Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2008, 16:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
.... Not required. I never open my hood when getting a PUC. The cert has rpm's noted on it, but dont understand how they do it. Wonder if it is in the program, based on make & model.
I did notice on few occasions they dont pop up the hood, on pestering the attendant, i got to know that the apparatus was not working and it happened 2 or 3 times for my car('03 indica V2 DLS).

IMHO, there is no way they could get the RPMs by putting a probe into the exhaust unless the probe has a sensor which has been designed to read the pulses and compute the RPMs (read it as Hypothetical Assumption).

EDIT: Nobody is absolute, so I might be wrong in coming to conclusions. Can anyone mention how do the machine compute the RPMs.
raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 21st June 2008 at 16:38. Reason: see the EDIT.
Old 21st June 2008, 16:39   #62
Team-BHP Support

Oh Damn! Just saw this now. This is terrible, sometimes people do very dumb things at the cost of others.

Rush, I do hope you get the car back in original shape without a stratch. This is just nuts!
Old 21st June 2008, 17:56   #63
ECM
BHPian

I can feel your pain but rest assure your benz will be back with same charm.Don't think much and enjoy life,good luck Rushabh.
Old 22nd June 2008, 10:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never open my hood when getting a PUC. The cert has rpm's noted on it, but dont understand how they do it. Wonder if it is in the program, based on make & model.
I can bet that you are getting a Conned Reading. The Reason I can be sure is I have a Enfield Diesel Bullet I drive around Bangalore. That thing spews out smoke to give a Diesel Locomotive the 'complex'.

I have a conman who runs a PUC cert shop in hosur road (cant disclose), who has got this preprogrammed reading of a 'clean' diesel vehicle from one of his lucky days. All I need is to go and reverse my bike, he just takes a snap, plugs in that truck's (may be) reading, and voila - I have a PUC cert for a diesel vehicle.

The 1st time i hit upon him by chance - he had to connect the PUC Machines sensor TO the fuel pipe that comes out of the mico diesel pump into the nozzle - that gives the RPM reading and the flow of diesel, and the smoke detector into the silencer. The Diesel test has to be done at 10 different RPM, cant recollect them, from idling to highest RPM. No way any of Euro-1 and less vehicles pass this stringent test. Oh and I forgot, he should also remove the Engine Oil cover, and Dip a Thermometer into the oil SUmp to check the Oil Temp at different RPM;s.

Check out the PUC you have, it will diff RPM readings at diff Oil Temp;s.

PS - how much you paid for it, the regular is 80Rs, I pay 150 (!!!)

Last edited by svsantosh : 22nd June 2008 at 10:35.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

Here in Delhi at most pumps/PUC centres they have upgraded the checking machines and the software. It requires opening of hood for both - petrol as well as diesel. They take oil temperature, connect their own RPM meter etc. A minimum of 6 readings are taken. Many times, most vehicles fail..

Quote:
GTO, that hurts. Hope she is as good as new when she's back. Not required. I never open my hood when getting a PUC. The cert has rpm's noted on it, but dont understand how they do it. Wonder if it is in the program, based on make & model.

Last edited by gd1418 : 22nd June 2008 at 11:28.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:27   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

@svsantosh, this is OT. But what's the bet ?
Old 22nd June 2008, 13:52   #67
BHPian

Terrible!!! Not only customer service, when will we learn to respect other peoples' property? Tough luck, GTO and hope that it all turns out well, and quickly!!
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:17   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have also videotaped their confession and told them in no uncertain terms that a bill of about 1.5 lac rupees should be expected. I know Auto Hangar and Merc's pricing pretty well by now. The entire door shell will need to be replaced.
My prediction was bang on target! Auto Hangar's estimate just came in : Rs.142,591. The A-Pillar needs to be corrected too; it must have taken some whack by stopping the rest of the 1,500 kgs from rolling back.
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:20   #69
BANNED

Isn't PUC done only at 'Idle RPM'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Check out the PUC you have, it will diff RPM readings at diff Oil Temp;s.
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:30   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

No. the readings have to be taken a diff rpm's. So you will need to revv up your engine when they check your engine.
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My prediction was bang on target! Auto Hangar's estimate just came in : Rs.142,591. The A-Pillar needs to be corrected too; it must have taken some whack by stopping the rest of the 1,500 kgs from rolling back.
About the A Pillar - I guessed so GTO, Do let us know about the promise from the pump manager... (is it only for the shell, or the entire door assy with power window controls, electricals, locking sys, etc etc)

PS - GTO Sir, my description of how a PUC guy checks a dieselcar... does it hold good for a Merc class car too? Does he need to connect to fuel pump, check oil temp, and gas analysis too?

Quote:
No. the readings have to be taken a diff rpm's. So you will need to revv up your engine when they check your engine.
condor - nothing material bet sir, but hoped my findings helped, Wonder if this done even for new gen Diesel cars like a Merc!!! OH And Condor sir - Forgot to say one IMP thing - The test I saw (for my single pump-cylinder diesel bike) - MUST be repeated for all 2-3-4-6 Cylinder-pump combinations -pity truck drivers, they spend at least a hour or 2 in these tests...
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My prediction was bang on target! Auto Hangar's estimate just came in : Rs.142,591.
Quite expensive. Although the pump owner paying this, he will now ( hopefully ) not let that happen again.

Quote:
The A-Pillar needs to be corrected too; it must have taken some whack by stopping the rest of the 1,500 kgs from rolling back.
When I saw the pictures for the first time, I thought that the A-pillar must have taken some load, but never revealed thinking that I am on the negative thinking side. Hope that the damage to A-pillar is minimum.

A request : Sir, can you please confirm that is it entire door assembly that will be replaced ?
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:20   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

@santosh, basically I was trying to say that I dont ask for any special testing. Go there, position the truck and do what's to be done. If I really want to, I can get such certs too - but havent tried, & will not.

Would you have more details about the procedure you mentioned ?
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:11   #74
BHPian

Thats pretty bad.

Hope the baby gets on the road soon and as good as new.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:39   #75
BHPian

Really a sad incident. Can't imagine how I would have reacted if I were in GTO's shoes. The primary fault is with the driver. He should have been extra careful while handling that expensive car.

GTO, hope your trip to lonavla on the Vtec helps you get over this.

BTW, does the car weigh only 1500 kgs??? It looks much heavier though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks