Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Best time to go for long drive since you will have almost nil disturbance from these guy

That's true and one of the very reasons I had planned for the trip this weekend, but i'm a bit concerned about availability of fuel on the highways.

Currently there are few contradicting reports about the effect on fuel supply because of the strike. So keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:19   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Well, the Nuke deal is to lessen our dependence on Oil for energy needs!

And reg the fuel shortage, it looks like a artificial shortage made-up by Oil Cos/bunk owners to push the premium fuels.
The plan for the use of nuclear energy is abysmal. Its more about egos. The prime minister is worried about U.S, the left parties about China. Who the heck is worried about present India ?

The oil companies have repeatedly said that oil procurement from international markets is not a concern. So, where is the shortage coming from ? These are public sector companies and have no right to force premium fuel products.

The best way for them to cut the losses is to stop doing business in oil.
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The oil companies have repeatedly said that oil procurement from international markets is not a concern. So, where is the shortage coming from ? These are public sector companies and have no right to force premium fuel products.

The best way for them to cut the losses is to stop doing business in oil.

That is exactly what should be the right business strategy - stop doing business in oil - and that is why there are no stocks of petrol and diesel. Should oil companies should fund holidays and run fuel-guzzling expensive cars at their cost?
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:38   #64
BANNED

Also there is a talk on how our PM in order to appease USA scuttled the Iran-Pak-India pipeline deal. Now we have neither the pipeline nor the nuclear deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The prime minister is worried about U.S, the left parties about China. Who the heck is worried about present India ?
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:50   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO this is a man-made crisis and not due to any 'imminent real' shortage. some guys decided to make big bucks on commodity trading.

On the brighter side, this is possibly the best thing that can happen to our cities and the planet in general. Cleaner energy options must be explored.
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:16   #66
Senior - BHPian

Situation seems to have softened a little today. Not much of queues in the bunks. Saw a few tankers unloading in almost all the bunks.
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

I did see many trucks plying on the road today and also oil tankers. I think the situation is returning to normal.
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Oil marketing strategies ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Situation seems to have softened a little today. Not much of queues in the bunks. Saw a few tankers unloading in almost all the bunks.

Looking back in retrospect : it really seems to have been due to some "logistics issue", as stated by the authorities. But whether this "logistics issue" was natural or 'man-made' remains to be seen. The reason I am saying this is the below observation :

After Shell decided to sell only the premium fuels, the Shell outlet near my house used to be empty most of the time (I was wondering how they managed to run the unit now). But the last few days, they have been doing roaring business : they never seemed to have run out of their 'premium ' fuel stock. In fact, yesterday I could see another oil tanker waiting to fuel up (so 'premium' diesel is also available here, and NO, it was not the Shell tanker waiting to unload stock).

Anyway, the situation is getting better : the coastal tankers are supposedly unloading more oil stock at the Ennore port.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 2nd July 2008 at 13:29.
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:44   #69
BANNED

Driving down to Coimbatore tomorrow from Bangalore, anyone know whether the bunks on the way are operational?
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Last 2 days I have seen people carrying huge barrels in autos & getting them filled up from more than one bunk. A 10L here, a 15L there. Wonder what they were doing with all this fuel. probably for cab operators or for reselling ?
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:55   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Last 2 days I have seen people carrying huge barrels in autos & getting them filled up from more than one bunk. A 10L here, a 15L there. Wonder what they were doing with all this fuel. probably for cab operators or for reselling ?
Today's paper reported that there were illegal selling of petrol in bottles.

These guys might have rationed the fuel filled in the barrels at a higher rate in the bottles.
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:59   #72
Team-BHP Support

All these logistics and other supporting arguments etc are just that, arguments. Actually oil companies are trying to cut their losses. They have some strong men sitting at the helm and they decided that since they can not directly fight it out with the legalities and govt pressure they will do it the crooked way.

So they create scarcity of regular fuel and then sell the so called "premium" fuel at higher prices. They have reduced supply to most of the bunks. However none of them are willing to acknowledge this and feign ignorance. Recently the AP civil supplies dept issued a notice to all the fuel supplying companies to mend their ways immediately failing which action will be initiated. They all denied such problems even exist and gave the same excuses of these being stray cases and all. Since then of course the situation has improved somewhat at least in Hyderabad. The problem still remains acute in interior andhra.

They are trying similar tricks in TN, Karnataka etc. The govt in these places need to be strong enough to initiate action against the topmost honchos of these oil companies based out of their respective states. They will immediately fall in line.

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd July 2008 at 15:01.
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:03   #73
BHPian

Wow - Madan on a cycle ...wish I had known would have been there with a camera to capture it.
Couple of questions come to mind such as:
1. What route did you take ?
2. How long did it take in the evening to get back and at what time ?
3. Are you back to using the car today ? ;-)
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

In Maharashtra, fuel crises is fueling anger of vehicle owners. Long ques, short supply and heavy price will lead to slowdown vehicle market.
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Wow - Madan on a cycle ...wish I had known would have been there with a camera to capture it.
Couple of questions come to mind such as:
1. What route did you take ?
2. How long did it take in the evening to get back and at what time ?
3. Are you back to using the car today ? ;-)
its not that bad man! with a new funky cycle...
route is the same, nungumbakkam, gemini, kotturpuram, madhyakailash and office.
in the evening it took me a little longer as i went to mylapore and then got home i thinki did about 45 odd kms yday.
had to go back to using the car - as the wife was very upset with me cycling back home at 10pm.

Most Viewed