Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 22:09   #46
BHPian

Smoking While Driving

This thread is about smoking while you are driving a Car Or Bike.
I wanted to Discuss this from a long time atlast I got time to do... If this Thread is already exist please merge.
I have seen people smoke while they are driving car keeping their hand out. Or some time they put their hand out while dusting the ash. I think they should stop or keep their ash in side the Car as every car has ash tray now a days. But people will not prefer to dirt their own car as we all are selfish.
Incidents --
1. The flame(red fire) came off from a front Car and Directly hit to my friend's Eye Ball. Almost lost his eyes.
2. I asked a person @ MG Road. He kept his Cig Inside a Car.
3. Today I asked a guy who was driving a alto with a lady. He asked me "What Bother You" (My wife listen not me). I dont know if this drivers has enough sense or not.
Old 30th October 2008, 23:59   #47
BHPian

Well interesting thread
However I don’t agree with you smoking is a bad habit however it’s a personal choice of a person to smoke or not to smoke
And smoking in ones car or bike is also a personal thing
Yes I do smoke in my car and I prefer to ash it outside most of the times
Any ways the streets are more filled with dust and other pollutants that’s different
But when I am smoking in my car while driving and some one tells me to stop
I will says what’s your botheration.

That’s my personal point of view and I don’t mean any offence to any one.
Old 31st October 2008, 00:17   #48
abk
BHPian

Interesting topic! I for one smoke while driving. Though I didn't and maintained my car as strictly non-smoking despite all my mates smoking which meant pulling over and stopping by the side of the roads even on hot sultry days of Delhi But then later i started to smoke in the car triggered by the cost quoted by Honda gurgaon to bring the car back to what they it requires. However, i have now been sensitised by the original post and will be careful next time when i ash my bud outside the window. Besides in Delhi one cannot smoke while driving
Old 31st October 2008, 00:50   #49
BHPian

i dont really prefer smoking when i ride.it engages one of your hands and can cause accidents.though it is easier to smoke in a car,even that can lead to accidents.so why risk yours and other's lives for just a puff? if i feel like smoking, i stop my bike and smoke. that happens only on longer highway rides. in the city, i prefer sitting at a pan tapri and have a smoke rather than while riding, i wouldn't encourage anyone to smoke while riding/ driving.its too risky in my view. stop and enjoy the puff in peace is what i think
Old 31st October 2008, 07:02   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I smoke, but I never smoke while driving.
Once a burning cigarette flew from the drivers side window into my window and burnt my hair so it is a definite no no for me.
Old 31st October 2008, 09:43   #51
Team-BHP Support

Used to, but very very rare. And never when either stuck or driving in a lot of traffic.

btw. Today is 59 days since my last cig.
Old 31st October 2008, 10:01   #52
BHPian

What hurts me most is that even the ash hits the drivers eyes very rudely following the car. It happened to me a couple of times, and from that time onwards, I keep my windows closed

Just imagine anything falling in your eye and irrates you, impulsively you close your eye and you cannot see a damn thing riding in the city above 60 kph and BANG, there goes one soul.

Kindly be considerate to fellow human being lives when you do the act of throwing ash out of your car.
Old 31st October 2008, 10:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
1. The flame(red fire) came off from a front Car and Directly hit to my friend's Eye Ball. Almost lost his eyes.
that's a one off thing... sheer bad luck that the amber came from the side of the car, flew back and instead of hitting the windshield or being deflected by the airflow, it came through the open window into your friend's eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post
Well interesting thread
However I don’t agree with you smoking is a bad habit however it’s a personal choice of a person to smoke or not to smoke
Any ways the streets are more filled with dust and other pollutants that’s different
i second that. however, i refrain from blowing smoke out of the car at traffic signals if another bike or car with open windows is very close to mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Today is 59 days since my last cig.
congrats! how did you manage to stop?! pointers please?
Old 31st October 2008, 11:12   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post
Well interesting thread
But when I am smoking in my car while driving and some one tells me to stop
I will says what’s your botheration.

That’s my personal point of view and I don’t mean any offence to any one.
Again here you are showing the sense of your driving. Obviously it does not bother you. But it bother who is coming behind you in a bike or some one walking in a street. We all in Bangalore dont have car. Many people drive/prefer Bike rather than a car.
If you are that much eager to smoke in car you always can use your ASH tray in your car. I have also given a example what happen to my friend. I hoped that you could have under stand why you should bother.
Many personal things in life can not be done as where you like...

-- Thanks --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
that's a one off thing... sheer bad luck that the amber came from the side of the car, flew back and instead of hitting the windshield or being deflected by the airflow, it came through the open window into your friend's eye.
My friend was in Bike not in Car. In India we drive more Bike than Car.

My car is Non-Smoking Zone.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st October 2008 at 15:40. Reason: see note in post
Old 31st October 2008, 11:19   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this topic was discussed before on the forum before. Smoking and doing it inside a car is both personal choices and nobody can stop somebody from doing it.

I light up in a car only if the pangs are uncontrollable and do take care that i tap the ash out carefully so as not to be a bother to others.

Essentially, i am not going to stop smoking inside my car as its my personal choice
Old 31st October 2008, 11:24   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
congrats! how did you manage to stop?! pointers please?
Cold Turkey.

Ramzan started and I cannot smoke when fasting.
Usually I would sneak a smoke before the night prayers.
This year I decided to skip that.
10 days later I thought what the hell. Decided to see if I can cross the month.
Did that.

If you are planning to quit smoking. One word of advise. You are never ever going to be a NON SMOKER. You are always an EX SMOKER. One puff and that is all it takes to get you back into the habit.

All my previous attempts failed because of that one PUFF. DONT ever ever smoke again. And quitting smoking is not easy. Any kid can start smoking, only a man can give it up.

(A lot of quotes are from websites I have been reading)

Two interesting facts caused me to turn against smoking.
As a Muslim, I try to pray my Namaz on time everytime. Smoking makes your mouth stink. One of the main requirements for Namaz is to be clean. My current understanding is that Namaz cannot be read by a smoker who has not yet cleaned his mouth. There is no fatwa or any such thing about this. But I define my faith by my understanding. And I choose to understand it this way.

Ever wondered why you dont feel hungry when you smoke. Search google for Smoking and Blood Sugar. Its a little scary when you realise the effects.

Mods: I know I am going OT but any thing that can make a person give up this habit is IMHO welcome. Thanks.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:25   #57
BHPian

Smoking while driving is cool period..
i am not a smoker but my dad does drive while he is smoking. its so cool..i just stare with all praise when he does that..hehe.. and yeah he does a put ash outside..big deal..thats also cool

i know i will be flamed!!! bring it on...hahaha
Old 31st October 2008, 11:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Throwing any kind of trash, be it plastic bags, torn receipts or cigarette ash from the car is a despicable act. And the nonchalant attitude of people who do it (who, i am assuming are possessing atleast basic education and a decent upbringing) is a testimony to the fact that we can never have clean cities.

As for the "personal choice" argument, I'd respect your personal choice if you dont pollute the air i am breathing. Otherwise, there are a few "personal choices" available to me as well which wont seem that personal to others
Old 31st October 2008, 11:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Smoking inside the car is personal choice. I also get irritated when somebody tries to light up his Cigarate inside my car. I tell them very bluntly that "no smoking inside my car" how much ever friendly he is to me.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:00   #60
BHPian

I am a smoker and rarely smoked while driving or inside a car. I smoked a couple of times while on bike. I do not smoke inside a car or when children are around for I do not want others to be affected. Even though it is personal thing It is nice to be considerate.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks