Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Wheel gets into a deep left-open man-hole!

My Tata Indica's front right tyre got into a round deep man hole this morning. Almost 75% of the wheel was inside the hole.. There was only an inch gap between the ground and the car's chassis. The car got tilted to one side with the opposite rear left wheel lifted up! See the attached picture, pardon my poor drawing skills.

I tried revving the car backwards but the tyre was only freely rotating inside the man hole.. So a few passer-bys helped lift the vehicle and then I could reverse it.

My question is - will this result in any damage to any part of the vehicle? Should I get wheel alignment done for this particular wheel again? Will the balancing be intact or that also should be redone?
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel gets into a deep left-open man-hole!-car-into-hole.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2008, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
My Tata Indica's front right tyre got into a round deep man hole this morning. Almost 75% of the wheel was inside the hole.. There was only an inch gap between the ground and the car's chassis. The car got tilted to one side with the opposite rear left wheel lifted up! See the attached picture, pardon my poor drawing skills.

I tried revving the car backwards but the tyre was only freely rotating inside the man hole.. So a few passer-bys helped lift the vehicle and then I could reverse it.

My question is - will this result in any damage to any part of the vehicle? Should I get wheel alignment done for this particular wheel again? Will the balancing be intact or that also should be redone?
Well ! That is bad for sure and instead of the drawing , a picture of the damage would have been much much better for experts here to comment (Sorry! I know you would have definitely got haywired with your beloved ride in such a mess and getting a pic is out of question). Anyways ! definitely you need to get wheel alignment done and if there is not enough damage it should be fine. I will leave in house experts to comment on this.
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

wow, I saw a Santro with its front left wheel stuck in a similar condition yesterday near the Cyber Towers signal.
Was wondering apart from lifting by bystanders or a crane, is there any other way to get the vehicle out.
and what impact it would have on the wheels/ car and so on.

And here is a thread on this.

was the internet created by the devil when god was sleeping.
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:37   #4
BANNED

Wheel alignment, balancing, Suspension work. Pls post pics and any mention problem which you are facing after this accident
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Too bad. As suggested elsewhere a photograph would have explained better. BTW, I would like to know as this happened in the morning, how come you did not see the open manhole?

Now coming to damages, wheel balancing & alignment should be done right away. Raise the vehicle on the ramp and have the underbody examined for damages to suspension or any other vital part.
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check:
1. Tyre
2. Rim
3. Lower arm (track control arm)
4. balance and alignment
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Once My NHC Vtec's Front Right Tyre went into a similar situation
Open manhole. Free rotating tyre.

Few guys lifted it and i reversed it.
Checked the tyre rim and all , was ok
only a few scratches on the right side front bumper
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

What i would suggest is to go to the workshop and get the car throughly checked.

Nothing else will do
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:16   #9
BHPian

overkill?

Similar to abhinav.gupta's case.. I checked for damages to tyre and rim. Things look fine except a few scratches in the underbody of the front bumper. Getting the car 'thoroughly' checked for this incident (minor, in my opinion) seems overkill. I'll get the wheel alignment and balancing done. Will ask the tyre guys to check for damages. If any, I'll take it to workshop.. Else I'll skip the workshop part.. what say?
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:56   #10
BHPian

Had been through a similar situation, with the front left wheel getting into a pavement slab, with our Indica. Apart from parts mentioned above, the tie rod needs to be checked for sure. I had to get it replaced after this incident. Also, do take look at the crankcase sump region.
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Being Safer in never an Overkill

Quote:
Similar to abhinav.gupta's case.. I checked for damages to tyre and rim. Things look fine except a few scratches in the underbody of the front bumper. Getting the car 'thoroughly' checked for this incident (minor, in my opinion) seems overkill. I'll get the wheel alignment and balancing done. Will ask the tyre guys to check for damages. If any, I'll take it to workshop.. Else I'll skip the workshop part.. what say?
Get the car to a workshop and check it brother to be on the safe side as according to me its not an overkill @least to me as i would have definitely done that. Bumper scratches in the underbody are normal in such cases but do get it checked for the wheel and tire that took the dip. Drive safe.
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Check the tie road and crossmember.
Turn steering full lock to either side and drive.
If there are no weird noises, you are safe.
No need for wheel balancing, but get alignment checked. During the alignment process they check the tie rods etc., thoroughly and you will get to know whats the damage
Avoid going to a TASS without knowing what needs to be changed
Old 3rd July 2008, 18:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

I Checked the same a few minutes back
Everything fine , no wierd noise, alignment was checked, thankfully no damage.
Old 8th July 2008, 14:13   #14
BHPian

check-up..

Guess an update is pending from my side.

I took my car to the Bridgestone tyre zone center in Outer Ring Road, Bangalore. The guy put the car on a pedestal and had a check at the underbelly. There were some scratches to the bumper around the tyre area and that was it.

There are were no other damages to tie-rod & other steering/suspension parts around the wheel, thankfully. I asked him to do a wheel alignment and he said that is not required.

He asked me to test if the car steers to one side if steering is kept straight & come back if required. I did test if this happens but negative. So I can sleep in peace I guess.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think so..

Quote:
Guess an update is pending from my side.

So I can sleep in peace I guess.
twentycharecters.

Most Viewed