Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 01:02   #1
BHPian

Delhi - Nepal (First trip to out of India by road)

It's quite a while now, I did this trip somewhere in Jan this year I believe. But what a trip.

It was Friday I think, I was sitting down on dinner with my father. He told me about this guy in Nepal for some business purposes. We decided that we will go in the morning by car as it was a weekend, plus ot would be a adventure trip too. It Was really a quick decission. We slept of late that night unaware what this trip holds for us.

Next morning we got up at 5'0 packed 2 pairs each and took out our Accent CRDi, till this day I wonder what had gotten into me to leave pajero in the drive way and take this. May be I was to lazy to get the pajero out and get the accent back in and all. Plus I remember even the octy was parked between the two. So probably just took the easy way out.

We head on NH24 and decided to enter Nepal from Mehendranagar. At that time only some problem was going on in nepal. I don't remember exactly what but some kind of roits. So we decided that we won't go futhure than mehendranagar and called the concern person their.
Old 27th June 2008, 01:07   #2
BHPian

huh??? are u going to add more?
Old 27th June 2008, 01:09   #3
BHPian

How about a detailed travelogue with some pics?
Old 27th June 2008, 01:19   #4
BHPian

But as we left NH24 and I took on the driving seat, road actually vanished.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Then I realised farm land I was on, was road only our UP roads. Then some road patches would come and vanish again without a sign of diversion or anything. I was getting irritated and cursed mayawati all the way. Nearing on the Nepal Border. We saw some beautiful rivers and sight seeing. Reaching the border we came to know we have to first get a slip from 1km back booth. Went back in search of it, A small cottoge on the roadside in which a middleage person was sitting in all his discomfort but still very happy to see me. Asked my no. and all and asked if my car was a honda city. I said no its a hyundai accent he didn't get it though and wrote some lyuctai acorai or something like. Well as I don't wanted to waste any more time I let it be.

Next to cross into Nepal I had to cross this bridge which was only open for cars for a few hours. Luck for me I was just in time for the morning one. Even before entering Nepal I had entered into 3 registers. All this because I had a car with me and all the passengers on foot walked smiling past us. On the Indian side they gave us a slip which was to be shown at every check point. On the bridge there was another checking. Then at the exit and Then a big one just after that. Before these the 3 checkpoints were so small that anyone ought to be excused for missing them. And I don't think they would have caught me or even have tried to if I drove past them, but I let it be.

On the big check post we were asked where were we going, why, for how much time and all. And accorfing to the time and how far we were going we had to pay a fees. Now when my father opened his vallet for the first time in the journey,( till now we had only stopped once for fuel and I had used the money from my vallet) Or should I say tried finding his vallet realised he had forgotten it home. BANG!!!!

We both came back to car, I checked how much I had and if anything was lying in the car by chance. We had some 5k I believe.

yes fiery its a long story. lotz to come.

So with that 5k we decided to head forward, and aid the gaurds some 2.5k fees and went on. Now we were very well aware we had real less money in case of a emergency but enough to get back home.

Reaching mehendranagar we called up the guy but learned due to some problem he couldn't make it and was in kathmandu. After arguing a bit it was decided we would meet in some town near the other exit of Nepal (Sonali or someting). After the phonecall we realised if we go to this place we would have real less money to head back home.

We sat at a near by tea shop and decided that we will head forward keeping in mind that we would be driving on the nepal highway in night. Not exactly the best thing to happen specially with riots and all going on.

We knew we had to drive very fuel efficiently to complete our trip. Well in the sunny afternoon we hit the highway. A single road all the way but almost straight with mountain like roads. Another thing was in our mind that at the entry we were registered for only mahendernagar and now we are heading way ahead, even if we wanted to pay the tax and all we didn't had enough money.

A tata 207 full of nepali army men in blue uniform passed us. They were quite funny and dangerous looking, not exactly dangerous dangerous but it seemed they had given guns to a bunch of villagers who might not even know from which end the bullet comes out from and might shoot you by mistake, so in that way. Quickly we left them.

We saw a lot of oldies in garages on our way. Even their buses where antique type, which could fall apart any second. But these and the trucks (Almost everything is imported so lotz of trucks) with army tata 207 and jeeps were the only vehicles with a occasional private vehicle that also only of UN.

As we continue on our journey we realised this place was futhure away then we had calculated. So that means more fuel. We didn't know what to do we kept moving on not even knowing if we will make it back home or if we would survive this highway.

lot of writting, thats all for today, the story will continue so keep an eye.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd July 2008 at 15:23.
CR-V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2008, 11:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is really turning out to be some trip that you won't forget easily; like the yet to commence The Unforgettable Tour of the Bachchans..
Old 27th June 2008, 14:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Keep us absorbed by your 1 page writing and if possible update it with pics too as i am sure it might had been a great journey.
Old 27th June 2008, 14:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow Cr-V that seems like a nice trip and am really surprised you thought of taking the accent along but this might have been a saving in disguise with shortage of money and so you had to be fuel effiecient.
Waiting for more though. And ya any pics??
Old 27th June 2008, 22:40   #8
BHPian

@saurabh:- travelogue........ ahhh.... shouldn't that also tell you about a hotel to stay in? Cause this story takes a turn where we rest, but not exactly a hotel.

And pics, sorry guys none were shot. We are very frequent travellers so this one wasn't really a holiday but a normal trip which changed into something different.

Ok, so it was some 4-5'o clock when we switched places again and I came to the passenger one. Our destinaion still far from us. Countless number of checkpost passed by. And on each one we had to stop and show our slip and fill in a entry in the register. And all this was real time consuming. In between all this it struck me again that we had not got the permission to go this far, we had to turn back from mehendranagar only and were allowed a stay in Nepal for a couple of hours.
I wondered if the guys at the first check post had figured this out that we have not returned and may be were searching for us. Maybe they think we are some terrorist or spies, and every check post after I thought have the passed the message yet? But till now everything went fine.
It started to dawn and soon it was dark. It had been long since we crossed any vehicle from either side, nor did any check post came for a long time. We started wondering if we were still on the higway or have we taken some wrong route? Another hour passed still no soul....

Then we sitted some light in the distance. For the first time in the last 2 hours we actually put down the foot on the accelerator. As we closed by anxiety grew, nearer, nearer, nearer, yes! it was a town. We breath again, cheered for a bit, asked the route and yes we were on the right path. Continuing our journey for next hour we came across one town after another till we felt that we should have some dinner and gather some energy for the rest of journey.

We stopped our car at a small dhaba type thing. Run by nepalese family. And when I say family and mean literally the family. cook-mother, cashier-father, waiter/dishwasher- childern. Now that we didn't had much money to spend, we carefully asked all the prices and decided that 2 sada thali will be the cheapest. We were told it was a buffet kind thing all you can eat in some 20rs or something. (nepalese didn't had any problem with indian rupee, they just followed a simple conversion system irrespective of the rate that day, it was some 1rupee=2.5 nepa;i or something) Eating our food (which was not exaclty the best, its not that i was only used to home made food or proper hotel food, but this was realy not good). But it filled up our tanks, had some water and filled our bottels. They insited that we took biselari botels but we said no. (little they knew about our problem). Finishing of we payed the bill, but these guys were not happy with 40rs they said we had eaten to much (well we were hungry but, we had only asked dal extra) they started fighting and asking more money. But we took the stand and told them we won't pay anything extra than the amount earlier decided. I think we gave a 50 note and for the first time I saw some napelese notes.
Back on the road it was late night and time for me to get back into action. We set off, after a some 10-20km we entered some forest area. And soon a check post came into view. I got down to make the entry and as I was leaving was warned by the guards to keep my window up and door locked. As I started walking back to the car without replying to that guy, I wondered whom he was warning me against? animals? birds? or something else?

Back in the car quickly started the engine and got back on track. Soon the locks automatically locked (auto cop) and I remembered the gurads warning. Deep inside the woods the road was real twisted and strange shaped trees looked like humans from far off. It was real quite now, dad had gone off to take a nap and I was left all alone in silence.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd July 2008 at 15:24.
Old 28th June 2008, 01:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be turning out to a real humdinger..
Old 3rd July 2008, 06:21   #10
ECM
BHPian

cr-v any further follow up?
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:32   #11
BHPian

Story continues......
So I was driving through the woods in silence suddenly I see a barier in front me (no lights, paint rusted off so couldn't see earlier), hit on the brakes hard and come to halt at a safe distance. A little shaken for a while see around, it was a checkpost, A gaurd came running asked if everything was ok and then started laughing. I got down made the entry and got back in the car and went off.
Another 2 hours on the track and I knew I couldn't take more and it was best I stopped the car and rest cause I was getting sleepy. I found it creepy and unsafe to just stop on the roadside so continued for a while till I found a cillage and a house which had a real huge bulb outside it. so parked the car near that and reclined my seat. It was getting a little hot so I opened the car door. Then creepy things came to my mind, A man coming from the shadows snathcing away my stuff or stealing the car and all. But after guarding the place for a while slept off.
2-3 hours later I woke up it was some 4-5 in the morning. And we started again. After this we closed on our destination and by 10'o clock we were there.
Reaching our place we called up the concern guy and he told us he would be there in hald an hour. Till then we located a small tea shop and sat there.
We discussed about nepal and I came to know nepal was the only country in india which has its official launguage as hinda (India doesn't)

Half an hour past, a guy on a apache rtr arrives. He walks towards us and introduces himself as some dondosondo(something...). We are told we have to follow him to meet our guy. Ok we start our engines and move ahead. Withing 5 minutes we reach a bungalow we park our car outside and sit in the garden. We are told by than dondo that his apache her cost him 2 lakhs, hmmm and why so. He says cause the import duty is vey high still some 330%. He started asking me that in 2Lakhs he would get a 800 in India. I told him yes. Finally the guy arrives in a black esteem. He seemed really proud he owned a car and that to a sedan. First thing he tells us as he sit is that he has more cars but we cut him short and get to the point. A brief meeting and we are ready to leave. But he request to wait for tea, well ok (though I myself don't drink tea). We start talking about cars again, he tells me my car looked normal and he likes honda city very much (normal???? a crdi cost more than a city or atleast as much as a city.... whats the cost of a city?) anywayz out of anger (and i knew they didn't know much about cars) I tell city is a flop and this is the most happening car.(he he and they totally bought it). Ok that lie didn't hurt anyone.
Soon we said goodbye and on our way. We calculate the shortest route home and the route we came from seemed the best.

We take off and 20 minutes down the road a major traffic jam, a guy from a bus stop came running to ask for lift. New place new guy lift? he ask us where are we going we told him mehendarnagar to cross over to india. He tells that the gate will be open till 4 only and its 3 already, we would never be able to make it. We suddenly remembered the timings too. Bid that guy goodbye and thank you. Took a U turn and we are on full throtle. We had only one hour to cross to India. Speeding down crossing everyone. 30 minutes down we were closing on the border. Then a huge line of trucks on our side. Without thinking we got on the wrong side (this was a single road highway anyway) and moved past all them. 15 minutes later the truck line still continue and we hit the security check on the border. Actually we could see the securtiy check but behind a couple of trucks.

Dad went to sort the security check, while I waited patiently. 10minutes after he was back with 4-5 diffirent colour reciepts. By then even the traffic started moving. Just as he got back and we started moving, I suddenly remembered we still had some napelese money left. I spotted a money changer on the left. Handed over the car and was off. Got the money changed and ran towards the car (a million people honking behind us). moving on we crossed the border and the clock in the car struck dot 4:00.

Another hour past we decided to switch places. As I swifted to the driver seat our speed really slowed down as we hit some real bad roads.... ahh.... no roads.
After that I came across these 2 cars a toyota qualis and a elentra both VIP cars with siren on them. Started followig them. And these no matter what those guys won't hit the brakes and won't slow down and kept the same speed of 80 throughout. (80 in a no road condition) that was some real high speed.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd July 2008 at 14:56. Reason: Don't make so many back to back posts. Take your time to get your thoughts together before compiling and putting up at one go.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well well good experience.
So did CR-V make it home with the amount you had? Did his car take a beating?
Kahin math jaiye aur remote pe haath math lagaiye, Hum aayenge ek chota sa break ke baad
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:56   #13
BHPian

Continued with him for some 2 hours or so, left him and it was 8:00 now. Diesel had gone into emergency. We checked how much we were left with. some 500+ (almost 600). Banks were closed. We had three choices, to stay there till morning or fill up and move forward and reach till where ever we can, call someone where we were. Well for some reason we decided to get fuel for 500 and save the rest incase we have to call someone later.

On the fuel pump I got down and told the guy 500 sada. NOW he entered the amount and started filling (he wasn't looking at the meter) suddenly the lights went out and the meter switched off (it had almost reached 450). when the light came back the meter showed Rs4.66. Confused the guy thought he must not have started. He started again, shouting at some guy what happened and all again the meter touched some 380. lights went out again but this time he saw 380. When the light came back (within seconds) the meter was again at 4.66. He said to me wasn't it 300 something? I said I don't know I wasn't looking. Till than dad got down and ask what happened. Dad said if the meter is showing 4.66 than it must be 4.66. The guy irritated but helpless. Had to put the whole diesel again stopedd at 455 cutting the earlier 4.66.
so in total we had got diesel worths. 1285. Till now my dad was not aware of this and he thought we had got 500 only. Filled up some air in the tyres and we set off.

Back on the road my father started wondering how come the fuel pin is going so up. He said "achhaa diesel dala hai". I laughed and told him what had happened. After that we went on passed a few cities. irritated by all the bad road driving. I was honking at this guy who won't move so toched him with the car a little and he got scared to death. I wasn't sorry but sad that kind of driving isn't good no matter what.
Things went on and at 1:00am we were 50km from ghaziabad.

remember I have still not reached home..... will be back.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd July 2008 at 14:57. Reason: Don't make so many back to back posts. Take your time to get your thoughts together before compiling and putting up at one go.
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
remember I have still not reached home..... will be back.
so the climax is still due ? huh

and you know how to tell a story in a manner to keep people wanting more.

Anyways,nice story and please hurry up for the last part.
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

LOL, this is better than any movie script that I've read so far. Keep it up man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
I was getting irritated and cursed mayawati all the way.
Be careful if you attend the next NCR meet, the gentleman below may take you to task (though he's being nice at the moment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
This is really turning out to be some trip that you won't forget easily; like the yet to commence The Unforgettable Tour of the Bachchans..

Last edited by suman : 3rd July 2008 at 12:59.

Most Viewed