Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2005, 07:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
infact, i drove the accent gtx with abs, and simulated a panic stop at 120, on a dusty road (a nightmare with regular brakes). every time you hear the ssshhh of the car beginning to skid, the brakes unlocked. the system works brilliantly. but the tyres (crappy bridgestone potenzas) can't handle the load, and squeal like molested cats.

cheers

viper

Hehehehe the stock tyres on the accent are just pathetic....n molested cats lol.

Drifter
Old 5th March 2005, 10:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkulkarni
Beemer,

Man thank your lucky stars that you are alive & writing this post! Driving w/o seatbelts at 140kmph on a highway..what were you thinking? or you were testing the crash worthiness of a Skoda Ever noticed how its written SRS Airbag? Which means its a Supplementary Restraint System..the Primary being Seat belts. Just imagine a situation where your car had not been equipped with Airbags. Sends a shiver down the spine..doesn't it? Remember, first come seatbelts & then everything else. I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh but it just gets to my gut when educated people behave/act no better than illiterate villagers.
couldnt have put it better !
Old 5th March 2005, 20:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

about ABS

hey...i have a skoda TDI..i wonder if u can get cross drilled discs for it and equip it with a ABS system...and wats EBD??
Old 5th March 2005, 21:59   #49
Team-BHP Support

You can do all these from your dealer but be prepared to shell out a huge amount.
EBD is Electronic Brake Distribution system.
Old 6th March 2005, 01:24   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkulkarni
Beemer,

Man thank your lucky stars that you are alive & writing this post! Driving w/o seatbelts at 140kmph on a highway..what were you thinking? or you were testing the crash worthiness of a Skoda Ever noticed how its written SRS Airbag? Which means its a Supplementary Restraint System..the Primary being Seat belts. Just imagine a situation where your car had not been equipped with Airbags. Sends a shiver down the spine..doesn't it? Remember, first come seatbelts & then everything else. I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh but it just gets to my gut when educated people behave/act no better than illiterate villagers.

I agree guys , not wearing seatbelts was a blunder mistake i did and the very first thing i do now , when i enter the car is to wear seatbelts .
Old 6th March 2005, 01:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well guys, all this talk of ABS over the past few days, and guess what...I'm actually glad my Getz has ABS, 'cause on a drive from Bombay to Pune yesterday, I came around a blind corner on the ghat section (just after the Lonavala off-ramp) in the fast lane only to find a board in my face warning of road-works 20-30 meters ahead!

I stood on the brakes good and hard, and the Eagle F1s coupled with the ABS brought me to a stop well short of the board!

So here's to ABS!

Though it does make you wonder how the morons that put the board there didn't realise it was an accident waiting to happen. I mean, how much thought would it take to realise that moving the board to the start of the curve instead of the end would be a good idea?
Old 6th March 2005, 02:16   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75
Well guys, all this talk of ABS over the past few days, and guess what...I'm actually glad my Getz has ABS, 'cause on a drive from Bombay to Pune yesterday, I came around a blind corner on the ghat section (just after the Lonavala off-ramp) in the fast lane only to find a board in my face warning of road-works 20-30 meters ahead!

I stood on the brakes good and hard, and the Eagle F1s coupled with the ABS brought me to a stop well short of the board!

So here's to ABS!

Though it does make you wonder how the morons that put the board there didn't realise it was an accident waiting to happen. I mean, how much thought would it take to realise that moving the board to the start of the curve instead of the end would be a good idea?

I am glad 2 that ABS did what it is supposed to do and finally being appreciated !
Old 6th March 2005, 02:41   #53
Team-BHP Support

gald to know u and u re frnd are ok
take care , and thanks for increasin goodwill for abs in my mind ! watt abt the claim , did it cover u re loss ?

manson .

Note from Moderator : Please use correct english and not slang language . This is your last warning after which you will be banned

Last edited by Dippy : 6th March 2005 at 12:45.
Old 11th March 2005, 00:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
gald to know u and u re frnd are ok
take care , and thanks for increasin goodwill for abs in my mind ! watt abt the claim , did it cover u re loss ?

manson .

[/b]

Well , unfortunatly my car was insured from HDFC chubb ,
so for those who have experienced them , i dont think ,i need to tell them but ya ,for those who haven't ,
i would say better keep the distance coz they really take hell lot out of you !!!

Last edited by Beemer : 11th March 2005 at 00:27.
Old 11th March 2005, 10:13   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well , unfortunatly my car was insured from HDFC chubb
Damn! thats not what i wanted to hear! I just renewed my insurance with them. I thought they would be better than New India. they say you don't have to pay in case of an accident. The insurance covers the bill directly. Thats what i liked.
Old 11th March 2005, 14:56   #56
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Tata Aig

Rtech,

Next time go for TATA AIG. They're fantastic..no hassles in passing claim & the day your car is ready just pay the little amount that you are supposed to & walk off. New India is so pathetic that I got my cheque after 45days after the car had been delivered. I think most of the private insurance companies these days have direct settlement policy.
Old 11th March 2005, 15:10   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Damn! thats not what i wanted to hear! I just renewed my insurance with them. I thought they would be better than New India. they say you don't have to pay in case of an accident. The insurance covers the bill directly. Thats what i liked.
You can still transfer your insurance policy - As RJkulkarni said, go with Tata-AIG which is by far the best insurance company I have dealt with.

GTO
Old 11th March 2005, 20:33   #58
BHPian

i have insured my car with bajaj allianz... how are they??
Old 12th March 2005, 00:27   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech

Rtech , they are right ,you need not to pay anything (except the depreciation and the access clause) and they deal with some companies directly as per their tie ups !!!

But hang on ... in not so major accidents they treat you quite well and deal directly with the service centers (as told to you) , but mine was a total loss case ,so nothing to do with the service center ,hence it took me more than 3 months to reach to a final settlement and still i was not satisfied (to be honest ,i was forced to compromise as i was not too keen to go to the consumer court) !!!

So, as i had the time as well as money loss , i personally don't recommend it but ya any day , they are far far better then your New india . Hope so the are back on your face !!!

Last edited by Beemer : 12th March 2005 at 00:30.
Old 26th March 2005, 20:34   #60
BHPian

Driving without seatbelts on an expressway in the night @ 140kph!!!
Atleast the primary safety system has to be deployed before you expect the secondary one to work.
My seat belt is put on even during city drives.Why?Please read on:
Let me share a very sad experience one of my acquaintances has gone through.This happenned in 2000/01
That person was driving (Zen/Indica - Dont remember exactly)with his little daughter on the front seat somewhere near Thane on the Eastern Express Highway.He was coming from Nashik.
He was in the slowest lane @ 70kph when all of a sudden the Tanker trailer in front of him in the middle lane suddenly swerved to the left ,apparently to avoid someone crossing the road.This poor chap literally stood on the brakes to avoid collision.Collision,he managed to avoid but due to the braking his daughter literally flew from the front seat(She was not wearing a seat belt,you see) and her head hit the dashoard and wind shield.There were no external injuries but the man lost his daughter due to his carelessness.She was just 5 years old.
Learnings:

1)When you drive think everybody else is a fool.
2)Always wear a seat belt.
3)Be prepared for the worst.In that case your reactions are sharper.
4)Maintain a distance of atleast two car lengths with the vehicle is front.Especially during night driving,if your vehicle crosses the headlight beam's throw in less than 3 secs...please check your speedo and slow down.

You were lucky, that little girl wasn't.Dont try your luck for the second time.
Cheers!!!

Rahul.
rahulvilas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks