner city roads and as my luck would have it stopped by cops.
There was no doubt that my friends were drunk and totally lost.

The cop in charge asked me if I did not know that triple riding is wrong.
I told him yes it was but also that I was unable to get a rickshaw at such a late hour.

Made it clear that there was no way I could have left my friends anywhere given the condition they were in.

The cop appreciated my concern and ask me to ride safe and take them home.
There are good cops and there are bad cops.
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post

That is really pathetic. The US is gun-friendly and India is Thrash-Happy.
It has to be like that.

Quote:
I wouldn't wanna judge his dad's outburst, considering that his son was lathi-charged. But his dad's extremely lucky that he had some good contacts at hand, or else nothing would have stopped the police from metting out further atrocities.
His father was arrested first when he was in college for beating a cop. The cop was drunk and hit the his bicycle. He knows most of the things. He had many other methods to deal with police. Recently a hawaldar was thrashed when he ( hawaldar ) was returning on bike by some of college students. Why this happens, mostly because of corruption that has entered the system.

Its not that I am feeling proud for what his father did. But then think again if without any fault if a son is lathi charged, what will a father do. Lodge a complaint ? And then for ever run to courts ?

Quote:
I feel it's getting only worse by the day. The law and order is chaotic and corrupt, no wonder the criminals are having a field day everywhere. What we have in this country is a "sense of security" but no real security itself.
The above incident proves that its basically the corruption that has lead to this kind behaviour. No good person feels violence is way to solve problems, but some times one has to resort to violence to solve the problems.

Quote:
That's really a lot to ask from him too
Even He must be repenting after He made this country.
We are , sorry were the cultural leaders famous for all good things. Whats happening right now makes me feel shameful as a citizen of India.

BTW: Did Zak got his license back ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 23rd June 2008 at 22:36.
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

This incident happened a month back and to a close friends uncle.

He was riding on his bike late at night and was pulled over by a traffic constable. He was asked to blow into a contraption that records alcohol level. It was well under control but the constable insisted it was above limit.

An argument ensued and the constable put the contraption in his mouth and blew into it. Voila - it was way above limit.

After a long drawn argument - money talked.

Most Viewed