Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 17:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Road Sense and No Sense of responsibility

Friday Night, sitting at home with family enjoying dinner. Keep getting harassed by friends who are out partying to join them.
Finally decide to leave and am driving to the club around 10.30. Not going fast averaging 50-60 in my Baleno. There is a left ahead followed by a quick right and the right is a one way, so I am going the right direction..get tempted to push the car through the turns quickly but refrain as my suspension is not upto the mark nor are my brakes. Continue at the cruising speed. Take the left no issues whatsoever.

As I take the right there is a guy on the scooter with his wife and two daughters coming down the one way on the centre of the road!! Brake the car..stop about an inch from the guys leg. I am scared out of my pants..a FAMILY!!!!! The Girl starts crying out of shock..I am furious I just keep yelling at him One way !One Way! he too is shocked to reply and just moves away...
I sit there for a minute calming my nerves...thinking about all the ifs.

I pray silently and continue..thinking what sense of responsibilty did the person have who takes his family's lives so lightly. If I was faster or did not brake in time, if the car did not stop..etc. etc. the list goes on.

Firstly its 4 on a scooter! then going down the wrong way on the center of the road at 10.30 in the night.
iceman91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2008, 17:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Damn! what a scary experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Firstly its 4 on a scooter! then going down the wrong way on the center of the road at 10.30 in the night.
There are lots of people who believe traffic rules don't apply between 9PM to 7AM.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

What an experience man!!

I came across a guy last night, who had stopped in the middle of the road, near the median, to attend a call on his mobile!!!
Old 8th July 2008, 17:57   #4
niti

Quote:
Friday Night, sitting at home with family enjoying dinner. Keep getting harassed by friends who are out partying to join them.
Finally decide to leave and am driving to the club around 10.30. Not going fast averaging 50-60 in my Baleno. There is a left ahead followed by a quick right and the right is a one way, so I am going the right direction..get tempted to push the car through the turns quickly but refrain as my suspension is not upto the mark nor are my brakes. Continue at the cruising speed. Take the left no issues whatsoever.

As I take the right there is a guy on the scooter with his wife and two daughters coming down the one way on the centre of the road!! Brake the car..stop about an inch from the guys leg. I am scared out of my pants..a FAMILY!!!!! The Girl starts crying out of shock..I am furious I just keep yelling at him One way !One Way! he too is shocked to reply and just moves away...
I sit there for a minute calming my nerves...thinking about all the ifs.

I pray silently and continue..thinking what sense of responsibilty did the person have who takes his family's lives so lightly. If I was faster or did not brake in time, if the car did not stop..etc. etc. the list goes on.

Hi,
Most of the motorist think that traffic rules shuts off after 10PM.
Regards,
Niti

Old 8th July 2008, 17:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
What an experience man!!

I came across a guy last night, who had stopped in the middle of the road, near the median, to attend a call on his mobile!!!
Happens a lot of times. I have seen people on the bike with one leg on the median talking on the mobile phone without bothering about the traffic movement behind them. Also bikers dropping off people on the median, hate to see such morons on the road.

On a lighter note, may be this guy was answering a call from hell
Old 8th July 2008, 18:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

As Samurai has said, the rules will go for a toss after 9PM. Nobody will follow the traffic rules leave along red lights (signals).

One more problem is the autos and other educated lot parking their autos/cars right in the corner of the road turning wherein it will block the view of people who wants to take turn. Don't know when the better sense will prevail and these people will learn.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:06   #7
niti

Once happend to me. I was driving on Banglore Chennai highway at a speed of 120 KM at night arround 10.30PM. As i was taking a right turn at that speed i was on the middle of the road. To my shock close to the median on wrong side a motorist. For a moment i thanked GOD and my luck.

Old 8th July 2008, 18:10   #8
BANNED

"YEH HAI INDIA MERE BHAI", got to take stuff lightly , otherwise one is bound to loose nerves.
Best option is to drive slow & steady , so that braking is easy. You never know when a senseless person comes your way & dashes in & before you even know people gather & put the blame on car , saying ' car wale hi tez chlate hain". Then the whole drill of police & courts, uff.. GOD only save!
Old 8th July 2008, 18:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I take the right there is a guy on the scooter with his wife and two daughters coming down the one way on the centre of the road!!
With his headlights not working, I am sure.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

headlights...what Headlights..!!!

It was a wonder the vehicle was roadworthy
Old 8th July 2008, 18:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Driving in India, Rule no.1 - Always anticipate the un-anticipateable.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
As I take the right there is a guy on the scooter with his wife and two daughters coming down the one way on the centre of the road!! Brake the car..stop about an inch from the guys leg.
That is ONE scary experience, dude, even for Iceman. People take too many risks with their own and their families' lives here where life is cheap, IMHO. All's well that ends well, I guess.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:32   #13
rks
BANNED

Quote:
I am scared out of my pants....The Girl starts crying out of shock..
Naturally....
Quote:
iceman, it seems you have not yet made the transition from Melbourne to Bangalore. Actually you should expect 4 on a scooter coming down the wrong way on the wrong side of the road if you are in Bangalore (or Pune, where I stay). Annoying habit that two-wheeler guys have, of taking turns on the wrong side of the road.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:41   #14
BHPian

dude, you must be glad that you didn't overspeed.
hope the scooter guy learnt a lesson.
Old 8th July 2008, 18:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Anyone from Pune would know the torture on the four wheel drivers from the Two Wheel drivers. It is HELL here. Worse is the scene in main city areas (all Peths & Laxmi Roads). I never take my car there. Instead, I take a rick. Feel lucky if your car comes out scratchless off these areas.
Two wheelers rule the roads of Pune. They aint have any fear, whatsoever. If you tell them something like "bhaisab thoda dekh liya hota turn marne se pehle", you are sure to listen to some bad words and they are always ready for a small fight. Phew.

Now after marriage, I have stopped to even tell anything to them. Dont want my family to listen to all those crap they speak. No One would want that, right.

Just yesterday, driving my New Palio, I took a right. A two wheeler took a right as well after me. He wants to overtake me during the turn for an immediate left. . He looses control. Thankfully, I applied the brakes on time, else my new possession would have been Dented on the front right side. Also to mention is that it was raining.
Another instance. Was waiting at a signal. A two wheeler comes from nowhere and bangs on the left ORVM. Thankfully just a scratch. No use telling them anything. Because just talking to such guys is an insult. I just cant come to their level and talk.

Aint this torture. It takes some time for me to cool my nerves after such instances. I have now learned to live with such traffic sense.

@ Gods-envy: Nothing, and I mean Absolutely nothing, can make such drivers learn lesson. Changing ones mentality is the most difficult of all, and one, two, even ten instances cannot do it.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 8th July 2008 at 18:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks